• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m1008 owner w/ out a clue!

T1F7P8A7T

Hey all!
I am the proud new owner of an '84 m1008 CUCV, totally stock. I have never owned a truck before and know almost nothing about how to repair or modify vehicles. This is going to be my daily driver/work truck. As is the thing only goes 55mph max. (DUH!) and I need to fix that.

The internet, and this site especially, has helped alot in learning general information and options for mods, but leaves me with no understanding about how to actually go about installing anything.

My list of mods for this truck are as follows:
1) minimum 4" lift w/ 37" HMMWV wheels
2) Banks sidewinder turbo
3) replacing TH400 with a NV4500 manual tranny

I would prefer to do all of this work myself, as it would be much cheaper, but I havn't a clue about mechanics and the like..
Now for the stupid questions.
Where can I learn to work on trucks? or, more specifically, these trucks? Alot of mechanics in my area aren't savvy with diesels, especially these diesels. What tools would I need?
Honestly, I don't know where to begin.. aua Please help!

You need to start with the Technical Manuals. There is a section on here with all the different manuals. They will help you out greatly and become your new best friend. Also when you do have questions use the advanced search on here. Welcome to SS!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=77609

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. The learning curve is in direct correlation to the depth of your wallet. They are older trucks and most behave as such. The willingness too learn and listen are without equal! There are MANY WISE members here.( me excluded!) As suggested, read TM's. Basic "mechanic" tools, MIG welder, and air compressor are nice. Dry and clean place to work, also nice. Another vehicle to drive while working on truck? PRICELESS! Above all, welcome aboard! GREAT SITE! EVEN BETTER PEOPLE! ENJOY your truck!2cents
God bless,
Tony:D

mudman

Seriously!!! how many dudes, get a CUCV "first time owners", and plan on making it their daily drivers? GEEEZ, they really don't know what they are in for...Yet.!!
Just say'n..Good luck to ya..You will be a "Mechanic" very soon!

Whitfield

Seriously!!! how many dudes, get a CUCV "first time owners", and plan on making it their daily drivers?
Sound off :

ONe ~ (raising hand / first cucv / first diesel)
Day 3 .... Very SLOW but So far, so good!

TO the OP: Make it dependable first. Then make mods as you see fit once you have the bugs worked out.

Also ~ best to tackle the truck working individual systems at a time. (Fuel System / Cooling System / drive line / ect) Look for what is right (Test it / Verify it / then fix what is not).

Last edited:

stranger75

Welcome aboard! This website and its members are invaluable resources for the information you need to get and keep your truck running correctly.

As previously noted, download the Technical Manuals. They contain an overwhelming amount of information about everything in your truck and the procedures for maintaining and fixing them.

Research and perform the Doghead starter relay mod/ upgrade before continuing with any other modification. This will eliminate (or at least drastically reduce) the possibility of your truck ruining its starter and burning up your wiring.

Become familiar with and use the search function on this website. Many if not all of the questions you have have been asked and answered multiple times. You can find detailed accounts of common issues and fixes.

There are many first time mechanics here. There are also many life-long gear heads with experience and wisdom. Good luck with your truck, and post some pics of it!!!

alburms311

Welcome to the site. I’m new myself, but can tell you that the TMs will become your best friend, and they make for great bathroom reading material:-DAlso, learn to use the Search function, most likely any issue you find has already been covered. From what I have learned, you want to make your vehicle as reliable as possible before doing any unnecessary mods to it. Do the Doghead relay first as others have suggested, (not difficult or expensive)work out any electrical gremlins you may have, then fix everything else you haven’t found out is wrong with it yet. Have fun with it, I’m no master mechanic myself, but part of the fun of owning one of these vehicles is learning to work on it yourself, or at least it has been for me.

T1F7P8A7T

Thanks for all the advice and the encouragement, gentlemen!
Criticisms are dully noted.
I am in the process of printing and binding all of the TMs.

I brought it home today, finally!
It was a great drive from Road Island, down 95, to New York. At an even 50... the perfect speed....
It drives well, although it kicks when shifting gears, which I assume is natural? I popped a half quart of ATF the previous owner had left behind the seat in the "gas" tank, I think it ran a little better after that.
It is really funny how puny ever other car now is and how people are so easily pissed off by this thing. All you have to do is drive be someone to offend them!

What a great day!
I am even happier than a commie on welfare!!