• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner

Vexiis

I just wanted to post and say thank you for all of the information, etc. I just purchased a nice 85 M1009 and it awesome so far.
I am excited about learning to work on it myself which will be nice, I figure people will ask for pictures so I'll try to get some taken this weekend and post them.

Michael

dmetalmiki

Yes indeed..the obligatory pictures would be most welcome, as you are..may you have many happy days with your truck with the new freindships you will forge at shows and rallies you (hopefully) will attend.

Vexiis

Bought it from another private owner, it worked enough to get to the DMV and register it but then wouldn't start. Just got it running again, had to rebuild the starter, replace a battery and then replace the solenoid on the driver side firewall. Right now it seems to be running great, there appears to be a minor leak dripping from what I think is in front of the transmission, I believe it might be oil so i'll watch it.

cucvrus

If it is engine oil it is the rear main seal on the engine. Either way it is a common issue with these vehicles. It is not really that hard to change but it can be very dirty.

cucvrus

Sorry. Don't want to ruin your weekend. I hope this is not your daily driver. It can be very unreliable till you work all the mods and bugs out of it.

Vexiis

It will be my daily driver, but I work ~2 miles from here so worse case I hoof it. I have daily driven an old 78 ford bronco for years now, so I'm no stranger to having to work out the kinks at first.

cucvrus

Also keeps the tailgate and exhaust well oiled. Along with making a welcome addition to the new house and driveway at your friends in the housing development. Been there done that.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought it from another private owner, it worked enough to get to the DMV and register it but then wouldn't start. Just got it running again, had to rebuild the starter, replace a battery and then replace the solenoid on the driver side firewall. Right now it seems to be running great, there appears to be a minor leak dripping from what I think is in front of the transmission, I believe it might be oil so i'll watch it.
You may want to check for fuel leaks under your intake.Take off the air cleaner and check for wet areas in the back. If its a fuel leak it tends to drip down the drain channel in back of the motor and drops it in front of the tranny. Looks just like oil by the time it hits the ground. If it is leaking check the injector lines with a mirror at the injector pump. The lines tend to crack at the fittings from age and vibration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks