• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 owner with TN title question

stranger75

Hi everyone. I have been frequenting this website for sometime now, researching as much as I have been able to wrap my head around. I have finally taken the plunge and purchased a 1984 M1009.:D I also found a deal on a non-running, ex-Sheriff's Office M1009 which I purchased as a parts vehicle.
My good 09 is in decent shape, has 70,000 miles, and runs great. Pics will be coming in the next few days.
I know there are several SS members who happen to be TN residents. Perhaps you could help me answer a question. I went to the Davidson County Clerk's office this afternoon to title the truck and get tags. They asked me if I had been through emissions. I did my best to explain that the truck has a J code engine, and has been deemed exempt for light duty truck emissions standards by the EPA. The woman at the counter told me that it could only be registered as a heavy duty vehicle if it weighed over 10,500 lbs. What is my next step? Should I attempt this conversation again with the attendant at the emissions testing center? Is there some type of form I need to be aware of?
I'm fairly positive that my truck would pass an emissions test, but as a matter of principle, I would like to get it titled for what it is.

For the search field police, I apologize for not having found information that may cover my question. I did use the search function, but could not find info specific to TN/ Davidson County.

Thanks!

stationjj

Hello,

I live in Nashville myself, and a new CUCV owner. I had the same issue, and I do agree with you.

I finally gave in and did emissions test, and they had no clue what to do. They asked me where the catalytic converter was. I plan to tackle this issue later, but I didn't know how long it would take to fight this issue with government bureaucrats, and keep my M1009 off the road.

Stationjj

jedawson1

At you using it daily? I have my 1984 5 ton registered as classic in Murfreesboro. That would take care of your problem if you don't drive it daily. Also try going back to a new DMV rep, I had some initial issues that were quickly resolved with a different rep. Also I didn't realize the 1009 was over 10K pounds.

stranger75

Thats the issue. The curb weight of the 09 is roughly half of the required weight of a Heavy Duty vehicle. The sticker in the engine compartment states that an 09 is exempt from light duty restrictions, but must comply with heavy duty restrictions of the model year. Something tells me that the yahoos over at the testing center don't know a thing about said exemption. Obviously the County Clerk doesn't either. I'll research the Metro website (that place is a black hole of useless and conflicting information) and see if I can scrounge anything up.

I do plan to use this truck as a DD, and have already started on reliability upgrades in order to do so. I went to Napa this afternoon to pick up the starter relay (a tractor starter solenoid?), and did the Doghead mod in my driveway. Works like a champ.

For the time being, the truck has KY tags, I have the KY title signed over to me and Notarized, a bill of sale, and proof of insurance.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only Nashville and surrounding counties have to do emissions testing. I live in Dickson county and we have no emissions testing so I can't help you much other than telling you to move to another county. :D

jedawson1

Search the TN DMV website and print off the tag weight requirements that match your truck, go back in to a different clerk and show her the tag requirement and listed weight of you 1009. Should have no problem since it already has a title for transfer. I could see an issue if KY titled it as heavier than the truck really is. In that case your going to have to bring proof of weight and point out the KY DMV error which would be a PITA. I'm pretty sure with the age 1984 that you don't have to go through emissions, that will be on the TNDMV website as well print it and take it with you. Some of these clerks really don't know anything about what they are doing. Good Luck

tbearatkin

Had no issue with my M1009. Had a title from Dyer County and I titled it in Tipton county, We have no emissions test.

Metropolitan Nashville & Davidson County Vehicle Inspection Program

Davidson County requires emission inspections on 1975 and newer light duty gasoline and diesel powered vehicles. Cars and light trucks weighing 10,500 lbs. or less gross vehicle weight rate (GVWR) registered in Davidson County require an annual emission inspection. Following is a list of vehicles that are exempt from the annual emissions inspection.

• New motor vehicles being registered for the first time.
  • Heavy duty motor vehicles (more than 10,500 lbs. GVWR).
  • Motorcycles
  • Antique motor vehicles
  • Electric powered light-duty motor vehicles (excluding all hybrid vehicles); and
  • Gasoline-powered light-duty motor vehicles with a designated model year prior to 1975.
The fee for the vehicle emissions inspection is $9.00.
Cash (no bills larger than $20.00) and personal checks (check# over 500) and credit cards (Visa and MasterCard) accepted.
To have your vehicle inspected, take it to one of the inspection stations listed here.
Vehicles passing inspection receive a vehicle inspection report with a tear-off certificate of compliance .
Vehicles not passing the inspection will receive a vehicle inspection report with the reason(s) the vehicle is failing.
The Nashville VIP provides a free diagnostic service to Davidson County vehicle owners whose vehicle has failed the vehicle inspection. The free service is offered by appointment at the Metro Public Health Department. You may make an appointment by calling 615-340-5656. For a map and directions, please click here.
Vehicles that do not successfully pass the emission inspection prior to the expiration of your tags will be subject to ticketing and fines.
Vehicles which must be tested according to the requirements of the Nashville VIP and whose owners attempt to circumvent the inspection requirement by signing an affidavit that their vehicle is greater than 10,500 lbs. GVWR, or by any other means, will be subject to citation(s) and fine(s). Once the citation(s) and fine(s) have been resolved, the vehicle must still be inspected and pass the requirements of the Nashville VIP. To inquire about citation(s) and fine(s) issued by the Nashville VIP, Please call 615-340-5656.
Kit Cars
Definition: A kit vehicle is a motor vehicle (car or truck) that is built by an individual or a manufacturer of kit cars.
Registration
In order to begin the registration process for a kit car, please contact the Nashville Vehicle Inspection Program at 615-340-5656.
The Inspections
1975 model year and newer light duty (not more than 10,500 lbs. GVWR) motor vehicles registered in Davidson County are subject to inspection every year. Following are the inspections vehicles are subject to.
Gasoline 1975 – 1995 (tailpipe, visual anti-tampering including catalytic converter and fuel cap check)
Gasoline 1996 and newer (OBD, data link connector check, visual anti-tampering including catalytic converter and fuel cap pressure test)
Diesel 1975 – 2001 (Curb Idle-opacity, visual anti-tampering including catalytic converter, if applicable, and fuel cap check)