• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008/M1028 frankentruck!

pevrs114

Got my truck!

Won an auction on Ebay and picked up a 1986 M1008 with 36K miles (the more I think about it, the more I wonder if this is one of the converted M1008/M1028 trucks). It's had some modifications, and I don't plan on a military restoration so this truck was perfect for me.

6.2L diesel with Banks sidewinder turbo
TH400
NP208
14 bolt w/ Detroit, 4.56:1
D60 w/ limited slip, 4.56:1
Autometer gauges installed in place of dummy lights (Oil temp, Oil pres, H20 temp, boost)
Shelter tie-downs in the bed
Custom electrical upgrades - 12V conversion, dual batteries moved to under bed on the frame, blockheater, battery charger, etc
Air conditioning, dash from suburban swapped in
4" lift with custom lift block/anti-wrap bars in the rear
33x12.5x16.5 BFG Mud Terrain (D load range)

Looks like we're gonna swap a cab in from another truck, maybe a C20 diesel that's nearby. Cab has some rust in some bad spots, and a crack in the roof. Passenger front inner fender is trash, needs replacing. It appears to have a set of helper springs in the rear pack. I have an SM465 and NP205 in the shed that I'll probably swap in it. Maybe a 12V cummins one day. Swamper 38x12.5x16.5's all the way around. I am planning on building a flatbed. XD9000i winch to go in the front, hopefully a 12K industrial Warn winch mounted inside the flatbed/subframe facing rear. Toolboxes, fuel transfer tank, onboard air, recovery equipment.

This truck will be used as a tow vehicle for my CJ-7, and an off-road recovery support vehicle for our four wheeling trips, as well as going to the dump, Lowe's, etc.

Anyway, I'm really excited, been lurking on this site for years planning this purchase. Due to y'alls posts, I had no problem with the title, explaining what the truck is to the DMV, making sure the insurance didn't have any problem with the 'D' in the VIN (all quirks that popped up that I was prepared for!). Today, I'll try to get it to pass VA inspection.

Pics in a bit!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry about the joke but welcome anyway we like to have fun around here. That will be a great truck the turbo should really pep it up. I know the turbo on my 6.5 makes a big difference You will find joining us will really be a plus in owning this truck

pevrs114

They're coming, they're coming, I'm at work!

Took it to the shop today and it failed inspection, but all for little things! Horn relay, needs rear view mirror installed, needs groundwire fixed on driver's brakelight, and needs brake trouble / parking brake indicator light installed. Previous owner replaced all 4 dummy lights (including brake light) with slick auto meter gauges, but now I need to correct that! I was relieved, nothing major needed to get my fresh sticker.

Pics soon!

pevrs114

Here's the pics from the original Ebay ad. I'll take some more as I start to get familiar with this truck, and make some repairs and upgrades.

Front views -

The camera angles don't do a good job of showing exactly how tall this truck sits off the ground.

This may be some surface rust, but it doesn't seem to go very deep at all.

This rust, however, is much deeper. Gonna be breaking out the LMC catalog for some sheet metal, I think.

Dash/ducting/AC head unit from a suburban, AC condenser on firewall, compressor and lines laying in floorboard. AC shouldn't be too far away. Newer model steering wheel, blue vinyl bench seat (buckets most likely planned). Rifle racks and ammo can holders are behind the seat. Sliding rear window. Tape deck with two small speakers behind the seat. Got something to fix that, as well.

Oil pressure (not working... sending unit? not hooked up?), Oil temp, Water temp, EGT. 3 Auto meter, 1 Banks. Set nicely in dash replacing the dummy lights. However, the missing BRAKE dummy light is one reason it's failed inspection, so I'll have to rig something up. Do these dashboards have the factory BRAKE light also under the speedo or fuel gauge, like some other models of this era do? If the light is already in place, maybe I can just hook up the wiring and bingo.

6.2L detroit with Banks Sidewinder turbo. 36K miles.

Fuel filter, water separator, battery charger (spliced in line with the block heater, when you plug it in, the batteries stay charged and the oil stays warm). 12V system. Batteries are moved to underneath the bed, with some nice, clean distribution blocks and clean wiring. I'd like to add a jump start port (similar connector to the Warn quick connect winches) and put it in place of the original slave recepticle.

Also has a slick rear lift block with a built in anti-wrap bar, 3/4" flipped u-bolts, 2" receiver AND the original pintle maintained, took the blackout drive light and installed it sideways on the rear bumper to make a license plate light.

All in all, some clean mods, most of which I wanted to do anyway. $1500 turbo kit, $200 gauges, $600 tires, 4" lift, 12 volt conversion, etc etc all started to add up and make this a good selection for my needs.

Whoever had this truck took some time and did some nice work. Hopefully I'll be able to carry on that tradition.

What do you think?

(eta - my pics aren't showing up. I suppose I have to reach a certain number of posts before I get pic posting priveleges? Can somebody click-free them for me?)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks