• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m1070

tatra813

Picked up a m1070 today , got lucky enough to find am into condition one locally

I plan on making a removable flatbed that will mount on the two hitches in back soon.

I want to haul my dozer around with either a 5th wheel style trailer or a pindle hitch. With the hitches being higher than standard, what civilian trailers will work?
or military if you know of one available. Need a 30 ton trailer

also need some parts if you have sources.

small window latch
seat covers
mudflap bar (holder)
3.5" and 2" kingpins to mount on bottom of flatbed
those latches I can attatch so I can lock the doors with padlock
gas masks ( never came with any)

do I need a special fitting to attatch to the air outlets to run a impact gun?

initial impression
runs super smooth. A lot quieter than expected, very plush ride down street for a big truck. Easy to drive. Easy to turn

any parts sources?
Thanks

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
For a fair warning. IF you plan on towing a dozer on ANY type of pintle hitch trailer behind that truck it is going to throw you around and push you going down the highway. Ron found this out while towing the M322 (12,000lbs) and SEE (16,000lbs) behind it. It pushes the suspension bad. It wasn't designed to tow from the pintle. May tow better if you added a weight to the back of it. Otherwise Postman515 in Illinois had a M270 lowboy for sale awhile back.

Just an air hose with a gladhand connection that will let you hook onto any of the truck ports with it. I would use a 20v dewalt or Milwaukee Fuel Series electric impact. They are some bad boys now.

Last edited:

tatra813

For a fair warning. IF you plan on towing a dozer on ANY type of pintle hitch trailer behind that truck it is going to throw you around and push you going down the highway. Ron found this out while towing the M322 (12,000lbs) and SEE (16,000lbs) behind it. It pushes the suspension bad. It wasn't designed to tow from the pintle. May tow better if you added a weight to the back of it. Otherwise Postman515 in Illinois had a M270 lowboy for sale awhile back.

Just an air hose with a gladhand connection that will let you hook onto any of the truck ports with it. I would use a 20v dewalt or Milwaukee Fuel Series electric impact. They are some bad boys now.
Can you give more info on the issues with pindle hitch towing, symptoms eyc

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The air bags need weight to compress them to make them ride better. With no weight on them and a long tounge of weight pushing parrell to them it causes it to push the air bags. How many trucks with air suspension do you see pulling a pintle style trailer with anything heavy? Mostly a dump truck does it. Never a tractor

The m322 can handle 45,000lbs of weight no problem it weighs 12000lbs empty. You would need to swap from 425/65/22.5 super singles down to 255/70/22.5s and go to dual stud pilots wheels. Gives you a 42 inch deck height with a 20ft bed. And eight 16ply tires to handle the weight.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can use any type of lowboy behind that HET as long as your legs are long enough to get that high. You can always add a second set of geared legs to get it higher with blocks. You should be able to find a 24 to 28in deck trailer for under 5000. You cant use an rgn behind it unless you have a special neck made to reach that high. Or you could make big extending feet for the front bottom of the low boy to hold it higher off the ground to be able to unhook the neck. A dozer can climb up to a 60 degree incline. Just not when its wet. Also moving that 2 inch plate back to within 2 ft of the rear of the truck would help with an Rgn. That truck is not gonna notice that plate not sitting over the axle for pulling 20170210_085545.jpg20161201_095957.jpeg20160915_232310.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The air bags need weight to compress them to make them ride better. With no weight on them and a long tounge of weight pushing parrell to them it causes it to push the air bags. How many trucks with air suspension do you see pulling a pintle style trailer with anything heavy? Mostly a dump truck does it. Never a tractor

The m322 can handle 45,000lbs of weight no problem it weighs 12000lbs empty. You would need to swap from 425/65/22.5 super singles down to 255/70/22.5s and go to dual stud pilots wheels. Gives you a 42 inch deck height with a 20ft bed. And eight 16ply tires to handle the weight.

It is not so much the weight or lack of, it is the air bags that is the problem, they move (flex) sideways under a lateral push, this changes the direction of the frame, then with the rear steering, the HET is all over the road (white knuckle driving), I used BART, a m1070a1w ( wrecker) to do a LIFT tow with a m936, it was a dream driving, no push or wonder. The HET is not designed for a heavy pintle pull.

tatra813

It is not so much the weight or lack of, it is the air bags that is the problem, they move (flex) sideways under a lateral push, this changes the direction of the frame, then with the rear steering, the HET is all over the road (white knuckle driving), I used BART, a m1070a1w ( wrecker) to do a LIFT tow with a m936, it was a dream driving, no push or wonder. The HET is not designed for a heavy pintle pull.
Thanks I'll stick with a 5th wheel hitch pull then. Just Need to find a trailer that will work

tatra813

I ended up getting a m1000 trailer for the HET. I do still want a smaller trailer that can haul a 22k load.

I don’t think any civilian trailers will sit level after mounting on the 5th wheel hitch, so I would have to modify one or find a smaller military trailer.

any thoughts or ideas?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at photos of the M1000 trailer I'm thinking you could take off about 16 tires and still haul 22 tonnes. What a beast, very excited to see pictures.

There's an old, parted out Dragon Wagon up here I've wanted and the M15 trailer is supposed to be sitting somewhere up north. Saving an old WW11 trailer, rated around 40 tonne I think, could be a cool adventure.

Have a peak at the M15 and if you're interested, I'll do some mining for info.

tatra813

I’m actually thinking about taking off the outer tires on the bogies. It should take it from 12’ Wide to 10’ Wide. I haven’t towed it yet. The 2 way hiway I need to use it on is super narrow. Hardly any shoulder and some narrow bridges basically the width of the lane.
Any thoughts on issue of taking of the outer tires?

any leads on smaller trailers would be be welcome too. Hopefully west coast

I may just have to bite the bullet and start using the m1000 with the outer tires off. With a farm tag I believe I can run up to 12’6” wide without pilot cars

thanks for the input

Last edited:

tatra813

Would I need to change out the wheel studs to accommodate the wheel and tires you suggested? Duallys right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks