• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1028 owner with 208 question

fitz

I've owned a bunch of 73-87 chevys but my M1028 is my first cucv. Just wondered why GM installed a 208 transfer case instead of a 205. I've owned a few 1 tons and they all has 205's in them.
Were the 208's used to save weight incase they had to be replaced in the field?.
I also noticed that it uses a 203/205 flat style crossmember, not the same 208 crossmember found on civilian trucks.
Thanks,
Fitz.

dieselpony

I also noticed that it uses a 203/205 flat style crossmember, not the same 208 crossmember found on civilian trucks.
Thanks,
Fitz.
I recently changed a NP208 to a NP205 on my M1008. The 205 uses the short round adapter, so my flat crossmember sits to low. Not so many civilian K30's with the W-shaped NP205 crossmember in my part of the world, so I ended up using 2 extra rubber "blocks" (don't know how to call it) for the right height.

Are you sure about the civilian w-shape crossmember on 208 trucks? If so, I could use one from a civilian K5.

I' still didn't test drive the truck, so I'm not sure if my "double rubber construction" really works.

Walter

POOR WHITE BOY

All chevy 4x4 trucks from 1973 thru 1984 used the flat type crossmember and tall transfercase adapter. Cucv trucks use the same thru 1987 . Civilian models 1985 thru 1991 use the w shaped or zigzag type crossmember and the hourglass type transfercase adapter.

POOR WHITE BOY

Yes 205 and the 208 /241 use the same crossmember provided you use the correct t case adapter. With the 85 thru 91 models they used a w shaped crossmember and they had a zigzag shaped crossmember - the difference being trucks with a diesel engine - had true dual exhaust and used a little different shaped crossmember