• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner - Plans and advice

lizzyfur

Hey guys! First time posting here but I’ve been reading the forums for a while now, and I’m excited that I can finally be a part of the community now that I got my M1009. This is my first diesel, first 4x4 and first time owning a vehicle older than I am so I know there’s going to be a bit of a learning curve. I drove the truck almost 2 hrs home without any issues, so it runs and drives pretty good despite the fact it sat unused for a while. The previous owner put new tires on it and replaced the water pump, starter and glow plug relay and I had to put a new battery in to get it home, but everything else is of unknown age.

So far this is my plan for the immediate future:
  • Do the Doghead relay mod
  • Clean up electrical connections and wiring
  • Replace all rubber bushings
  • Change filters and fluids
  • Track down the source of a few leaks. The worst seems to be oil leaking out of the drain plug. The plastic washer that’s on it is in rough condition so gonna try replacing that when I change the oil and hopefully that’ll fix it. There’s another leak around the steering box that’s been leaving a small puddle on the ground. The whole front drive area is also pretty oily/wet looking. I know old trucks are always going to be leaky in places but how much is normal and how much is cause for concern?
  • The previous owner took out the glow plug controller and installed a manual pushbutton. The wiring is pretty sketchy so I’m planning on redoing it, and installing a LED after the relay to help with any future troubleshooting. I am on the fence about trying to fix the original controller and reinstall it, because I like the idea of having the timing being controlled by an actual measurement. On the other hand, I haven’t had starting issues yet with the manual button (*knock on wood…*) and adding the controller back might add more chance for problems to arise. Any thoughts on this?
  • Replace the really worn out shocks. Is there much difference in feel between something like Rancho’s or Skyjackers vs Monroe? The truck is stock height with 31" tires and will be mainly driven on pavement but will see some offroad use.
Do you guys have any comments or see other obvious things I should add? Long term the list is a LOT longer and will include replacing brakes, brake lines, hoses, etc. but for now those parts look ok.

Also any recommendations on tools/spare parts to carry with me? I’ve always driven sh*tbox cars so I usually have a jumpstarter and additional jumper cables, WD-40, zipties, fuses, jack & stands, whatever fluids it leaks and various wrenches and sockets. I plan on having spare belts as well. Is there anything in the TM's about what they carried with them in the field? I'm only about halfway through reading them.

Any other general advice or tips for a 4x4/diesel newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the ward. There is no known cure for this affliction. However, this is the best place for you to be. You have obviously done your homework. Your list is right on track. It sounds like you are starting with a solid truck. What ever you don’t know about that truck yet, you will learn from the folks here. Hopefully you will have this truck for a long time. That will give you a long time to work on it. Enjoy the journey.
As for the glow plug question, how long do you have to hold down the push button before starting the engine? Do you have to continue to hold it down once it starts or can you release it right away? I have read some posts On here about these glow plug control units being a problem. If holding the button down and counting to ten gets the truck to start, I’d call it done. Think of it as theft protection.;)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys! First time posting here but I’ve been reading the forums for a while now, and I’m excited that I can finally be a part of the community now that I got my M1009. This is my first diesel, first 4x4 and first time owning a vehicle older than I am so I know there’s going to be a bit of a learning curve. I drove the truck almost 2 hrs home without any issues, so it runs and drives pretty good despite the fact it sat unused for a while. The previous owner put new tires on it and replaced the water pump, starter and glow plug relay and I had to put a new battery in to get it home, but everything else is of unknown age.

So far this is my plan for the immediate future:
  • Do the Doghead relay mod
  • Clean up electrical connections and wiring
  • Replace all rubber bushings
  • Change filters and fluids
  • Track down the source of a few leaks. The worst seems to be oil leaking out of the drain plug. The plastic washer that’s on it is in rough condition so gonna try replacing that when I change the oil and hopefully that’ll fix it. There’s another leak around the steering box that’s been leaving a small puddle on the ground. The whole front drive area is also pretty oily/wet looking. I know old trucks are always going to be leaky in places but how much is normal and how much is cause for concern?
  • The previous owner took out the glow plug controller and installed a manual pushbutton. The wiring is pretty sketchy so I’m planning on redoing it, and installing a LED after the relay to help with any future troubleshooting. I am on the fence about trying to fix the original controller and reinstall it, because I like the idea of having the timing being controlled by an actual measurement. On the other hand, I haven’t had starting issues yet with the manual button (*knock on wood…*) and adding the controller back might add more chance for problems to arise. Any thoughts on this?
  • Replace the really worn out shocks. Is there much difference in feel between something like Rancho’s or Skyjackers vs Monroe? The truck is stock height with 33’s and will be mainly driven on pavement but will see some offroad use.
Do you guys have any comments or see other obvious things I should add? Long term the list is a LOT longer and will include replacing brakes, brake lines, hoses, etc. but for now those parts look ok.

