• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New injector pump. Wont start

Jerrydavis1224

1970 m35a2 old injector pump was only putting fuel to the #6 injector and it was only a dribble of fuel. Not near enough to pop injector. I put a new pump on and its the exact same thing with new pump. In tank pump is good and putting plenty kf fuel to the boost pump on the side of the injector pump. Cleaned the housing and mount for the two post filters and changed them. Getting fuel throught them and back to the tank. Also all check valves and pressure valves are clean and working properly. I have a tried everything i can think if and i am stumped.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just asking did you follow the TM on install? It does get a little confusing but not too hard. Did you recheck timing to start with?

Jerrydavis1224

When you installed the new pump, did you look at the drive gears on the engine ?
Its got fuel to the injector pump and some times it will pump fuel fuel out of the hydraulic head and some times it wont. It’s almost like its air locked but ive done everything i can think of to get the air out of the system

rustystud

Its got fuel to the injector pump and some times it will pump fuel fuel out of the hydraulic head and some times it wont. It’s almost like its air locked but ive done everything i can think of to get the air out of the system
That was why I asked about the drive gears. Did you by chance loose the slotted piece the pump locked into ? If those pieces come loose and or fall out you would have the pump spinning only when a piece of the drive system came around and struck the pump drive.
Considering both of these pumps are acting the same way then something ahead of the system is causing the problem. Like the pump drive system.
You have made absolutely sure the fuel system is clear of obstructions and free flowing right ?
You did check out all the injection lines too ? All free and open ? You can remove them and just blow through them to be sure. I would use a air compressor and air nozzle to be totally sure myself.
If after all that everything still checks out, then it has to be the drive system.

rustystud

It would, but like any engine it would not be firing correctly on all cylinders.
Rusty,

If he installed the pump 180 degree's out of time do you think it would start? Not sure what else could have gone wrong here.

Eddie
Since the original pump was acting the same way the new pump is, I'm pretty sure timing has nothing to do with it. Unless of course the original pump had been removed and replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks