• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1078 owner in Florida

tterbo

New M1078 owner in Florida

Hey everyone, I just bought a 1995 M1078 last week. Thanks to this site I already knew a lot about them. Now that I actually have one I figured I should make a post about it and share my experiences and plans.

I flew to Norfolk and drove it all the way back to Florida. This was my first experience driving one – a 15 hour drive in the middle of Summer. I pretty much expected a rough ride, poor mileage, and routine stops to re-hydrate (No A/C + Florida Summer blows). What I wasn’t expecting was butt-numbing seats and an outrageously loud clutch fan that comes on every 5-10 minutes. And I think I took for granted how much faster you get places driving at 70mph on the highway. Regardless, I had no problems at all and I was really impressed with the ride quality thanks to the air ride cab.

Since I got back I have put another 300 miles on the truck just driving it around locally and learned a few more things about it. The truck really likes 45 mph. Driving 45 or lower keeps the temp below 200 and the fan never even comes on. It also keeps the interior of the cab cooler. On the trip back from Norfolk at 58mph the cab floor was so hot I could barely touch it (no insulation). I made the mistake of putting a candy bar on it once and needless to say we all know how that turned out.

So after 2 weeks of driving I have put together a list of mods in the priority I plan to make them. I love the truck and with just a few upgrades it will be even better:

1. I ordered a new floor insulation and carpet kit that should be here shortly. This should kill some of the interior heat radiating off of the floorpan.
2. I ordered a 24V backup camera with 7” screen. I drive this thing everywhere and sometimes in tight parking lots it’s difficult to see what’s behind you. I found a 24V backup camera that woks off WIFI with a 30’ range so I won’t have to run lots of wires.
3. Upgraded seats. I have a set of bucket seats from a ’94 Camaro that sit the exact same height but have much better support and head rests. They also recline and have more adjustability. I am considering having them reupholstered in digital camo or OD.
4. I already started accumulating air conditioning components. I bought the main dash unit, compressor, and compressor brackets so far. Still need a crank pulley, idler, and condenser before I start the install.
5. Upgrade tires to 52”. The 1400’s are 6” taller than the 395/85R20’s. I did a little calculating and this should raise my top speed to around 65mph and reduce rpm at normal cruising speeds to help mpg and keep temps down. (I hate that fan so anything I can do to keep it under 200 degrees is a good thing.)

These will be my first round of mods but certainly not my last. I have lots of ideas…
20160618_100058.jpg20160618_091943.jpg20160618_083411.jpg

dsanderlmtv

5. Upgrade tires to 52”. The 1400’s are 6” taller than the 395/85R20’s. I did a little calculating and this should raise my top speed to around 65mph and reduce rpm at normal cruising speeds to help mpg and keep temps down. (I hate that fan so anything I can do to keep it under 200 degrees is a good thing.)

I am curious to see how this works out for you, when this gets done plz post pics.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! I believe I saw that one for sale on the popular auction site. I thought the price was right and was impressed with the work that owner had done to the truck. Didn't the truck already have quite a bit of insulation/sound mat installed? I'm surprised the noise and heat is still as much of a factor. We look forward to seeing your progress. It looks like the kids love it too!

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the world of the OD sickness. I'm about 30 minutes from you. Let me know if one of those big tire shops out your way turns out to be worthwhile! I need my 1600's shaved. That's a REALLY nice rig.

FloridaAKM

Welcome from North Florida & to the Green Iron Fever. Nice looking truck & you drove it home from Virginia, murphy must have been busy elsewhere that day! Post some more pictures as you get things changed over more to your liking!

tterbo

I am curious to see how this works out for you, when this gets done plz post pics.
I will definitely post some pics. From what I understand the M1079 optioned a specific way came with the 1400's on it. I am not sure what is required to make that happen but if I have to lift the truck a few inches to make it work it won't be too difficult. This should be a cheaper and easier mod than gears hopefully. Fingers crossed.

tterbo

Very nice! I believe I saw that one for sale on the popular auction site. I thought the price was right and was impressed with the work that owner had done to the truck. Didn't the truck already have quite a bit of insulation/sound mat installed? I'm surprised the noise and heat is still as much of a factor. We look forward to seeing your progress. It looks like the kids love it too!
Yes, it was an Ebay purchase. What sold me was that it only had 4500 miles on it and everything works. It's not loud but the floor gets pretty hot even with the Dynamat covering the entire bottom of the cab. This truck has no floor insulation or mat on the inside and we drove 15 hours straight at peak rpm. I am thinking a new insulated floor mat and keeping the rpms down by whatever means would probably reduce a lot of that heat. And yes, the kids love it. "Daddy, can we take the Army truck today?"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks