• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New jacket for the Ole M37

amanco

I got my new SEABEE decals in from Dave Schwarz at http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/ They turned out great. Well making this M37 a Navy truck means the Army stars have to go. I bought 2 gallons of 24087 from Rapco and I have decided that this stuff dries way too fast for hand brushing, no time to smooth out. So I am going to try my hand at a HVLP gun to paint with. FYI an HVLP paint gun system is the only perscribed method of painting a Navy truck per the NAVFAC P300. So what the heck, if it is good enough for the Navy it should be good enough for me. I will post a couple of pics and let you all know how it is all progressing. The truck currently has any where from 1 to 7 coats of paint on it already, probably why it is in great shape being 54 years old. It was taken care of.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: New jacket fo rthe Ole M37

amanco said:
So what the heck, if it is good enough for the Navy it should be good enough for me.
You must have some low standards.

Just kidding, I think a seabee M37 would be cool. Can't wait to see photos of your progress!

amanco

RE: Re: New jacket fo rthe Ole M37

Well, I know they had them. Here is a photo from 1968 of a Seabee project under construction in Quang Tri City in Viet Nam Notice the M37B1 in the background.
The really cool thing is the decals Dave made for me. They are top notch.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The truck certainly won't be gray. 24087 is what Kevin said. My wrecker is headed the Seabee route and will be 34052. Not completly right but nothing here gets painted anything but flat colors.

citizensoldier

That old truck never had it so good. No more heavy plow holding her down and a good dose of fresh air daily.. :grd: Should look awsome painted 24087 with Seabee markings.. Cant wait to see it. How about a nice M101A1 to paint at the same time? Still have one here I would sell.
Post pictures when your done.

67Beast

Great, I've been waiting to see you truck done up with the seabee markings I did for you. It should turn out great and really stand out as you just don't see too many Navy marked vehicles.

As for the seabee logos, they are excact replicas of the image that Kevin posted in the seabee thread. He was kind enough to send me a high res copy of it so that I could scan it into the decal cutting software. I have them available if anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM about them.

amanco

No haze grey here. It is so funny, every time I tell some one I was in the Navy the first natural question is "What ship were you on?" The answer is always, " Never stepped foot on a ship, every where we went we went by air plane". I spent many a 12 hour shift weighing equipment and conex boxes in preperation for shipment via C130 & C5.
Brian, got all of the hood numbers etc.. and entered them into the G741.org registry for posterity. The one thing I am going to try to get good documentation of is the fuel "don't overfill" markings. They are a bit different than I have seen before.

amanco

Found some interesting markings. "HOPALONG" on the pass side door.Hard to tell if this is pre or post military. I would say it is original because all of the other original Army markings are just painted over as well.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Lookin' good Amanco :beer:

amanco

Ok here are the finished photos. I have installed the Seabee decals I got form Dave Schwarz at http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/ I will be sending Dave some photos so he can post them on his web page. I am driving in a local 4th of July parade today. It is going to be great!

See BigBee, It didn't turn out all that bad :wink:

Attachments

nice job!!!!!!

Keith---

FANTASTIC!!!!

Okay, can I have my truck back now? :mrgreen:

Thank you for bringing that truck up to this standard. You've done a beautiful job, and the seabee decals aren't THAT bad. :lol:
Now I've got to print out these pics so I'll be able to recognize it when I see it again.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: nice job!!!!!!

Wow, that looks great!! Outstanding!

CGarbee

RE: taillights?

Ahh....
Looks good. The mud flaps help me visualize what my XM708 will look like since the little dump is supposed to have them and mine are missing...

I like seeing a truck that isn't just another USArmy rig... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks