• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 owner checking in! Have a coolant leak question.

eastTXhunter

First off, I want to thank yall for the wealth of information. I am a total newbie and am learning daily on here.

I got my M1009 this week, and so far have done the doghead mod, changed oil, fuel filter, etc.

It starts up and seems to run great, but there is antifreeze/coolant coming out from under the glove box on the passenger side foot area.

I have been searching the manuals, but wanted to see if this was common or someone knew what it was. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

richingalveston

Thats your heater core, it is common to go out at this age and after vihicle sat for long time. Almost all CUCV's have to have this replaced within a short time after putting them back into service. Unfortunately, the new heater core is a piece of crap but it does work

eastTXhunter

WOW! You guys are awesome. I really appreciate it.

I will do some searching now that I know what it is.

Thanks, I painted it with Behr like another member did. I like how she looks now.

Do they sell them at Autozone or Napa?

stranger75

Looks like your heater core or the hoses that attach to it. Search on here for heater core replacement or leak. Having seen this issue first hand with a fellow SS member I know it is an easy fix. The bolts that hold the plastic heater box go through the firewall, so you may need a helper if the bolts spin.

An issue I know others have dealt with is that the replacement heater cores available are cheap and ineffective. They are now made of aluminum and smaller in size than the original. You may have luck hitting up a pick-n-pull and finding a heater core. They are the same as any 73-87(?) squarebody p/u, blazer, jimmy, suburban.

richingalveston

Those heater cores on 73 to 87 chevy's are only the same if the vehicle did not have air conditioning. The necks for the water lines are not the same and they are not interchangeable. And no you cannot bend them to work without breaking them. I would not recomend wasting time in the junk yards. All of those are just as old as the one you have. The origonal heater cores are a brazed plate design and they cannot be fixed either.

Vhyle

Indeed to all of the above. It's an easy heater core R&R. I haven't done one in a CUCV but I have done them in early Chevy trucks. Easy job. MUCH better than most other vehicles, that typically require dashboard removal.

Skinny

The origonal heater cores are a brazed plate design and they cannot be fixed either.
So should I remove the OEM one in my truck that I just had recored and throw it away???

Bring your heater core to a local radiator shop, pick it up a few days later. Bring your check book...problem solved!

richingalveston

I took mine to three radiator shops and they all said it could not be repaired. unfortunately, I already scrapped it or I would send it your way to have it fixed for me. I am in texas and heat is not a big requirement so the little alluminum one works. If I were up north it would probably be a problem.

Skinny

You Texas guys must not take your heater cores seriously. Up here in Maine...live and die by it :)

For a reference, mine cost $130 to recore which was done by Sanford Radiator in Sanford, ME. If anyone searching on here needs one done, this place did very good work. Pricey but I'd rather not play with cheapo import aluminum cores.

stranger75

Those heater cores on 73 to 87 chevy's are only the same if the vehicle did not have air conditioning
Absolutely correct. I forgot to mention it. The a/c and non-a/c heater cores are different.

A heater core can be rebuilt. Some are too far gone, but there are others around that just need to be flushed and maybe have a leak fixed. I would rather do this than rely on an inefficient aluminum replacement.

eastTXhunter

You Texas guys must not take your heater cores seriously. Up here in Maine...live and die by it :)

For a reference, mine cost $130 to recore which was done by Sanford Radiator in Sanford, ME. If anyone searching on here needs one done, this place did very good work. Pricey but I'd rather not play with cheapo import aluminum cores.
I am such a newb, sorry.

So the new import ones don't heat as good as the older style?