• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M105A2 owner seeking recovery advice from the masters...

SuperSecretSquirrel

Gent's (and Ladies if applicable :) ),

I'm realtively new to the SS site. I've been reading for about 2 months.

I just picked up a M-105A2 at Fort Meade that I am patiently waiting on Battle Creek to bless me for recovery.

It is to be the future home of the 10kw MEP-003 I picked up about 3 weeks ago from Mechanicsburg.

My quesiton to the room is: Any special advice on 105 recovery?

I'm an experienced trailer puller, having pulled many construction trailers and 5th wheel in past years, but these days all I really deal with is u-haul.

I've never pulled a military trailer before.

I went with the 105 so it would be able to handle the weight of the MEP-003 + suplemental fuel tank (100gal) and spool wiring and sound enclosure. (generator will power my new home construction site for next year)

For recovery, I will have a 6000lb 4wd SUV with receiver hitch (5k) and a 12 inch riser plate mounted pintle combo hitch. With the riser plate, my pintle ball should be at about 24" from ground.

With the pintle eye reversed, the TM says ground height should be 30" from ground. Will the 6" drop be acceptable for recovery (un-loaded) purposes?

Eventually, this monster will be pulled behind my (yet to be acquired) M35A2. For now, the SUV is just to get it home.

And, OK, I'll admit ('cause someone will ask) the SUV is a VOLVO. XC-90. Looks smallish (Durango size) but weighs in like a Tahoe, solid as a rock.

I figure that should be enough for the 70 miles from Fort Meade to home (Chantilly, VA).

I've read a number of postings about trailer lights (magnetic) and brakes (the 105 is air brake - correct?) So I'll have no brakes on the way home - correct?

And what about the wiring for the lights? My volvo has an odd european big circular plug thingy I never use in addition to the standard 4 wire. Anything I can do in advance (splice cable etc..) to allow me to actually use the mounted trailer lights on recovery?

My biggest concern is the highway patrol in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland. Once I get back on VA soil, I'll fel much better (Maryland always gives me the creeps). I'll have VA tags with me.

Also saw some stuff about re-packing the wheel bearings before recovery? Is this really required?

Can anyone give me a good list of do's and dont's for recovery of my soon to be generator wagon?

Thanks all in advance for your time.

Oh, and a pic of the wagon as she sits...

V/R

Ben

Attachments

number9

Take some sort of jack with you because the M105 will not crank down low enough to connect to your truck most likely - they are HEAVY so unless you have some help you aint picking it up and hooking to your truck.

Check the lug nuts on the trailer - EVERY M105 trailer I've picked up had loose lug nuts.

4-pin Flat Plug

Color_____Function__________MV Circuit #
Green_____RH Turn & Brake___22-460
White_____Ground___________Ground to trailer
Brown ____Tail / Marker_______21
Yellow_____LH Turn & Brake____22-461

12Volt bulbs = 67 and 1156 bulbs

The other circuts are for black out lights - dont need on civy truck

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with magnet lites to your plug if you have them. Quick and easy and you can test them before you leave. Yes I would think you could tow this time with the trailer down some in the front. I would not worrie about repack for that trip. I don't know how your landing leg releases. Some have a rocker built in and you just rock the handel to unlatch, If not have a good size flat blade pry bar will help pry it out to unlock if rusty. I don't know about you but yes I can hold the trailer up long enough to unlock and lower it down on the pindel and even easer if the latch is a rocker type. Can be good to have someone else for recovery anytime. Truck sounds like it will be fine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wouldn't plan on being able to flip the lunette on site unless you bring a torch, sledge hammer, and a big azz pipe. Mind your surroundings on the way and you should be fine.

pmramsey

A fun way is to call me and we can ride up together in a Deuce and pull it to your place...no muss...no fuss...Throw me the fuel you would have spent in your SUV for the trip. The only problem with taking the Deuce is that it is prone to stop at Bar-b-que joints.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you got a bunch of real sound advice. Mend it all together or ride with pmramsey and you will do just fine. Lugnuts are 1 1/2" and you can take the front pigtail off of the traIler and attach a plug with bullet connectors but truthfully, the magnetics are so much easier. I also drop the tailgate of the trailer on these recoveries. With the nose of the trailer down, it works well as a big air scoop plus with it down you have a better surface for the magnetic lights.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exposed liability of BBQ joints with pmramsey is well worth the risk. You'll be exposed to a wealth of information, that way.

You got the wrong trailer for your MEP-003 project, though. The 116 version is more then adequate to handle the MEP & tank. OH-WELL..... you'll just have to get the right one next time. That is how the fever starts affecting you. Not that the 105 isn't very nice too!

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot take some extra chains and maybe two shackles as sometimes the saftey chains that are on there are not real friendly to civy trucks.

ralbelt

If you get the cheap magnetic lights from harbour freight check the wiring. Mine were wired wrong and I have read here that a few others were wrong too.:roll:

3dAngus

Even the M101A2/A3 will handle the Mep003 and 100 gal tank filled on highway.
I say this thinking about 1200 lbs on the 10KW and 800 lbs on the filled tank.

The 3/4 ton rating is for off road. According to the spec in the Tech Manual, the M101A2/A3 can handle 2250 on the highway, which is probably where you will use it the most.

The surge brakes are fantastic, and without air on the M105, you are creating a very dangerous situation loaded if you ever take it down the road, which I'm assuming you will.
It will be way to heavy to tow loaded with another 2000 pounds, especially without brakes.

I would definitely think about going with a trailer that is more accomodating to your needs.
The M116 is even better, but not as readily available. The M116 is essentially the M101A2 or A3 with a heavier axle for carrying bigger capacity loads, and rated off road at 1 full ton. Highway will be higher than that. Good luck with the recovery! You got yourself a couple of nice OD machines there.

SuperSecretSquirrel

A fun way is to call me and we can ride up together in a Deuce and pull it to your place...no muss...no fuss...Throw me the fuel you would have spent in your SUV for the trip. The only problem with taking the Deuce is that it is prone to stop at Bar-b-que joints.

That makes so much sense it will simply have to be worth the risk.[thumbzup]

Fair warning, I'm a serious BBQ critic. I've yet to find anything on the east coast worthy of Rudy's BBQ in San Antonio (the original one, not the chain) not to mention the Smith family places in Lockhart.

That is 2 kind offers, PMRamsey, so I'll not only be filling your tank, I'll be buying the food.

BTW that reminds me, I just want to say, to all present, that in the 2 months I've been reading here and 3 weeks I have been posting, I am absolutely amazed at the generous and cordial nature of SS members.

Seriously. I've been working in the federal government so long, I forgot what it was like to be around "good people", and the amount of kind offers for assistance and generous time spent answering noob questions I see here is truly a testament to the character of MV enthusiasts as a group.

So let me take moment to thank all of you, and especially PMRAMSEY for his kind offer(s) which I will very much take him up on (PM sent shortly),and also especially HASBEEN, who is kindly sending me an injection pump for my MEP-003 off an old geny engine he had, and is doing so in a very generous and trusting manner.

My hat is off to all of you gentlemen.

Ben

SuperSecretSquirrel

Even the M101A2/A3 will handle the Mep003 and 100 gal tank filled on highway.
I say this thinking about 1200 lbs on the 10KW and 800 lbs on the filled tank.

The 3/4 ton rating is for off road. According to the spec in the Tech Manual, the M101A2/A3 can handle 2250 on the highway, which is probably where you will use it the most.

The surge brakes are fantastic, and without air on the M105, you are creating a very dangerous situation loaded if you ever take it down the road, which I'm assuming you will.
It will be way to heavy to tow loaded with another 2000 pounds, especially without brakes.
3dAngus,

Agree completely on the load characteristics for the 101, my concern is that I also want to build a sound enclosure for the geny (eps foam sandwiched between PT plywood for 3" thick walls on all sides with appropriate air ducting and poly windows , hinges etc..) and that, plus fuel tank, plus generator , plus spares and tools and spools of wire will take me real close to max for the highway load of a 101.

As a general rule, I don't like leaving trailers loaded permanently with that much load. I'd rather it sit with 60% of the load on it for a year at a time.

And my construction site is gonna be in the sticks, so I will actually need to drag the geny off-road. Sites we are looking at are roughly 15 to 20 acres, and not planning to put in asphalt till well after we are done building.

And yes, I was only going to use the Volvo to get it home. Once I get my Deuce, that'll be the hauler for it. Volvo will never pull the trailer with more than a very light load.

But again, all good advice, and I thank you for it.

Ben

ryker725

Question... I have a Big Tex model LA-50 Trailer that has a 16' bed that is 77" inside the rails.

I have a M105 recovery coming up. I'd prefer to not pull the M105 home because it is quite a haul. Will it fit in the trailer inside of the 77" rails?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Squirrel, You can get a rear leg for the 101 and an A3 tongue jack. Then, when you park the maxed out trailer, you crank the jack way up effectively taking the weight off the suspension. I think you said you were getting a deuce so this is a moot point, but I wanted you to know options too.

SuperSecretSquirrel

Squirrel, You can get a rear leg for the 101 and an A3 tongue jack. Then, when you park the maxed out trailer, you crank the jack way up effectively taking the weight off the suspension. I think you said you were getting a deuce so this is a moot point, but I wanted you to know options too.
I feel like such a NOOB for not having considered that in my calcs. I had just assumed I would put it on blocks once it's in it's permanent home (utility building) - in order to save the tires, but had not even considered that the springs would also be saved. Doh!!!

Oh well, the other concern about off-road maneuvering remains valid though. Assuming we can sell our current place, this thing will get drug off-road a descent amount at the new house site. I also want it to be "bug-out" capable, which means off-road capable.

Hopefully, the bows and covers and side rails will be there (the GL listing said WITH bows, covers and side rails. I just assumed they must be lying in the bed.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks