• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008. Many different issues.

Jack Lope

New M1008. :) It started earlier no problem. Now, I turn the key, don't see the glow plug lights come on, only the water in fuel light. Turn the key and just CLUNK. Nothing.

I should not have parked the truck in the drive way. My car is blocked in the garage. :p

Quick suggestions would be helpful.

Each battery tested 12+ Volts with the multimeter.

[edit] No longer stranded, but can't edit the title it seems.

[edit edit] Added a video in post 29.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your should let us know what type of vehicle. Reading in your other post that you just bought a M1008. Is this the truck you are having issues with?

Sounds like dirty connections. I would recommend cleaning all the grounds, battery terminals and the 12v and 24v Positive terminal blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clunk from where?

If it's coming from your wife hitting your head with a bat, duck.

If it's coming from your starter, remove it and test it.

If it's coming from under the dash, test with a meter for power at the starter.

Jack Lope

Feeling like a big fat idiot right about now. Was running great and even drove it around a bit. I expected the occasional issue, but not the first day.
Anyone wanna buy a M1008? j/k

Last edited:

Jack Lope

I love your optimism! If I can sell it today, I will... for the right price. ;)

I did manage to get the car out of the garage, so not stuck now.

Last edited:

goldneagle

First thing to try is cleaning the battery terminals and clamps. Is the truck still using 24 volts for the glow plugs or is the resistor block bypassed?

Jack Lope

When I turn the key one click, the glow plugs light is not coming on like I would expect. After waiting until the water in fuel light goes off, then waiting just tad more until the clicking in the dash stops, I turn the key and then just CLUNK. It sounds like the starter trying to engage, but no hint of anything turning over.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I was closer, I would swing by and buy it from you, fix it and drive home. Start at the starter, load test the batteries,
check all connections. It's an old Chevrolet. You'll get fixed.
JC

Jack Lope

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

This my first diesel, but I thought there should be the Glow Plug wait light come on when turning the key one click. After some clicking in the dash, the clicks stop, turn the key and there is a dying buzzer sound that starts then fades away and the starter just goes CLUNK. I've had dead batteries produce these symptoms on other vehicles before, so maybe the amps are bad? We'll see after a good charging.

I'm also going through the fuses. I'm sure it'll be an easy fix........ after I find what it is. The thing was running pretty good with the exception of a fuel leak that seems to have fixed itself.

I was pretty sure I was buying a running truck. I'm still trying getting over that surprise.

Last edited:

cpf240

Voltage is only one measurement, and only tells part of the story of the batteries condition. The best test is done with a load tester. If you can take them to a local auto parts place, they may be able to load test them for you, often for free. As a simple test you can do at home if you don't have a load tester, put the voltmeter on the battery, and see what it reads with the key off, and with the key in the crank position. If the volts drop off quite a bit under load, then the battery is bad.

Jack Lope

Batteries have been charged and all fuses by the left driver foot have been replaced.

I'm being held captive by a huge green monster in my driveway! haha

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks