• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New-ish Guy from Oklahoma

MajesticSyntax

Man that truck looks good. Any more pics of the bed or during construction of the bed?
I have a couple, but I have not painted the bed yet, so I will shoot a couple pics of the welds so you can get an idea of what I did. It wasn't all that hard really. I used a Sawzall to cut it up. It left a real nice, straight, clean cut.

I'll try to get pictures up for you in the next couple of days.

MajesticSyntax

I snapped a few photos.

When I was cutting down the bed I looked for a way to do it that would be easiest for me with the tools that I had. If you look at the construction of the bed there are sections where the only thing holding the bed together are the main frame that rests on the truck and the actual skin that makes up the bed floor. I simply found two sections of the bed like this that were 36" apart, and that is where I made my cuts. 6 cuts total. Then I just removed the middle 3 foot section. I then mounted the front section of the bed back on the truck followed by the rear section. I squared them up and got to welding. You'll notice I had to fab up the last rear bed mounts. They are just 3/8 steel bent and welded on. It may not be beautiful, but it gets the job done. Theoretically the bed sides should fit right in once I cut the sections out of them. I hope this help.

Attachments

Cameron, Very nice truck.
I'd like to see better pictures of the sides of the bed. Is that the original bed and you cut the sides off? Did you reinforce the edges at all? That's what I was hoping to do with mine. I'm running a 105 bed in the mean time. The track bar is a great idea too. I think I'm going to put my track bar towards the front if I can, I hope to install the winch in the back where your track bar is. Maybe even a 5 ton winch since the drive would be on the correct side. These things are so front heavy.

Very nice job.

MajesticSyntax

Cameron, Very nice truck.
I'd like to see better pictures of the sides of the bed. Is that the original bed and you cut the sides off? Did you reinforce the edges at all? That's what I was hoping to do with mine. I'm running a 105 bed in the mean time. The track bar is a great idea too. I think I'm going to put my track bar towards the front if I can, I hope to install the winch in the back where your track bar is. Maybe even a 5 ton winch since the drive would be on the correct side. These things are so front heavy.

Very nice job.
On the bed, it was a dropside. All I did was pop out the pins that held on the sides and removed them and then cut down the flat part of the bed. Eventually I will get around to cutting down the actual bed sides and get them mounted, but only when it warms up a little. Hope that kind of clears it up a little. And thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks