• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New lite switch

bozozimbo

I just scored one of the new electronic lite switches....new in the box.
All it cost me was a pair of 900x20s and a camo soft top.

Now im gonna go install it. Report back in a bit.

bozozimbo

Wow...that was easy. This switch is too cool. I read an earlier thread about how it works and the lites in the switch......no kidding....I cant wait for nitefall, to go play with it.

rdixiemiller

The new switches look neat, but I sure enjoy the simplicity of the 3 lever type. I'm going to round up a couple from the boneyard next time I'm in Albany, then I'll decide which one I like. Looks a little too high tech for a deuce, IMHO

badgmc56

Two 900x20's and a soft top seem a little steep for a light switch. You can buy a brand new three lever for 48.00. I guess every body has different things they like to play with. No offense intended.

emr

Considering the anount of them in use, they are ok for sure...At this local facility one of the biggest if not in the state they are hardly worked on ever...Oh and i have seen them alot for 100 for brand new in the box thats what i sold the ones I had for and used ones for 45 ...just saying, but all is worth what is paid for sure...I trade all kinds of things that i want i will let alot go i do not need...

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the push button in my truck. It came that way from GL. I don't think I'd switch if the truck didn't already have one but it works fine. It takes some getting used to and to learn the sequence to get the functon you want but I like it.

LanceRobson

Absolutely, they will work but you have some that swear by the new switches and some that swear at them.
Since I have never had a truck with one or worked on one that had one of the new switches all my info is second hand.

The drivers and mechanics at he local armory and Support Maintenance shop generally feel that the three lever switch is superior and will use a salvaged three lever before using the newer switch.

The issues seem to revolve around:

The better ergonomics of the three lever switch in terms of positive manipulation without having to look down. It is much more positive when wearing gloves, especially heavy gloves. You can tell with certainty where the levers are going to go if you turn them. The switch pads on the new switch are harder to use with gloves on and tend to require more looking down.

Service life. The three lever switch last years and years and the electronic switch seems to last 2 years or so. Who knows, maybe they don't have self cleaning contacts.

Current draw. Although I've never had a chance (or the inclination) to separate the power wires going to the new switch and put a current clamp around them to verify this, I've had several mechanics tell me that the electronic switch has a small current draw all the time. That may not be an issue for the active duty folks but could be a big issue for reserve component folks and occasional users like us. They seem to think they have more dead battery problems with the new switch.

Lance