• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M101 build

WIH3

Finished the main trailer today. Spray in bed liner all around. Looks pretty good with the gloss black frame. Led lights all work great nice and bright. Working on wood for stakes and top is two weeks out yet, fro GMA. Nice to be usable, I have more projects I need to use in now.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. Your on your way!. Guess you could use some mud flaps and a spare tire mount on the tongue, with a gas can holder in front of that. Is that Bedliner material. That i good stuff. I found that if you don't paint it with their UV protector, it will go flat.

Lee in Alaska

WIH3

OOO Nick what does the guy charge. I am so over budget on this. I got the same bolt pattern as my truck hoping I can use the truck spare, But I know the rim offset may not work maybe this weekend I try a swap. I'am worried about a tounge mount my tounge weight is 114lbs. and I don't know how that happened. the whole trailer is @ 750lbs. Hey what kind of wood is on your sides. I have access to ash for mine. It's free. I was looking @ your trailer too, do you know were I might look for two more brackets for the front stakes. THe set I bought is short .

Last edited:

Nick

I think he was selling em for like $150 or so, plus shipping. Pretty sturdy. I looked for his classified ad, but I think it either expired or he took it off, guess no one wanted em. If your interested, let me know and I'll get ahold of him for ya, hes a regular on the Power Wagon forum I'm on, or I can shoot him an email.

My wood is Valley Oak. From local oak trees here in the area. Very very very very hard wood. But looks nice with a coat of Thompsons water seal on it.

You need the front uprights? or just the gate brakets? I beleive you bought the set from Jim in Illinois? I thought he had some more parts, otherwise I would just keep an eye on ebay, they always seem to come up on there.

Nick

WIH3

Okay. I 'am going to look up Jim agian. I will keep the tire rack on the back burner right now. I just need the two plates.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking trailer. I would like a smaller trailer to tow behind my Dodge. The 105s are nice if you have to haul something big but the no brakes thing just seems to bug me.

steve

BSH

That Dexter axle - what brakes are on that? Electric? Or is it an e-brake that you hooked up to the existing brake cables on the trailer?
Thanks.

WIH3

They are electric. I hooked up the brake controller this morning and hauled sod to the yard waste and it worked great. Also dumped like a champ. Loaded a little rear end heavy pulled the pins, there she goes. I started with just a box by the way. the frame is my own nightmare.

WIH3

You make me laugh. I have been struggling to put a color on this thing. It will look better with a tan top when it shows up. I ARGEE it is alot of black.aua

RKBA

I'am worried about a tounge mount my tounge weight is 114lbs. and I don't know how that happened. the whole trailer is @ 750lbs.
That came in a little heavier than you were after didn't it? I am kind of surprised it weighs that much with your custom frame. Mine is only 250 lbs heavier with the axle swap on the original frame.

As an aside, you aren't technically legal with just those mini LED side markers. They don't include the reflex reflectors in the minis. I doubt anyone would bust your chops about it or anything but you might want to be aware.

WIH3

Here is how the weight broke down. I kept track of the steel I used and using your box weight .

Box ... 400
Frame ... 150
Axle.... 60
Tires & wheels... 100
Tailgate... 50
----------
Not too bad I was shooting for under 800 Stock is 1360 . Thats a pretty good savings. 560lbs. I know this whole project is not correct, that was'nt real important. I looked at those original trailers and they use what looked like 3/16 C-Channel. I used .089 2x3 tube and 1/8 " tube cross members where the springs sit and 3/16 tube for the yoke, all tube 2x3. I think without going to aluminum I have the weight as low as I guy could go.

RKBA

Here is how the weight broke down. I kept track of the steel I used and using your box weight .

Box ... 400
Frame ... 150
Axle.... 60
Tires & wheels... 100
Tailgate... 50
----------
Not too bad I was shooting for under 800 Stock is 1360 . Thats a pretty good savings. 560lbs. I know this whole project is not correct, that was'nt real important. I looked at those original trailers and they use what looked like 3/16 C-Channel. I used .089 2x3 tube and 1/8 " tube cross members where the springs sit and 3/16 tube for the yoke, all tube 2x3. I think without going to aluminum I have the weight as low as I guy could go.
I think your efforts resulted in a fantastic trailer - I am jealous how straight your box is!

It is surprising how quickly the weight stacks up on a trailer build, even when you are trying to keep it down. I used to own one of those cheapie 4x6 angle iron utilities you get at Tractor Supply and even that weighed 500 lbs with wood deck added and 15" tires on it.

That 400 lbs for the box included the gate when I weighed it BTW, so you can deduct that fifty lbs from your calculations if you want.

I wish my tire/wheel combos were like yours. Mine are 30 lbs per wheel (actual) and 44 lbs per tire (actual). Mounted up I will have 225 lbs just in rolling stock with the spare included. yikes.

WIH3

I got really,really lucky finding an unissued box 70 miles from my house. Ya the weight you spoke of the cost goes up just as fast. When I get the wood done and cover I though some more pics up.