Also any recommendations on tools/spare parts to carry with me? I’ve always driven sh*tbox cars so I usually have a jumpstarter and additional jumper cables, WD-40, zipties, fuses, jack & stands, whatever fluids it leaks and various wrenches and sockets. I plan on having spare belts as well. Is there anything in the TM's about what they carried with them in the field? I'm only about halfway through reading them.

Any other general advice or tips for a 4x4/diesel newbie?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Crazy Town! Be sure to post up a few pictures of your new toy for everybody to ogle :)

Looks like a nice list of things - but not so awful that it can't be done bit by bit.
The really nice part is that you can drive it now, so that should help keep you motivated.

Again, welcome to the outfit!

lizzyfur

Thanks for the welcome and replies! It's good to hear that I'm on the right track so far, I definitely owe it to hours of reading through the endless amounts of knowledge y'all have shared on here.

As for the glow plug question, how long do you have to hold down the push button before starting the engine? Do you have to continue to hold it down once it starts or can you release it right away? I have read some posts On here about these glow plug control units being a problem. If holding the button down and counting to ten gets the truck to start, I’d call it done. Think of it as theft protection.;)
I have to hold it down. Previous owner said no longer than 15 sec so I've been doing about 12 seconds.

Welcome to Crazy Town! Be sure to post up a few pictures of your new toy for everybody to ogle :)
He's in pretty desperate need of some paint so not much to ogle at right now :LOL: The body is in decent condition though, there's really not a whole lot of rust.

20210710_194806.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the welcome and replies! It's good to hear that I'm on the right track so far, I definitely owe it to hours of reading through the endless amounts of knowledge y'all have shared on here.

I have to hold it down. Previous owner said no longer than 15 sec so I've been doing about 12 seconds.

He's in pretty desperate need of some paint so not much to ogle at right now :LOL: The body is in decent condition though, there's really not a whole lot of rust.

View attachment 839441
Hey, that isn't bad. I have seen much worse!

That rocker panel cancer at the bottom is going to require some skill, but the body panels look nice and straight.
cucvrus might be a good source for where to get that sheetmetal and maybe how to install it too.

lizzyfur

Hey, that isn't bad. I have seen much worse!

That rocker panel cancer at the bottom is going to require some skill, but the body panels look nice and straight.
cucvrus might be a good source for where to get that sheetmetal and maybe how to install it too.

My welding skills are mediocre at best right now but luckily I work in a race shop and have a very talented fabricator friend who's willing to help me out. I had been planning on ordering the whole piece from Rockauto but if anyone knows somewhere cheaper, or somewhere in my area please let me know!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My welding skills are mediocre at best right now but luckily I work in a race shop and have a very talented fabricator friend who's willing to help me out. I had been planning on ordering the whole piece from Rockauto but if anyone knows somewhere cheaper, or somewhere in my area please let me know!
That's great!
Having help with welding skills will be great - and who knows - you might even learn some new techniques.
Can't say that I know of a better source than RockAuto.

Would think that you need to paint some of the stuff that Glidden sells to stop the rust too.
Just to fix any small spots that you find.
I almost think there should be a car wash loaded with that stuff!!

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome!

You're doomed! :D

New cards are available from Hillbilly Wizard. IIRC, they are about a hundred, and a better product than the original. I like mine stock, but with a pushbutton backup in case of failure.

The vacuum lines. If it's shifting okay, that can go down the list for later. If not, that's the first place to look.

Download the TMs. Top of the main forum. Also take a wander through the "Helpful Threads" sticky at the top of the CUCV forum.

lizzyfur

New cards are available from Hillbilly Wizard. IIRC, they are about a hundred, and a better product than the original. I like mine stock, but with a pushbutton backup in case of failure.
I hadn't thought about having both but I really like that idea! Best of both worlds.

The vacuum lines. If it's shifting okay, that can go down the list for later. If not, that's the first place to look.
Thanks, I'll add that to the list. I think it shifts pretty good right now, except it's maybe a little hard on downshifts when going uphill. Nothing terrible though.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t have a vehicle with glow plugs, so pardon my ignorance. My question is, if a push button can replace a $100.00 part, why would anyone replace the “automatic” circuit board that causes nothing but trouble? I have to be missing something here… If this is my truck, I hold down the button and count to 12. Problem solved. aua

GunnyM1009

Welcome. Not a bad looking rig. Almost none of ours looked good when we got them but some of us got luckier than others. I've had mine for a long time and it still looks like crap I still love the darn thing though. Good luck and I hope for your wallet the military vehicle bug doesn't bite you to hard.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Not a bad looking rig. Almost none of ours looked good when we got them but some of us got luckier than others. I've had mine for a long time and it still looks like crap I still love the darn thing though. Good luck and I hope for your wallet the military vehicle bug doesn't bite you to hard.
Come on Gunny! You know very well that he is already in too deep. Every cell in his body has been infected with Mthrax. There is no cure! We are all doomed… There’s no point in hiding it. We all find out after there is no way out. :eek:

lizzyfur

Thank you! I do feel like I lucked out and found a half decent one.

Come on Gunny! You know very well that he is already in too deep. Every cell in his body has been infected with Mthrax. There is no cure! We are all doomed… There’s no point in hiding it. We all find out after there is no way out. :eek:
You are definitely correct, except I'm actually a woman :LOL:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you! I do feel like I lucked out and found a half decent one.

You are definitely correct, except I'm actually a woman :LOL:
There is nothing as wonderful as a woman who will roll up her sleeves and fix stuff!
We also have a lady in this outfit with a Stewart & Stevenson who is a volunteer firefighter.
So you aren't the only one - and THANK YOU for being part our group!

lizzyfur

Sorry about that. Please change he for she and his for hers. My observations remain. You are infected and have no idea just how sick you’re going to get. o_O
welcome to the ward!
No worries! It's pretty much already completely consumed me and I haven't even had it for a week so i can only imagine how much worse it'll get! :ROFLMAO:

There is nothing as wonderful as a woman who will roll up her sleeves and fix stuff!
We also have a lady in this outfit with a Stewart & Stevenson who is a volunteer firefighter.
So you aren't the only one - and THANK YOU for being part our group!
Well thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one, although I'm honestly surprised there aren't more.

And since I guess I should have introduced myself better - my name is Liz, and I'm a Canadian living/working in North Carolina in motorsports as an engineer. Definitely looking forward to getting to know everyone on here a bit better, you all seem very knowledgeable and friendly which I really appreciate!

GunnyM1009

No worries! It's pretty much already completely consumed me and I haven't even had it for a week so i can only imagine how much worse it'll get! :ROFLMAO:

Well thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one, although I'm honestly surprised there aren't more.

And since I guess I should have introduced myself better - my name is Liz, and I'm a Canadian living/working in North Carolina in motorsports as an engineer. Definitely looking forward to getting to know everyone on here a bit better, you all seem very knowledgeable and friendly which I really appreciate!
I used to live in Race City Mooresville NC. Nice area up there. I used to love going up to Grandfather Mountain in winter. There's just something about a snow covered view from the top of a mountain. Now that you have a 4x4 that's a trip you can make later down the road to.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a rocker panel for my K1500 a couple of weeks ago. RA wanted $180 for shipping to my freight forwarder in the US. I then found Raybuck, panel itself was a little bit more expensive, but $11,95 for shipping.

LT67

Change the harmonic balancer on the 6.2 diesel asap. Your existing unit may look okay, but the rubber is dried and hardened thus reducing it's ability to function properly. Old harmonic balancers are engine killers for a 6.2 diesel. I changed both of the balancers on my m10008 trucks and it was a night n day difference. One of the old balancers was also in the beginning stages of coming apart. Glad we caught that....

If you ever have to change the lift pump, the only part # that will work correctly is Delphi CHFP906. Delphi MF30030 will bolt on to the engine, but it will NOT work at all.

Enjoy your m1009!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks