• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M101 build

WIH3

Got some sides on her today, all polyed up and ready for action. Actually have been using it for some landscaping projects, really pulls nice. Boy those reflectors really show up don't they. Now all I have is to make the rear brakets for the gate and were all done. My spare from the truck fits on the trailer very nice. should not need to mount a spare.

Attachments

WIH3

:D I know, I know they all look the same but I am a little partial. The GMA top came one month after ordering, just like they said. It has to be the best quality covers I have seen. They put huge rivets in the corners @ the pleats. The pleats are welded shut. It fits perfect. I do have to get 3 hooks on the tailgate. My skin for the tailgate did not come with any. WE ARE FINALLY DONE!!. I want to say thanks to all the guys along the way on this web site they are true gentlemen.

Attachments

Green_gator

That is an outstanding looking trailer and looks like it belongs behind the H3. The look of the wood on the bows and racks is really nice. Did a quick Google search on the Defthane as I am looking at ways to do the floor of the M109 and saw this quote, "Used on the R.M.S. Queen Mary and U.S. Space Shuttle." Now I wonder just how much finished wood is used on the shuttle?

KaiserM109

I built up an M101A1 into a real nice trailer. It was missing the top, both wheels, 1 drum and the tongue.

I built a tongue from tube stock and put on a combination hitch.

I welded the front spindles from a '75 Bronco on the axle tubes so that I would have a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern to match our Fords.

For lights I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of magnetic towing lights ($20), tossed the magnets and bolted the lights to the back frame. I would like to put LED lights that accept 12 or 24 volts so that I can tow it behind my deuce.

Except for not haveing brakes, it tows excelently.

PS If anybody has the bottom half of the back leg that they don't want, I would like to talk you out of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

WIH3

Easy to find spares with that bolt pattern. I purchased a 6on 51/2 so my truck spare can be used on here and it fits
great since I always drag it around. Hopfully I don't go through a bed of nails and need it too.:beer:

BSH

I welded the front spindles from a '75 Bronco on the axle tubes so that I would have a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern to match our Fords.

Okay, for the OP with the finished project, that looks really great. Nice job! It will serve you well, and it looks great behind the Hummer.

That said, KaiserM109 has my favorite all-time M101 adaptation. I love the solution using the original axle with replacement hubs. This is what I'd do if I could. I think I saved pictures of this somewhere. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks