• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New injection pump,still no start!

I just put a new injection pump on,cranked and cranked. I have fuel in the pump I took the top cover off. When I take the return off it squirts fuel out and it's bubbly. Glow plugs all checked out good but the #1. With the start switch on both the coils on top of the IP have power and I can pull the wires off and hear them click. New fuel filter and pulled fuel tank drain to inspect and check fuel all good. The protection control box clunks when I turn it on and the wait light stays on for a few seconds then off. I have ground harness installed and iam going to put new glow plugs in tomorrow. I still don't understand why iam not getting fuel to the injectors.

dilvoy

OK well1 the nipple that the return hose from the injectors is attached too is not just a nipple, it has a glass plunger with a spring inside of it. That can get stuck with bits of decaying return hose after thirty some odd years. You can remove it and try to blow through it. Looking through it is not good enough, because the plunger is clear glass. I just get a very small screw driver and smash it out, and then dig out the bits with a paper clip with a small bend at the end. The spring can be removed too. If you install it and your vehicle starts as normal, you could leave it as is or order a new nipple. When the plunger is stuck closed, the internals that are affected by fuel pressure within the upper part of the IP go to full retard and make it super hard to start the engine and usually makes for low power. Might not be your problem, but it is easy enough to look into. A fuel lift pump with a torn diaphragm can give you issues and possibly being old enough to not be trust worthy, might be something to look into as well.

Barrman

Are you getting blue/white smoke out the exhaust while cranking? That means there is fuel, but no heat. No smoke of any kind normally means no fuel.

Guyfang

Staff member
You know, every time this has happened to me over the last 40 years, and I am a generator guy, (but a IP is a IP) but everytime this happened, I timed the engine again, pulled the IP, advanced it 180 degrees, and it worked. Every time. Are you 1000% sure you got it right when you put the new one in? It's just a thought.

Put it in just like the old one came out I put a new return valve in today. When I crack open the bleader on the fuel filter I get lots of air there was air in there from last night seams odd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks