• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M105A2 "Farm Trailer"

KRM_Bear

Picked up this M105A2 from GL in Norman Oklahoma. Local DMV were quite confused when I tried to regester it as a "Former Military Vehicle" so we settled on a "Farm Trailer." Oh well, cheaper that way anyhow...

Brand new tires, brand new tarp, brand new fiberglass stakes, and got it on the opening bid :-D

Pulled fine behind a half ton dodge for 5 hour trip to NE TX.

Anyone tried the new Loctite Freeze & Release product? BF hammer and cheater bar hasn't worked on the lunett ring nut. PB Blaster for a week hasn't done anything. My propane torch doesn't work upside down, may have to borrow a real torch to heat it up...

Attachments

Barrman

Try hitting it down on each side. 3 whacks on the left, 3 whacks on the right. Once it moves a little, it will move all you want. Baseball type swings to the ring itself trying to knock it off just seem to make my arms and back hurt. They are fun the first few times however so you have to do it at least once. Then go back to trying to get it to rotate just that little bit side to side.

You could have registered it as a Former Military Vehicle at $12.50 a year using the bumper numbers as the plate number.

dittle

Try hitting it down on each side. 3 whacks on the left, 3 whacks on the right. Once it moves a little, it will move all you want. Baseball type swings to the ring itself trying to knock it off just seem to make my arms and back hurt. They are fun the first few times however so you have to do it at least once. Then go back to trying to get it to rotate just that little bit side to side.

While you're doing this put a piece of wood and metal behind the nut and tighten the nut down against the metal during the hitting so that it has some pressure pushing the lunette out. Thats what worked for me, didn't even need the fire wrench or the liquid wrench to get it removed.

LanceRobson

If you have an air chisel, take the bit you use the least, grind it to a smooth rounded end and slobber up the nut and threads with penetrating oil. Then use the air chisel, on moderate to high air pressure to rap on the nut at 2,3000-3,000 beats per minute. That'll get the oil in there, oh, about 500 times faster than hitting it with a hammer.

That's how we bust nuts on everything from OD iron to 100 year old steam tractors.

Good luck.

Of course, if that dosen't work, I'll take the trailer off your hands if you pay the shipping.....

Lance

wsucougarx

Nice trailer!!!! and at opening bid, outstanding!! If that trailer were at FT Lewis it would have sold for $500 plus. How do I know? Uh because :oops:

KRM_Bear

Wow, thanks for the tips! Whacking the lunette ring a few times helped break the nut free. Still no luck getting the ring out of the receiver, stuck hard. Put an old chunk of lawnmower blade and a block of wood behind the nut, apply wrench and let the PB Blaster work on it, ought to come out in a few days...

:-D My eight year old daughter just had to show her new trailer off to her friends yesterday evening... They started hanging pictures and "decorating" the inside... :-D

SR71BLACKBIRD

I locked the brakes and pulled forward with the truck and locked the truck parking bake while under pull. Then got out and wacked it once on one side of the ring.
A torch helps too.

Attachments

KaiserM109

I got a stuck one loose by placing a hammer head behind the lunette and cranking the nut into it, all the while whacking the casting over the lunette. The lunette is tapered, so when it loostens a little it will pop all the way.

CAUTION: If you jack up the nut you will have a hard time replacing it. It's technical description is 1 1/8" by 16 TPI slotted nut (not castle nut). I damaged the nut by not noticing that the lunette had a ding in the threads. I could not find a place to even order one; there are lots of 1 1/8 by 12 TPI but not 16 TPI.

TIP: Some 18 wheelers use that nut size on wheel lugs, so you can buy a couple of them (they're thin) and put them on if you hose up the nut like I did.

When you get it off, put a little axle grease on the tapered part of it to make it easier next time; that's in the TM.

Arlyn
Colorado

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks