• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New keeper of a 69' M35A2

Wikid454

Well I made my 1st Deuce purchase. I plan to resell this one and get one that is in slightly better shape. In the mean time I will be learning everything I can to choose my next Deuce.
It’s a 1969 mulit-fuel winch truck. I picked it up from an individual that has owned it for several years. It already has a Texas Title and Antique Plates. It runs pretty good as I picked it up and drove it 80 miles home to Fort Worth, TX. It has the Air transfer case, soft-top, Chevy front seat (wish I had original but this sure is comfy), and DOT tires.
I was looking for a few opinions and answers to a few questions I have already.
1.****** It’s got an oil leak. (Bad, covered my wife’s car as she followed me home 80 miles)(I believe it’s either the hose that feeds the turbo or the down line out of the valve cover) I’ll post pictures today. If it’s the down line is that suppose to have some sort of filter/cover/something? It was about 1 gallon low after the 80 mile trip.
2.****** I was trying to figure out the lights and accidently left the master switch on all night. When I got up to head to work it was making a loud noise like a city street light was going out. I turned off the master and it quit. Now every time I turn on the master it makes the same noise. It’s under the dash. After I start it I turn off the master for about a minute and the switch it back on. The noise it gone until the next time it starts.
3.****** What are all the different settings on the lights do? I figured out which one turns on the headlights and tail lights but I’d like to know the rest of the settings.
4.****** When the headlights are on the front yellow marker lights aren’t on. When I move the switch to a different setting the headlights go out and side markers stay on. Also when I have the light switched turned all the way to the right (where I have it while headlights/tail lights are on) the side markers work perfect with the blinkers.
5.****** How does the map light work? Does something have to be turned on? Or it might be dead…
6.****** How do the windshield wipers work?
Sorry for so many questions. I’ve done quite a bit of searching on this SS site without being able to get good answers. I was tired of being that Lurker… So here’s my 1st real Deuce post.
I can post pictures of any component if that will help. Here are a few pictures of my Deuce!!!

Made it home!!! I hope it gets along with my jeep that sports a BBC and CUCV axles

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hi NEW PILOT, numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ect. are ALL in the -10, which I would suggest you READ
number 2--NOT a good idea
number 5--MAP LIGHT, may be hard to find as this depends on which MWO was involved.

You can find the TMs here
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
Former Military Vehicle Owners - Index
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

Last edited:

chicklin

FYI, you're going to get skewered about reading the TM's :)

1) Don't know, but if it's leaking that much, it ought to be easy to find
2) That is the low air buzzer. You REALLY need to read up on the brake system and understand why that buzzer is there.
3) In the operator's manual, I believe. The top level controls the headlights/taillights/blackout lights, the bottom left is for the dash lights, the bottom right is the lock to allow you to move the top one to a position to turn on the headlights
4) Working as designed, I believe
5) Didn't know it had a map light, can't help you there
6) Assuming they aren't electric, there is a knob on the dash (usually lower left of the steering column) that controls air flow to the motors

SMOKEWAGON66

lol @ #2 that just tells me that you have never owned or operated a vehicle with an air system....but welcome to the party! Please do read the manuals and learn as much as you can...these trucks are not toys and can do alot of damage is misused or mistreated. That being said..congrats on your deuce-enjoy it!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the world of MV's.

Having said that, park that truck until you know what you are doing before you kill someone. The person you kill may be me, and that would piss off my wife to no end. Seriously, get a manual or download one from JATonka's website. Read it, know it, love it, before you just jump in and go. And make sure you search on this site before you ask a question, it's usually faster getting the answer that way and you don't get beat on by the search police. Deuce's aren't necessarily hard to operate safely, you just need to be aware of what they can and can't do. Have fun with your new toy. (Safely)

Wikid454

looks like I've figured out all my questions so far. Thanks for the TM's location. Just when I thought I'd read most everything I could I'm shown something else.

Thanks.

If anyone is in the Fort Worth area and has a Deuce I would really appreciate if I could take a look at several things to be sure mines is working properly.

Wikid454

Where'd you pick her up from?
A guy in Axle, TX. I told a buddy i was looking for one and he Knew this guy selling his He's taken it to Shilo before. I was inspecting the diff fluid tonight and it's all white. Seems like it was driven harder than he claimed. Guess that's expected since he mentioned Shilo. Fluid change in the near future. Luckily I don't think it's been driven much since then.

I found another troubling sign. On the bottom of the transmission the larger of the two drain plugs is missing. I couldn't find/know where the check plug was in the dark but now I do after reading TM's all night. I'll be looking into this first thing after work. Won't be driving it tomorrow...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the white color is water mixed with the oil, need to flush and new oil, change one or both hub/axle seals

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks