• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner

BigRix

Without question, the single biggest improvement I've done to this truck is changing the wheels and tires.

Went from 35x13.50R15 Baja Claws with three stock wheels and one Rally wheel to 32x11.50R15 BFG Allterrains with alluminum wheels.

Rides better, accelerates better, smoother at highway speeds, speedo more accurate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344013002.523461.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344013018.754829.jpg

CycleJay

Hello BigRix,
No offense, but the old tires and wheels looked ALOT better,
then the new set... The new set looks so out of place.

Good day...

BigRix

They will look better once it is lowered back down. And the old tires were so out of round that I could not go over 60 mph without shaking the truck to pieces. Tried balancing and two pounds of weight each, they still vibrate. I will never use those Claws for what they were intended, rock crawling. If and when I find a matching wheel I will mount these tires on the stockers.

I don't have to look at the wheels when I am blissfully cruising down the freeway at 75.

CycleJay

Hello BigRix,

Thank you for the reply. No worries. No offense intended, Just stating an observation.
But since those tires do not meet your needs, and are a safety issue,
then it was good to change them.

And you are right, you do not look at the wheels, when you drive. LOL...

epartsman

Big Rix if you need any patch panels and have a local Keystone aftermarket body parts supplier they carry patch panels. Rockers, tail pan, etc. If you want to use those aluminum wheels they can be powdercoated as I have a similer set I had done in gunmetal gray. They are lighter weight and perform better on the road with better fuel economy.

BigRix

Traded into a tactical vest that won't quite close around my mid section. Ok, it's not even close to fitting, but it will fit around my seat back. Turned it facing backwards.

Looks like a good spot to keep my mags, right next to the rifle mounts.

Time will tell if it's still comfortable.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344312122.738269.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344312139.121577.jpg

BigRix

Got bored at work today so I broke out the paint roller and the Behr paint.

Looks awesome unless you are right on top of it in the bright sunlight. Of course it's still fresh. We will see how it looks in a couple weeks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344886250.281621.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344886264.815924.jpg

Kind of a test to see if I should get a HF spray gun or if the roller is good enough.

CycleJay

BigRix,

I like your vest idea for your seats, that was brilliant..
Also, the roller and a can of paint for the outside, looks great for a low budget job.

Mind if I consider using them?

By the way, what kind of Behr paint did you use?
What was the paint code?
Where did you get it?
Also, did you prep the body before painting, or just slap it on?

Just wondering....

BigRix

The subject of latex house paint for your MV has been discussed a lot in the paint and bodywork section.

I got the paint codes from there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344892700.551765.jpg

CycleJay

Hello BigRix,

Thank you for the reply and information. Where is that post with the photo you took of your hood, after you painted it too?
Nevermind that shot was taken by someone else, but I thought it was yours. sorry

By the way, how much was the paint?

Last edited:

BigRix

Paint was $25 for a gallon. $10 for Flowtrol. I've got about $50 total invested in paint and supplies.

I used a little more than a pint to paint what you see here. I guess it will take about a gallon to finish the job.

Still contemplating a cheep Harbor Freight spray gun. It has a lot more texture to it than I was hoping for. Looks great from ten feet.

CycleJay

Hello BigRix,

Thank you for the post and information. Is the flowtrol an absolute must?
Also, from my previous painting experience, I know you can get texture from a roller,
but that depends on the type of roller you get, some give you more texture than others.

Personally I like texture, but for my '09, I think I would go light to medium on the texture.

I just do not have the funds right now to spend $2k on a paint job, and I would like it
to look better then it does now, and stop whats left of the paint from oxidizing, rusting, etc.

So perhaps I will go this route in the meantime...

Either way, what you have done so far looks great.

Spraying I think would be more messy, especially if you are doing it outside,
and its breezy or windy... LOL

BigRix

Pulled the top off so I could move some furniture so I decided to roll some paint on. I'm gonna call it a base coat ant it will get sprayed with the rest of the truck.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346114238.929537.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346114399.249400.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346114256.911099.jpg

Unfortunately I left the bolts at work so I'm hoping the tie down can keep it from flying off.

ODw/envy

Hey Rix,

I got a package in the mail yesterday that might interest you! It's from GL!

Now if I could get the rest of this K30 off my trailer. aua

BigRix

It got slow at work so I mixed up a little paint to put in my co-workers paint gun.

Turned out real nice I think. Gonna hold off on any more bodywork(rockers). It's getting a coat of green and then I'm gonna start on the inside.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346803785.625150.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346803805.209123.jpg

BigRix

After living with the alluminum wheels while trying to source a couple stock M1009 wheels I have decided to take another tack. I found some rally wheels on Craigslist and decided to run them for awhile.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348605608.138730.jpg

I'm playing with the idea of OD green beauty rings and center caps. I don't have a complete set so I can't do it yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348605749.709167.jpg

Whatcha think?

Pictures on the truck tomorrow after the paint drys.

BigRix

Mounted and balanced and rides really nice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348695972.373586.jpg

Just the center caps shot with Rustoleum camo green.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348696050.129639.jpg

With trim rings.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348696080.028426.jpg

Now to dig up some rear center caps.