• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 in SoCal

cpf240

My Father and I drove out to Nellis this past Thursday and picked up my '84 M1009. The listing said "runs", and she sure does! We went out there with a trunk full of parts, fluids and tools, and didn't need 99.9% of them.

While we were there, there was another Father and Son team picking up the M1009 parked next to mine. They were more of what I think of as a Father and Son team, as the Son was in his teens, while I'll just say I'm North of 40...

They planned on trailering theirs home while I hoped to drive mine out of there. Chris left us to our work, and we never felt under any pressure to get gone.

After changing a flat tire with the spare that came with the truck, we found out that the air tank we brought had a bad nozzle. I had to fill the tire with the green slime to get enough pressure in it to make it to a gas station with an air compressor. We meant to bring one, but it got left behind.

Turning the key and seeing all the lights come on like they are supposed to was a great feeling. What was better was when she fired up as soon as I cranked it when the wait light went out. The guys next to us were amazed. They had been trying to jump start theirs while we were doing the tire.

We helped them load their truck onto the trailer, pledged mutual support should we see one or another on the side of the road. Then loaded up, signed off with Chris, and headed out the gates. After a quick stop at the gas station for 24 gallons of diesel, washed windows, air for the tires and a potty stop, we were off.

The drive home was long, going only about 60 instead of the 70 to 75 on the way up. Thankfully it was an uneventful trip. I didn't try to calculate mpg, but she only used about an 1/8th of a tank from Nellis to Barstow where we stopped to top off the tank and our tummys. Gotta love In-N-Out!

From Barstow to home was easy, though it was getting dark, and the headlights were still in their patrol position. Still need to adjust them.

So far I've only done the 12v resistor bypass and removed the radio rack. I have the parts for the doghead relay mod, and will be doing that soon. Looking over the truck, I've found three holes in the floor. The biggest being under the passenger seat next to the jack mount. It is maybe about the size of a quarter. There is also a tear/hole at the rear mount of the drivers seat, but some cleanup and welding should cure that. The small dents on the drivers side of the truck and the slightly flattened exhaust elbow indicate that she may have spent time on a forklift, but the driveshaft is fine.

As for extras, she didn't come with much, besides a spare tire in somewhat decent shape. I did find a 5.56 blank under the rear seat, and a dime. She also came with the Field Expedient Manual Starting System, so I suppose that is a bonus.

Now, I have two questions, both of which I tried hard to search for before posting them:

1) What is the cause of the spots all over the back of the truck after driving her home? There are no leaks on the driveway, and I don't see anything sprayed all over the undercarriage. No smoke from the exhaust, no apparent blow-by, the radiator is just as full as when we picked her up, etc.

2) She does not have the terminal blocks where the radio rack goes, just a power cable with a round plug and four conductors. I could not find this cable in the manuals, just the terminal blocks. The A and B pins show 24v when the key is off, and nothing on the C and D pins. Didn't try with the key on. How common is this cable instead of the blocks?

Now, some pictures.

Attachments

combatmech

I had splatter like that when my fuel pump was leaking like crazy. As you said...no signs of leaks, might just be left-overs from a previous leak. Are you able to wash it off?

SPCWarning

Nice !

Good looking truck ya got there! Glad yall had a good safe trip in it. You sure the spots weren't there before your trip? If nothing was leaking once ya got it home, it just may have been the way the light hit it at the yard that you weren't able to see them. Either way, very nice looking ride, congrats!

cpf240

I had splatter like that when my fuel pump was leaking like crazy. As you said...no signs of leaks, might just be left-overs from a previous leak. Are you able to wash it off?
Have not tried washing it yet, as it has been raining on and off the last two days. Will give it a try once the weather clears up!

cpf240

Good looking truck ya got there! Glad yall had a good safe trip in it. You sure the spots weren't there before your trip? If nothing was leaking once ya got it home, it just may have been the way the light hit it at the yard that you weren't able to see them. Either way, very nice looking ride, congrats!
Thanks! They may have been... have to admit that I was a bit excited picking up the truck, so may have missed them.

By the way, the new hood looks good, are you going to paint it to match?

txmytx_catahoula

Nice recovery!!! I had spots like that on the back of mine before I fixed my trans pan leak, but it also showed in the drive way. I'm with Combatmech, if you're not seeing anything parked it must be leaking under pressure. Enjoy the beast!

kweb434

My M1008 had a trans pan leaked also only going down the road it didn't leak sitting. When I change the trans filter the leak stopped.
Nice M10098)

Barrman

Make sure your transfer case and both axles still have oil/lube in them. If they do, clean of the leaks and drive happy. If one is empty, you found your leak.

SPCWarning

Thanks! They may have been... have to admit that I was a bit excited picking up the truck, so may have missed them.

By the way, the new hood looks good, are you going to paint it to match?
Thanks, and yes I am, picked up the paint today. Gonna paint the entire truck green, then maybe camo later on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks