• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Jeep in the MadDawg stable!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, not new, but it got delivered today. Not sure what name to give it (might have to wait until after I paint it) but for now, Gumby Jr. will do!

She is a 1950 Willys CJ3A. Needs a complete makeover, but I got her running this morning and driving around my neighborhood. Can you say "smile from ear to ear"? These things are FUN! I passed a couple young kids in the development, and they were like "WOW! An old Jeep!"

The engine smokes a little, but seems to stop after getting warmed up. Tranny is good, steering is nice and tight, mechanically she works just about 100%. The tires are old and dryrotted and will need replacement, and the body has some cancer, but nothing that time and a MIG welder can't fix.

A couple pics:

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike are you breeding Jeeps I see another flat fender in that last picture that looks like a brother to yours. When I get home I have a 194? CJ that is going together and I will be dragging behind the deuce to any rally in the future. Lookin good and don't you love how it will go about anywhere?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I forgot to add take her out on the highway and see if she gets the death wobble I have had that on lots of tight steering jeeps over the years, the early linkage is pretty stange and that can happen to one the drives normal around the woods

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice. :beer:

I didn't realize that civvy Jeeps has air powered wipers......I thought only the Mil Jeeps did.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
clint, not air powered , vacuum, your to young to know about vacuum powered wipers, the early mil. jeeps were vacuum also

No.2Diesel

That jeep's attendence is mandatory at this years Rausch Creek Rally :eek: . Put it in one of your Deuces and we'll pluck it out with the 819. Put some lift points for it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She has some body cancer which the pics don't show, but I took her out on the road for a short drive (tires are not too hot, didn't want to push my luck) and I didn't feel any death wobble up to about 35 mph. Course, I'll probably replace the tie rod ends anyways, they are probably the originals! :) However, I am kinda surprised, the radiator is the original and it doesn't have even a tiny weep in the fins! That's a first...

Yes, David - that is another CJ in that one pic. They came as a set, buy two or buy none. It's a 1948 CJ2A, and it is a parts unit at best. Half the engine parts are gone, radiator missing, windshield shot, etc etc etc. A guy is coming from NC to pick it up for the sheet metal tub, which really isn't that bad for sitting outside for many years.

And yes, I've found that you can indeed breed Jeeps. Take a male and a female, get them both warmed up a little, and then bang them together lightly, and you will have yourself Jeep offspring! Though, the offspring tend to be smaller and more cranky than full-size Jeeps! :)

No.2Diesel - yes, the Jeep will be in attendance. The plan is to work heavily on the -725 and get it painted and done for Aberdeen. After that, will be tearing into the 3A and hopefully will get it done by Haspin in summer. It will be restored as a M-38 clone, since some of the 3A panels are shot, will be replaced with -38 style pioneer tool mounts, gas can rack, etc., and adding some military style features to make it a little more trailworthy. But yes, the idea is to bring to meets in the back end of a deuce, and unload a la Stretch style!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks