• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New LMC Diesel Gauges

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are a lot of threads on gauge conversions. And this is a new product so maybe no one has tried it yet. But LMC now has a gauge cluster for the 6.2 diesel.

Anyone install (or planning on installing) this? Or have thoughts on its compatibility? I know there’s some work needed to get a tach signal and the battery gauge is for a 12V system, but are these clusters as ”plug and play” as it can get? This comes with new sending units for oil pressure and water temp so maybe it is an easy switch from the idiot lights to an actual gauge?

Im not sure if I’ll get this or not yet as I’ve set up aftermarket gauges for everything, but it would be nice to have a cleaner dash without all of the extras. So just figured I’d share and see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know there are a lot of threads on gauge conversions. And this is a new product so maybe no one has tried it yet. But LMC now has a gauge cluster for the 6.2 diesel.

Anyone install (or planning on installing) this? Or have thoughts on its compatibility? I know there’s some work needed to get a tach signal and the battery gauge is for a 12V system, but are these clusters as ”plug and play” as it can get? This comes with new sending units for oil pressure and water temp so maybe it is an easy switch from the idiot lights to an actual gauge?

Im not sure if I’ll get this or not yet as I’ve set up aftermarket gauges for everything, but it would be nice to have a cleaner dash without all of the extras. So just figured I’d share and see what everyone’s thoughts are.
I snagged a screen scrape of the new cluster(s). Yeah, it takes away the factory "look" but wow. If it actually functions it looks pretty awesome. I mean it is almost drool worthy...

1680214776464.png

Then you look a little further down and the price tag makes you take a deep breath. Then again too, if you overheat because your gauges don't function it might not be that much... AND you do get gauges rather than idiot lights.

Buck69

I wonder why they picked such a high range on the speedo? Even the gasser of that vintage only went to 85 mph.
I found a nice clean cluster from a gasser of the same vintage with the smaller gauges instead of idiot lights, just to keep it a bit more authentic. It was from a Canadian built truck. It does go to 140 but reads in kph.
They do look nice though.

87cr250r

100 mph was the standard speedo for trucks before the oil embargo. My 1976 short wide would point that needle nearly straight down. I estimate 130 mph 😈. My sister's 1983 Mustang GT had a 85mph speedo.

My problem on my CUCV is that the bluish plastic part behind the gauges is disintegrating. I have a new gear position indicator but nothing is left to attach it to.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooops. I missed that little KM below the odometer.
Makes a lot more sense.

The vintage diesel clusters that I posted really are MPH though I question the need for a 140 speedo. It was what it had, so I didn't question why.
What do you mean, your cucv doesn’t go 140mph? 😂 It looks like the speedo is the same on the gasser gauge cluster so I’m assuming it’s the same one. I think having a high mph speedo makes people think they have a faster vehicle than it actually is so manufacturers just make them that way for looks. My Cruze speedo also goes to 140 but I know it can’t get anywhere close to that!

Buck69

100 mph was the standard speedo for trucks before the oil embargo. My 1976 short wide would point that needle nearly straight down. I estimate 130 mph 😈. My sister's 1983 Mustang GT had a 85mph speedo.

My problem on my CUCV is that the bluish plastic part behind the gauges is disintegrating. I have a new gear position indicator but nothing is left to attach it to.
I had a '73 gm 3/4t when young and crazy. If memory serves me well, the speedo went to 100 mph. Being in Canada though, it had an additional adapter at the driveline end of the cable which switched it to kph. It was often pinned with a slightly modified 454 under the hood. :p

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also need to convert to 12-volt system or pull out (good luck matching the rest of the dash gauges) the voltmeter if you keep it a 24-volt system.

Buck69

Hey Buck69,

If you plan to use the MPH gauge on your truck, that Km/h gauge may interest me as that is what we use here predominantly...

Cheers,
Jake
I had pulled that out of another truck to use as we are metric in CA as well.
I would like a cluster with the large tach and small fuel gauge though. If I happen to find one of those, will let ya know.
The MPH cluster is the original from the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks