• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new m1028

drewzee87t

Hi all,

I have been lurking here a bit and learned a lot, which helped me to find and spear a 1028 today. I had been trying to find a reasonable diesel 3/4 or 1 ton truck and just ridiculous the basket cases that people have with 200+ k on them that they want a trillion dollars for. I only need a 4*4 for bashing around the farm and for winter snow ( I am sure I will find other uses).

I found this site and did some research and found a local that had several 1008 and a 1009. I went out today to check on them. Most were similar condition from appearance, door dents, some minor rust. Interiors were incomplete or complete with seats running the gambit from destroyed to good.

I had one in mind that was showing 56k on it and had the least amount of rust. It had a destroyed seat and the pedals were heavily worn, had appearance to me that it was flipped the clock.

We fiddled around in 10 degrees and of the five, only two would start. I got to look at the plates on all five as we went through them. One was 1009, the rest were 1008, except one had the higher weight rating 9400?. As it turns out, the two that would start, one was a pretty rough banged up job with a lot of rust, the other was banged up with minor rust, and was the 1028. 62k, nice clean mechanics, decent seats, pedals and other wear items look legit. Thing fired up after one cycle and runs great.

I locked up the hubs and took it for a ride and it runs flawless, there's a bit of play in the steering and the wheel is cocked to keep it running straight, but there was also a poorly inflated tire. We went and ran the other truck and it was a duck. I was pretty pleased with the way this truck ran. I made a deal with the guy and snagged it. Made it home 70 miles, no problems.

Had the operation manual in a binder from fort riley, ks. Last service Equipment Inspection and Maintenance Worksheet was tucked in the book, looks like Aug. 08 was performed. The stuff listed as dificiencies on the form was missing fire ext., missing rear view mirror, heater blower motor fan makes noise, passenger front tire slow air leak, and wobbles if hits bump. The corrective actions were replace steering dampener. No other stuff was fixed according to the report. There are also check dates taped to the air filter box and radiator shroud, plus a date written on the brake master cyl. All were 2008 dates.

All that is pretty much exactly everything wrong with the truck :)

I need a blower motor, a glovebox, the lift hooks (front and rear) and they didn't have the spare tire. If you all have this or know where I can get it, that would be handy. I think the rest of this is pretty good. I am very pleased with the deal I got at this point, but I am sure there will be a lot of issues and work to be done.

Thanks for helping learn about this stuff enough to make a fairly informed purchase... will get some pics up when I can. Truck is a monster, pics don't do these things justice as to the size and power.

My other truck is a ranger ....so I am I guess easily impressed :)

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow, I get to be the first to ask. How about some pics and mind if we ask what you had to pay? Good luck, they are great trucks.

mtjbrown

LMC truck or local parts store should have the blower motor fairly inexpensive part. When you say glovebox, are you needing the whole thing?? Junkyard might be best bet for that. If you need d-rings for tow hooks, tractor supply sells a good substitute. HTH,

steved454

Grats just got my first CUCV about 2 months ago. It is a M1028. You have the 205 transfer case instead of the 208. To be sure you Transfercase shifter should not have an indicator on the driver on a 205. You have a M1008 if your floor shifter has the indicator on it. I just raised mine up 4 1/2 inches and trying to get the money up for some good tires now. Good luck to you.

drewzee87t

WITH PICS......

Hey all, thanks for the kind words.

So, I went through some of the bare minimum check over today and it's not too bad. I fixed a power steering leak (loose clamp at the unit) and also another leak at the (I don't know what this thing is, buth I will call it the vacuum booster for the power brakes, behind the master cyl.). I checked all fluids, everything clean and topped up, tranny fluid was beautiful. The truck does have a bit more body rust than I thought, but it's not going to kill it. The frames are all straight and mostly painted/rust free. The steering issue is due to toe-out on the front. I will get it aligned. All the suspension stuff is tight up front, no blown grease fittings or wiggle. Overall, I am pretty pleased. I used the truck today to tow my Sentra out of the ditch at the end of our driveway :). Taught the wife how to start it and operate it. Dog loves it. Very cool truck, exactly fits the bill for what I needed - a 4*4 beater that will last forever and take however much work gets heaped on it. The tires were all really low. The manual says 45F and 65R. I put them up to 42 front and 55 rear. It took like ten minutes each tire to fill, using a huge shop compressor. The tires are a bit deceiving.

Out the door for 3k. This is probably a lot for you folks that know how to do the auctions, but I don't have the time or ability to move cars around interstate. I needed this truck now, so it's worked out great.

My manual says the 1028 has the 208 tc...it's not a generator or ambulance truck, so I am pretty sure that's what's in there. I wish it had a take-off that would be handy. The 4* shifter has indicators just like a regular 1008. The back has extra helper spring on it. I am just going by the manual and the driver door tag on the vehicle weight. As per these items, this is a 1028. I am not really sure if there are advantages other than extra hauling capacity, but I thought there was some kind of a LSD in the transfer case or the front diffy on these? I would love to find out more info's Thanks

Pics.......

Attachments

Last edited:

acmunro

The truck is a M1028. The M1028 has the NP208 the same t-case as the M1009/M1008/M1010ambulance Other M1028 variants and the M1031's have the NP205 t-case. The rear axle is a corp 14bolt Full Floater with a Detroit locker. The front Dana 60 has a limited slip unit since it is a M1028. Not a bad looking truck at all. Good Luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks