• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1028 owner - questions?

tomcava

FNG here - glad to find y'all! I purchased this M1028 this week. It has a non-running motor, but I purchased a second running motor to put in. My plan is to put it mostly back to military spec. My intentions are :

1 - 4l80e swap
2 - swap engine
3 - take off white paint and paint desert tan
4 - redo interior. Where can I find seat covers, dash, door panels, stencils?
5 - Better headlamps?
6 - Possibly slight larger tires and a slight lift.

Looking for any and all advice while I scour the forum. Thank you!
37203632_10216089689130893_3833190030289928192_n.jpg37217715_10216089688970889_467842077359603712_n.jpg37324713_10216089689010890_8207897418524524544_n.jpg

ke6axc

I found my stencils on E-bay. Other parts are harder as no one makes the correct color interior.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

LT67

FNG here - glad to find y'all! I purchased this M1028 this week. It has a non-running motor, but I purchased a second running motor to put in. My plan is to put it mostly back to military spec. My intentions are :

1 - 4l80e swap
2 - swap engine
3 - take off white paint and paint desert tan
4 - redo interior. Where can I find seat covers, dash, door panels, stencils?
5 - Better headlamps?
6 - Possibly slight larger tires and a slight lift.

Looking for any and all advice while I scour the forum. Thank you!
View attachment 734789View attachment 734788View attachment 734790
Did you find that around the Cartersville area?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You poor fellow. You have no idea what you have started. I've been on my M1028 for 8 years and still not finished. I will pray for your soul.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You poor fellow. You have no idea what you have started. I've been on my M1028 for 8 years and still not finished. I will pray for your soul.
Ain't that the truth! I bought my 1028A1 back in 2006. Sold it in 2008. The buyer never touched it. I bought it back in 2010. I picked it up in the same spot I dropped it off in. Out of all my MV's it has given me the most trouble. But it is still my favorite. And the most fun to drive. Do a google search for square body chevy resto parts. You will be able to get any interior parts you may need. Along with body parts.

nyoffroad

Before you pull that "bad" engine check and make sure it really is bad. My son picked up 1009 that the engine was "locked up", the problem was the dumb previous owner tried to start it useing 12 volts instead of 24v of course it didn't work so my son ended up with a good running engine with 20,000 or so miles

tomcava

Very good advice brother, but the advice i got was it was pulled from the motor pool due to a bad engine - and they started pulling stuff off the engine for parts. Since I got the other engine in the price of the vehicle I think it's actually less work to swap the whole fan dam thing. Probably should get new belts, oil filter, fuel filter, and glow plugs?
Before you pull that "bad" engine check and make sure it really is bad. My son picked up 1009 that the engine was "locked up", the problem was the dumb previous owner tried to start it useing 12 volts instead of 24v of course it didn't work so my son ended up with a good running engine with 20,000 or so miles

LT67

May I suggest finding another complete 6.2 and dropping it in there.... makes these trucks a lil more affordable to operate...

I still have the 6.2 in mine and I love it. While not a powerhouse engine, it gets the job done and keeps on ticking. If it ever blows, I'll just replace it with another 6.2 or a newer GEP 6.5 long block. Part of the charm of these old CUCV's is listening to the ole 6.2 chug along.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Very good advice brother, but the advice i got was it was pulled from the motor pool due to a bad engine - and they started pulling stuff off the engine for parts. Since I got the other engine in the price of the vehicle I think it's actually less work to swap the whole fan dam thing. Probably should get new belts, oil filter, fuel filter, and glow plugs?
Ah-ha! That kinda changes things, Yeah I'd pull the old one and drop in the new one at the same time I'd replace all hoses (heater too), belts, glow plugs and filters. Oil too of course, while in there I'd also take a look at the core plugs and install a block heater but that's cause I'm in NY. Don't forget the oil cooler lines, if there leaking nows the time! It adds up but you'll have a trouble free truck for a long time.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t forget to add new freeze plugs to the growing list.
Usually a neglected item and they will eventually corrode and leak.

Easy with engine out.
Nightmare with engine installed.

LT67

Don’t forget to add new freeze plugs to the growing list.
Usually a neglected item and they will eventually corrode and leak.

Easy with engine out.
Nightmare with engine installed.
Yes, yes and yes..... change all of the freeze plugs before dropping into the truck. I wound up having to change all of mine last winter.

Last edited:

cucvrus

If you ever pull the heads on the 6.2 you can clearly see the core expansion plugs. I see most are in great shape. I only ever had 1 engine apart that I changed all the core plugs in. But a GM core plug block heater is a good addition. But only if you like pounding the salt into the sheet metal. Some trucks it don't matter anymore. I have my shop vacuum down sized to 3/8" and suck all the sludge from the block and wash it clean while the heads are off. You would be surprised what is down in the water jackets. I also let mine set upside down with the heads and oil pan off. At this point I would take the heads off any engine I was going to put in. Regardless of how low or high the mileage is. Have a Great Day. I am dealing with flash flooding today. Cost us 8 brand new trucks so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks