• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new lmtv

Masspilot

Hey there all I am new here just got my first Lmtv I am hoping to take possession of it in a week or so but I am super excited to get started on the build. I am apologizing now ahead of time for all the questions I am going to ask. I had the guy O got it from take off the bed and add a service body to it. The body has a lot of storage and plenty of room in it to still make a camper. Well I will appreciate any words of wisdom. Steve

Attachments

Doug Roberts

welcome ! Nice truck. Yeah it looks like you have tool bins ect , space is always needed and used. Get some gear oil in those front hubs. We have some very engaged members with the LMTV. They round table on here daily. I hjave a M1078 myself , and I am more involved with some real estate that I'm moving, but will dive in deep this summer.

Masspilot

I already purchased a 10k diesel generator to mount up between the cab and service bed. Also bought a 100 gallon external tank to mount there as well with a pump system on it to increase my range to over 1000 miles. I planed on mounting solar panels and a solar generator in one of the compartments to be able to run off that if need be and also charge up the trucks batteries if sitting for a long time. I just today got my new door handles in from a buddy of mine on base. So many things to do I think I might become addicted. I also have an ac unit on its way for the truck.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already purchased a 10k diesel generator to mount up between the cab and service bed. Also bought a 100 gallon external tank to mount there as well with a pump system on it to increase my range to over 1000 miles. I planed on mounting solar panels and a solar generator in one of the compartments to be able to run off that if need be and also charge up the trucks batteries if sitting for a long time. I just today got my new door handles in from a buddy of mine on base. So many things to do I think I might become addicted. I also have an ac unit on its way for the truck.
Wow. I'd like to see more photos of the area between the bed and cab. That service body must be shorter than the standard bed leaving more room in there. Is the generator a military MEP-8xx unit?

Masspilot

Yes it is the airdrop cab it was what i wanted. I have seen these things when I was in the army and like the idea of being able to take the cab off. I am going to have a roll cage built it the cab. I really wanted a camper body on it but the service cab fit the bill for all that I want and there is still room in the cab to build it into a camper. Last night I was talking to another member and he was telling me to make sure I check out the drive train that they are subjected to failure.

Masspilot

thanks I was reading the security post on here and am now trying to figure out a way to help detour theives from stealing my truck seeing how there is no key needed to start the truck there must be some sort of relay or something you can easily do to make the truck non operational. But yet still make it easy for you to get in a start up when time comes to use it.

Last edited:

SignalNco

Hey Steve, welcome to the obsession from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Nice truck. That thing will make one heck of a tactical camper for the family. Please keep us updated!

DanM7890

thanks I was reading the security post on here and am now trying to figure out a way to help detour theives from stealing my truck seeing how there is no key needed to start the truck there must be some sort of relay or something you can easily do to make the truck non operational. But yet still make it easy for you to get in a start up when time comes to use it.
If you haven't already, take out the lock mechanism and take it to a lock smith to make keys. Hopefully both doors are keyed the same. Also I know someone on here has done a power kill switch so the truck will see no power.

Masspilot

i have new door handles with like keys and I was thinking of some sort of electric key pad like that to kill the power. thanks signal I am only just begining on the truck and can see its going to be an obsession. I am trying to locate a really good winch for it I want one to be installed front and rear and some smaller 4000 lbs winches on the sides for pulling in all directions. the ones on the side are mostly going to be for pulling something to the truck.

f8617

...now trying to figure out a way to help detour theives from stealing my truck seeing how there is no key needed to start the truck there must be some sort of relay or something you can easily do to make the truck non operational. But yet still make it easy for you to get in a start up when time comes to use it.

whats wrong with turning the steering wheel hard over and locking a chain to grab rail?

Masspilot

If someone want to the will find a way to drive it away that is an option and I am looking into a key pad code set up also

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks