• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008 - Indiana

Sailor77

Good Day- I would first like to say thank you to all those gone before me, I have learned an enormous payload about my truck here. I brought *no name yet* home a few months ago, but am finally getting some time to work on it. It is an 1986 M1008. Has 6" lift, 38.5 tires on Hummer 12bolts rims, rear disk brake conversion, cross over steering, oh and a Banks Sidewinder turbo. I am ordering patch panels to fix the rust, and will be bringing it down to a usable level. Plan is to remove, bed, cab and dog house; media blast and paint the frame; Reassemble and paint Dessert Tan. I am still debating on rims and tires, and that will determine lift height.
86 M1008.jpg
Gladly accepting suggestions on tires and lift.

Sailor77

It is unusable to me at this height, so all lift parts are available. I do need some stock front springs. Mine has new lift springs in front, and 6" blocks in the back, but it also came with new ORD spring drops for the rear.

Westech

CPL
I would like to buy the cross over steeering or trade for it. if you take the lift off you will need stock stuff to put back on.
if you want to do some trading let me know I have all the stock stuff you will need/want.

or we can swap trucks :)

Richard

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good eye. That's it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the look of the lift and tires. Too bad you don't want to keep it that way.

Sailor77

Sounds like we have our own History Detectives here!!! Looks like I have a little research to do as well. Chris said it was a 6.2 Banks system and that it still needed the fuel turned up. I need to pull the turbo to change the mechanical fuel pump, so I will scope it out then. I ordered a few exhaust pipes from OCDiesel for the Banks kit, hope they are right now. Is there anyway to tell if the pump has been turned up already?

I do like the look of the truck, but it is a little hard to load that high. If I could have found a stock height one for with the turbo and rear disc conversion for the price I paid, I would have. But no worries, looks like I am getting some 37 MT/R's, so it won't be completely stock. Im thinking 3" lift and some fender triming. At least that will keep my RPM's lower until I can get a 700R4. Chris gave me a 205 transfer case that I need to see if it will bolt up to the TH400.

Anyone ever do a de-build threat :cookoo:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a post back to 2007 with a pic of the DIY4X shackle flip kit he bought. His last time signing in was Nov 2012 but he hasn't posted since 11/26/2008.

jw4x4

Check the fuel tanks for leaks. Last time I saw it, it was deep in the woods and leaking fuel. We plugged a hole with a cutting from a sapling. Vehicle was driven from Georgia back to Michigan with the temp fix.

Sailor77

No fuel leaks, just a clogged gas tank. I am stripping the truck down. Thinking about going with 2.5 ORD and zero rates with 37 MT/R's. I haven't found a set of 35's for what we can get the Hummer take off tires for. Almost have the dog house off, should have it completely stipped this week (fingers crossed).

Barrman

Your correct about that truck being kind of high. I think we loaded or unloaded about 500 NDT's out of it one night at the Rally in 2007.

Unless you just have to have tan paint. I would advise against it. I painted a truck that color a few years ago and it drove me nuts. You can't see where you painted just a second ago unless you have some kind of light putting a glare on it. Very, very easy to make runs with the tan paint. Do as you wish though.

Where abouts in Ft. Wayne are you? I went to high school in Kendallville.