• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 - good but...

GoldComet6

I got the M1009 today, thanks to ferro and bigugh20. They picked it up at Ft Gordon and delivered it to my house. Adam and Craig were very nice and helpful. Ferro is very reasonable on recovery costs too! Thanks again guys!

Thanks also goes out to all of the members who offered suggestions/advice related to the recovery and answered my general CUCV questions. Thanks.

Overall it looks pretty good: Starts with a jump and idles fine, body seems straight and I don't see much rust. The dash pad and seats don't really match, but are in pretty good shape. It has the usual issues like the rear window handle needs fixing - it does kinda work. The tires look good, and it appears to have gotten service and a few new parts before being surplused. It has a spare, emergency triangle kit, and what seems to be used practice ammo cases in the back? Overall it looks like a solid surplus M1009.

Of course there is a bad issue too - now I know why the rear driveshaft was in the back. It looks like the problem is the shaft coming out of the transfer case. Part of it appears to have been sheared off at the end? Am I missing something here?

Anybody ever seen this before?

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

Looks like a solid truck! Hopefully that was a joint failure and not a fork lift crush. They tend to break transfer cases and the adapters between the transmission and transfer case with forklift abuse. The tube does not look kinked, so lets hope for a yoke or two and a replacement shaft to fix you up. Glen

tjmilitary

:jumpin::jumpin:Truck looks good. If you have a drive shaft shop nearby let them replace the yoke and u-joints. They can also check the shaft to make sure it isn't bent of out of balance. If no shop nearby, the yoke is a common GM product or aftermarcket. And the joints are available at any parts store. Good Luck and enjoy! we have had a 1009 for about 3 years now and waiting to pick another up soom. Where did yours come from. Tom

GoldComet6

tjmilitary & 91w350: Thanks! It came from Ft Gordon, GA.

Yeah, I'll check around and talk to a few places. One shop I have used before, can fix it for sure. They do most all kinds of mechanical work. If my memory serves me right the yoke is just pulled out of the t-case. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cant find a decent take-out DS, try FleetPride.

nk14zp

tjmilitary & 91w350: Thanks! It came from Ft Gordon, GA.

Yeah, I'll check around and talk to a few places. One shop I have used before, can fix it for sure. They do most all kinds of mechanical work. If my memory serves me right the yoke is just pulled out of the t-case. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
It should slide right out.When it does some fluid will drain out also.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Shattered yoke-Doraville Driveline (google them) can replace it and check your driveshaft, reassemble and balance. They can also build you a new driveshaft although it would probably be cheaper to get a takeout replacement.

Looks good.

I can help you with the rear window.

91W350

Yes, you will want your replacement to be ready when you remove that yoke at the T-case. I agree, it looks like they were horribly dry, but I have broken many U-joints over the years and without huge power, the yokes never snapped. Its a different story when you dump 800 foot pounds on a set of drag slicks, the small weak areas become huge ugly messes. Same thing with big power and big tires in the rocks. Look really close around that transfer case and adapter for any leaks or cracks. The tube did not have the tell tale forklift kink. Hopefully a new yoke and some shaft repair will get you rolling in tall cotton. No matter what you do, you have to fix that rear shaft. Wish it was mine, or I was closer.... I kind of enjoy working on those parts. Glen

GoldComet6

Shattered yoke-Doraville Driveline (google them) can replace it and check your driveshaft, reassemble and balance. They can also build you a new driveshaft although it would probably be cheaper to get a takeout replacement.

Looks good.

I can help you with the rear window.
Okay - thanks once again clinto! I'm sure I'll need some help with that!

Yes, you will want your replacement to be ready when you remove that yoke at the T-case. I agree, it looks like they were horribly dry, but I have broken many U-joints over the years and without huge power, the yokes never snapped. Its a different story when you dump 800 foot pounds on a set of drag slicks, the small weak areas become huge ugly messes. Same thing with big power and big tires in the rocks. Look really close around that transfer case and adapter for any leaks or cracks. The tube did not have the tell tale forklift kink. Hopefully a new yoke and some shaft repair will get you rolling in tall cotton. No matter what you do, you have to fix that rear shaft. Wish it was mine, or I was closer.... I kind of enjoy working on those parts. Glen
Good tip Glen! I wondered how it happened too... Sounds like you need to plan a CUCV road trip to GA!!!

Have one in Gainesville Ga. if your interested or Rons driveline here is a fine place to fix yours.
I'll ask around here first, but will keep those in mind. Thanks!

Here is another view.....

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

That view looks more like a U-joint broke and the yoke was not up to the next strike. Depending upon on the speed that they fail at, they can have tremendous energy.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang Doug! I didn't take that good a look underneath! I just thought the U joing had failed and that was that, didn't see the yoke damage.

At least it isn't too serious, and like others have said, any driveshaft company worth their salt can repair it. And civi parts will match as well.

It is a good truck and I think you got a good deal. Glad we were able to help you out! I know I talked Craig's ear off though. (other that know me know I never shutup. LOL) Can't believe he would have willingly ridden 8hours with me in the truck if I had warned him beforehand.

Capt.Marion

I've used Doraville Driveline before, too, and highly recommend them. They did some work on a PTO driveshaft for one of the tractors. They know their stuff.

GoldComet6

I've used Doraville Driveline before, too, and highly recommend them. They did some work on a PTO driveshaft for one of the tractors. They know their stuff.
I'll call them tomorrow, meant to do it today but stayed too busy at work. Need to check out battery chargers too.

Not being able to drive it around is already bugging me. :(

GoldComet6

Took the damaged yoke out, since the driveshaft shop said I should bring it in too. I barely put it back in the t-case for now. Hopefully next week I can get the driveshaft fixed and reinstalled.

Tried to lower the back seat, but it wouldn't fold forward. After many attempts I finally figured out what the problem was. The drivers side latch had five practice rd cases stuck in the hole in the floor and the passenger side had two! Once I got them out, I was able to raise the back seat. It's actually pretty roomy back there.....:jumpin:

Attachments

GoldComet6

Got the repaired driveshaft installed tonight - glad it's done! The driveshaft shop thought, as some here mentioned, that it was run dry and the u-joint failed. Anyway...if you need driveshaft work in the Atlanta area, I'd recommend Doraville Driveline & Springs. Thanks to those that suggested them!

Looks like next up is buying a new battery. The charger has one in the "charged & maintain mode", but the other one it cannot charge. After three attempts, it keeps indicating that it doesn't pass the initial tests. It always gives me a red light after it tries to charge it.

I hope to finally be able to test drive it in the neighborhood on Saturday. The snow we had recently delayed me, since I couldn't drop off the driveshaft!

Attachments

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Got it running today and drove it around in the neighborhood...I really like it! Wish it was tagged so I could go for a longer drive!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tiql_tBBXs[/media]

Looks like it's dripping trans fluid from the rear seal on the t-case. That will have to be fixed next. Glen when is your next road trip to GA???rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks