• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m1009

hoss0311

I have a couple questions. First i just bought a m1009 from gov liquidation and have to pic it up once my euc is done. I do not know if it runs or not the post did not say is there any tricks to getting them to start or what tools should I bring. I am going to trailer it back i just do not want to wench it up on there. Two, I am looking for hmmwv rims and having trouble finding a web site that has them on it i saw a couple on ebay but the shipping is out of this world like $350. Thanks

ryan77

Best bet to haul them is a small equipment trailer for a digging machine or tractor, there to wide and heavy for a u haul trailer. Make sure you can tow the weight safely, the m1009 is 5200 lbs plus trailer your at around 8000lbs. Bring a winch god knows if it will run or start.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers and the OD Green Madness.

Visit the CUCV Forum and go to the top two posts. The first is the CUCV Wiki and it has links to all the Technical Manuals. Download them all and start reading. The second is the FAQ post.

The -10 manual has all the weights and sizes of the various trucks.

Most of the CUCVs have been sitting for awhile and will have issues.

You have to have the batteries fully charged, fuel in the tank, a good lift pump (fuel pump), working glowplug system, good starter, Injector pump working, etc.....

That is alot of issues to fix or check onstie. Of the half dozen CUCVs I have helped recover, only one started onsite. The others took an hour or two to get running. Another took a week, due to being hacked up.

Not saying the truck isn't a runner, just have a plan B in place.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers and the OD Green Madness.

Not saying the truck isn't a runner, just have a plan B in place.
:ditto: X2!! I got lucky on my recovery, it started within an hour. New filter, batts, fuel, etc.

Also, If your trailer won't do the job, check out the car transporters from U-haul. Just make sure you get the latest and greatest trailer they just came out with. It will handle the 1009. The only thing you have to worry about is the towing vehicle. Go by a local U-Haul and let them punch in the numbers on your towing vehicle and it will let you know if it is big/heavy enough. BTW, use the same vehicle when you pick the trailer up....

Good Luck!!

19kilo

Welcome Hoss!
Congrats on winning a M1009. Nothing really to add to what is already said except if you do some searching, there is a lot of information on GL pick ups and how to be prepared, of course most of it was already said by our glorious leader. :)

Add some pictures when you pick it up. [thumbzup]

Shop Rat Fab

Got lucky on mine looked to have been sitting at least a year maybe 3 since the fuel filter was dated 07. No wait to start operation so we used that bad stuff called starting fluid and a jump from the forklift through the jumper in the grill and it started right up and moved under its own power. drove onto the trailer been running ever since while I worked out all the little electrical bugs. I went loaded for bear though with winch in hand, a tool box and most importantly a key.

hoss0311

Thanks for all the help this site is great wow. One more question it said that it did not come with a key so i looked it up on ebay and got one are all the keys interchangeable

Shop Rat Fab

Yes same key for all of them. I am changing my door lock cylinders for now and plan to use the chain on the steering wheel for now. You can get a new ign cylinder with a different key from any auto parts store or LMC truck. Still waiting for my SF-97 and finishing up glow plug change..

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes same key for all of them.
The vest majority of the trucks do have the same key, unless it was changed out by the department, Army, Navy, USAF, etc.. You might want to invest in a steering wheel puller or rent one and take it with you along with a new ign cylinder. Just in case. Always think the worse and be happy when it goes half right...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks