• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M-1083 owner. So, here we go!!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok fellas, what's the best way to replace this stud??
The end-bell of the Niehoff alternators is potted. You might be able to TIG weld a bolt or a tapered bit of all-thread to it in combination with some clever heat sinking and allowing to cool between short intervals of welding. It's not likely to ever have the strength it should have for this application - I would start looking into a more powerful replacement. Have more than 100A is very useful and I don't think I would put any significant effort into a 100A alternator.

coachgeo

The end-bell of the Niehoff alternators is potted. You might be able to TIG weld a bolt or a tapered bit of all-thread to it in combination with some clever heat sinking and allowing to cool between short intervals of welding. It's not likely to ever have the strength it should have for this application - I would start looking into a more powerful replacement. Have more than 100A is very useful and I don't think I would put any significant effort into a 100A alternator.
All good suggestions. What came to my mind was Brazing might be the key here but ya'll know more than I. This is what hit me:
> put a nut on what is there then tig/braze that in place thru the center.
> grind the top of nut to weld another on top on outside edges.
> then tig/braze a tall nut (coupler/coupling nut) onto this.
> Tada........ then bolt your cable into that.

coachgeo

The "fuse link" at the alternator studs was specified to be removed from the platform over 20 years ago. See page 3 of PS Magazine 569 from April of 2000:

You *did* replace the fuse link with a washer to prevent bottoming out of the threads right?! I fear this is what led to your snapped stud.......
ahhh ok.. yeah I recall that. Thought they were all suppose to have been removed by miliary already... guess not.

RRaulston

RRaulston

All good suggestions. What came to my mind was Brazing might be the key here but ya'll know more than I. This is what hit me:
> put a nut on what is there then tig/braze that in place thru the center.
> grind the top of nut to weld another on top on outside edges.
> then tig/braze a tall nut (coupler/coupling nut) onto this.
> Tada........ then bolt your cable into that.
I read this like 10 times. I think you are on to something. The remaining post is halfway through the nut. I think you could tig the center of the hole/stud then tig another nut on that nut the thread in a new post. I know a guy.....🤞

coachgeo

I read this like 10 times. I think you are on to something. The remaining post is halfway through the nut. I think you could tig the center of the hole/stud then tig another nut on that nut the thread in a new post. I know a guy.....🤞
with a threaded coupler you would not need a post... you would bolt into the coupler to hold your cable.

RRaulston

Yea, if I read that date code correctly, they were a year old in 2010… They are also AGM’s AGM batteries want 45% of the battery AH rating in amps from the alternator during the major portion of the charge cycle. Plain lead acids want only 25%. So with the 4 battery 240AH AGM bank that was 108A just for the batteries… 2 batteries at 120AH is a much more manageable, but still pretty high 54A out of the alternator. The issue really is the 12v lighting loads. It is around 26A with all the lights on, so if you let the batteries get behind, dont run the lights till they are topped off:)

and when these fail put in a pair of group 31s. 100AH plain lead acid, commonly available/less expensive, and will only want 25A out of the alt. They will charge much faster if discharged and put way less stress on the alt…
I'm not sure what the better battery brands are but these are in stock and nearby. They say "wet" so i'm assuming lead acid!? thoughts??

NAPA Commercial Battery 18 Months Free Replacement BCI No. 31 1000 A BAT 7234 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

Ronmar

I'm not sure what the better battery brands are but these are in stock and nearby. They say "wet" so i'm assuming lead acid!? thoughts??

NAPA Commercial Battery 18 Months Free Replacement BCI No. 31 1000 A BAT 7234 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)
I like Deccas and interstates. The Hawkers are good batteries. If yours loadtest ok I would stick with the best pair of them untill they drop.

I should add that the group 31s are not simply plug and play. They are taller and don’t fit as well under the lid with the recesses. Group 27’s will fit in the existing battery pockets

RRaulston

Based on my research, I am in the beginning planning stages to address driveline concerns. Do the MTV 6x6s have the same frequency of driveline concerns/issues as the LMTV 4x4s? Im wondering if I should move them up the list or keep them mid list. What I need to do is a 10-mile run to warm up the diff oil for an oil change...

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on my research, I am in the beginning planning stages to address driveline concerns. Do the MTV 6x6s have the same frequency of driveline concerns/issues as the LMTV 4x4s? Im wondering if I should move them up the list or keep them mid list. What I need to do is a 10-mile run to warm up the diff oil for an oil change...
From everything I've read on SS about vibration issues on these trucks, I would not take a chance on driving it with out having them checked and balance. You could drive the truck hundreds or thousands of mile and be okay or you could drive 10 miles down the road and something breaks. It's a tossup.

When I got my M1083A1 (Myrtle) one of the first things I did was remove all three drive shafts and had them checked and balanced. Of course mine had visual damage to 2 of the 3 shafts which appeared to be from a forklift. I would have pulled them even if they didn't show damage. After reading the problems that many SS members have reported with drive train vibration and damage that occurred from that, it was a no brainer for me. Why take the chance when your going to have to do them sooner or later...better, sooner

The two damaged shafts needed rebuilt, all needed new universal joints, and all three differently needed balancing. The guy who did them said that they were never balanced, ever. Oh yeah, get new universal joints and take them with you when you take the shafts to get balanced. They balance the shafts with the joints on the shafts.

Also, in line with the vibration issues, balance your wheel/tires. My tires were shot/junk. I replaced the tires, which wasn't that bad for me, just time consuming and heavy! I made sure that the hardware on the bead locks were 180 degrees out from the CTIS wheel valve and I use ceramic tire/wheel balancing beads inside the tires. They work great...at least in my opinion.

After getting the drive shafts put back on along with the wheels/tires I took Myrtle for a drive. Got it to 56 mph and I was extremely happy with the results. I could not feel any vibration at all (I probably shot myself in the foot for saying that) at least I couldn't from my fat a--. The only thing I found that the trans was shifting a little hard from 3rd to 4th, but that's another story.

Nice truck and good luck.

Tom.

Third From Texas

Short answer: no

The "driveline" issues that the 4x4 A0 trucks experience is mostly due to the steep downward angle of the rear driveshaft. The 6x6 trucks do not suffer from this design flaw as they kept the driveshafts straight (via an offset for the input at the pumpkin). Later A1R trucks use this same offset rear end type to keep the shaft straight.

Now the parts on the truck that fail due to the vibrations are the same and should be checked. Compressor mounts, nuts, bolts, oil line of death, flywheel bolts, etc all should be inspected as if they might be affected.

RRaulston

Good day today. Picked up my auction tire assembly. Gov Planet is 40 miles away and they have some future stuff piled up! Changed the front hub oil. One was 9 Fluid OZ and the other had 16 Fluid OZ in it. the 10 oz was dirty and the 16 was new with new silicone on the cover plate. Both magnets were clean. Interesting. Doing the diffs this weekend. Note: all shippers are having issues. One of my parts packages ended up in Idaho (USPS). Then UPS shows up and he can't find the order on his truck. It was scanned as arrived and out for delivery and he don't have it. Thank God I only have 63 other projects to do on the truck and I can stay busy without those parts!! ugh...

20221118_102756.jpg20221118_122232.jpg20221118_130059.jpg

RRaulston

So in prepping the truck for fan and water pump belts, I felt the front of the fan hub and I have regular bolts. Not hex bolts. I think thats a good thing.....Right?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks