• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" M1078

Ue413

Picked up my M1078 from Ft Campbell this morning and drove it almost 400 miles home....a bit easier driving than m923 or deuce.

Curious of members' thoughts regarding the truck Illini to the right when braking. Could it be an air issue?

here is a photo....

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Nice. They drive much nicer than the m939 trucks. Could be a brake issue maybe one of the front service brakes are stuck. Does it drive straight with no braking? Does it feel like anything is dragging when driving?

Ue413

Gents,

i have not, but will do that now. I've got the operators and parts manual, but are you aware of a more technical repair manual being available?

Thanks for the pointers

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When you release the parking brake air will momentarily vent out the front gladhand. It should not continue to leak through. There is a check valve behind the front grill it can get some sand or dirt in it and cause air to leak out the gladhand. You cannot block off the gladhands or your brakes will not release.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Probably not directly but if you have moisture in your air system and the truck has been sitting then things may not work right. The front brakes are just service brakes. Air pressure engages them. If there is a hole in one diaphragm then that brake won't engage properly. The rears are spring brakes. The spring engages the brakes and air keeps them off. When you step on the brake pedal it sends air to the fronts and stops air going to the rears. Build full air pressure shut the truck off have someone step on the brake while you listen in front for leaks. Chock the truck and see if you are leaking anywhere with the dash valve off. Sometimes it's worth taking the truck to a semi shop when it comes to brakes.

gavland

some times the brake drum will get out of round.
jack up the front end and spin the tire buy hand and see if it has a hard spot in the same place every time you spin it.
or one front brake could be worn more than the other side.
just things I have found with the tri axles I drive.

Ue413

I took the wheel and drum off....everything looked good, however, it is obvious the brake shoes aren't hitting the drum. I tried adjusting, but either this isn't the issue or need to adjust more.

Lmtv772

Banned
Outside of the brake issue, spent some time messing with the truck. Had a bunch of covers in the back....2 for m1078's and 3 for hummers....plus a couple more I don't know.
outstanding :)
what are you going to do with the other cover?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks