• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner - Plans and advice

lizzyfur

I bought a rocker panel for my K1500 a couple of weeks ago. RA wanted $180 for shipping to my freight forwarder in the US. I then found Raybuck, panel itself was a little bit more expensive, but $11,95 for shipping.
I know RockAuto's shipping can be a bit pricey but yikes :oops: I just checked out Raybuck and looks like it will save me some $$$ so thanks for the tip.

Change the harmonic balancer on the 6.2 diesel asap. Your existing unit may look okay, but the rubber is dried and hardened thus reducing it's ability to function properly. Old harmonic balancers are engine killers for a 6.2 diesel. I changed both of the balancers on my m10008 trucks and it was a night n day difference. One of the old balancers was also in the beginning stages of coming apart. Glad we caught that....
I hadn't even thought about the balancer, that's definitely going up towards the top of list. I like having my crankshaft in one piece :LOL:

If you ever have to change the lift pump, the only part # that will work correctly is Delphi CHFP906. Delphi MF30030 will bolt on to the engine, but it will NOT work at all.
Also good to know. Thanks!

reloader64

Change the harmonic balancer on the 6.2 diesel asap. Your existing unit may look okay, but the rubber is dried and hardened thus reducing it's ability to function properly. Old harmonic balancers are engine killers for a 6.2 diesel. I changed both of the balancers on my m10008 trucks and it was a night n day difference. One of the old balancers was also in the beginning stages of coming apart. Glad we caught that....

If you ever have to change the lift pump, the only part # that will work correctly is Delphi CHFP906. Delphi MF30030 will bolt on to the engine, but it will NOT work at all.

Enjoy your m1009!!
LT67,
What is the difference between the 2 lift pumps? I just ordered one from Rock Auto, and it's the MF30030......

Scott

LT67

LT67,
What is the difference between the 2 lift pumps? I just ordered one from Rock Auto, and it's the MF30030......

Scott
Send it back... it will not work at all. On a MF30030 there some play in the pump lever which does not allow the eccentric on the camshaft to operate the pump. The CHFP906 has zero play in the lever and it pumps fuel as it should.

I've already been through this with my 86 M1008. MF30030 will not work.

cucvrus

Just make sure the lever has resistance immediately when you do compression. If it has any free play at all it is the wrong pump. I have seen the wrong pump in the right box. I even have 2 wrong pumps from the last time I needed one. The vendor sent me the right one and told me to discard the wrong one. https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-41618-Mechanical-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C1JX9Q
That Amazon link will get you the right pump.
Check out my fiasco the last time I needed one. I have gone to the great river of parts in the Amazon. Good Luck. Make sure to get the push rod cover gasket also. Grease the push rod with wheel bearing grease and shove it back up in the block and you have an hour or 2 to complete the task. 99% can be done from the top side with the right Gen2 removed. Do it that way or he hard way. The choice is yours. Be Safe.

reloader64

CUCVRUS, thanks for the link. I'll order one and check it closely.

Lizzyfur, I apologize for hijacking your thread. Congratulations on your new M1009! I recently acquired a M1009 myself (well, actually my wife acquired it), which is why your thread caught my eye. I will echo the previous suggestions to change the harmonic balancer. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt, but worth every dime and drop of sweat in the peace of mind department.

Scott

LT67

CUCVRUS, thanks for the link. I'll order one and check it closely.

Lizzyfur, I apologize for hijacking your thread. Congratulations on your new M1009! I recently acquired a M1009 myself (well, actually my wife acquired it), which is why your thread caught my eye. I will echo the previous suggestions to change the harmonic balancer. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt, but worth every dime and drop of sweat in the peace of mind department.

Scott
Now that I thought about it, the shop had to order the correct lift pump through Amazon.

lizzyfur

Scott
No worries, it's good info to have anyways. Congrats on getting your M1009 as well! My new harmonic balancer just came in today so gonna try and get that done this week if the weather cooperates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks