• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1089 FMTV owner

319cssb

Proud New M1089 MTV owner

Bought a M1089A1. I will try to recover the truck during the coming week & am going first clean her up. And then see what she's capable of.
Are there other members with M-1089?

Last edited:

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
319cssb,

Welcome to the MTV club! There are several members on SteelSoldiers with M1089's. I have MTV's, but don't have the wrecker variant yet!

As you probably know, many of the parts are interchangeable across the MTV & LMTV models.

You should be able to use your ICE Kit with the M1089A1 also.

Stay safe and stay in touch,

firefinder

319cssb

Hi Firefinder
Thank you for the Kind welcome
I've had M1078 and M1088 before, never an 89. And never a 2006 of anything.
Been trying to connect the MDR ICE Box, but I think I got some issue with the Serial cable.

319cssb

So I recovered the truck and of course there are a few things I need to address .
-The CTIS box blinks (all buttons) It keeps blinking even after I disconnected and reconnected it. I'll clean the contacts and clean the Ground spot and see what that will do.
-The front air gauge periodically goes down to 0 and the 'low air light comes on'. Nothing else happens. It will reset after a few seconds. (going to clean the connectors/see whats up there)
-The air dryer keeps dumping air Periodically (actually it's more than periodically more like every other second) and if the engine is under load it's constant (might be the release valve dumping at too low pressure?) Will clean and investigate further.
-The High beam gauge light flickers on periodically (needs some investigating what's up)
-The work lights in the back stay on unless I pull the relay. (short to ground somewhere?)

If you guys know any troubleshooting to the symptoms I described or got a "try SCE to AUX' for me , feel free to chime in.
I'll get back to reading the TM

IMG_1519.jpg

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can download the dana diag software and install it on the msd. The c7 trucks have data bus and you can access the ctis controller from the diagnostic port.

319cssb

How about hints with the other issues , I've posted
CTIS
Air gauge
Headlight high beam gauge, flickering
work lights on all the time

anyone had those problems and got a few tips?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Not alot of c7 trucks out there. 3116 a1s use the first gen analog gage style. I would check grounds, make sure batts are fully charged with tight connections. Could be a bad sender or connection on the air gage. Everything is on the data bus. You may be able to use the msd to diagnose the odd issues.

319cssb

Is the air dryer dumping out of the bottom expello valve or out of the pressure relief? Maybe you have an over pressure situation.
Pressure release valve on the side. Note that I have the newer model.
ive been dumping the air a few times maybe that gets rid of moisture in the system

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think you are over pressure on your air system. That may explain your other air issues. You can pull one of the tank drain cocks off and screw in a pressure gage see what’s going on.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Adjust the air governor down to around 125 psi. If the pressure relief valve on the lower side of the air dryer keeps popping off then you are over pressure. The more you rev the engine the more the compressor makes pressure. I think the safety is set to around 160psi. If that wasnt there you would blow a line off. The governor is on the compressor on the drivers side of the motor. Could be a bad governor.

wandering neurons

Your CTIS - when does the 5-flashing start? On mine, I'd hit the master switch on, and even without pressure or the truck running, my CTIS ECU would flash HWY 1-2 times, then all 5 would start flashing. I had a bad PCU transducer. Otherwise, 5-flashing could be a bunch of stuff. The pressure switch on the wet tank, could be disconnected or damaged wiring, could be the solenoids on the PCU. Check air pressure on the wet tank, then test the pressure switch coming off the wet tank. I tested mine from the canon plug in the cab after disconnecting it from the ECU. The Dana/Spicer manuals give wiring, find the pins that go to the switch and test from the cab in addition to directly at the switch.
Also, check out this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?162326-LMTV-CTIS-Question
There's other threads that cover CTIS, including non-LMTVs (813a1?)

319cssb

Adjust the air governor down to around 125 psi. If the pressure relief valve on the lower side of the air dryer keeps popping off then you are over pressure. The more you rev the engine the more the compressor makes pressure. I think the safety is set to around 160psi. If that wasnt there you would blow a line off. The governor is on the compressor on the drivers side of the motor. Could be a bad governor.
the two gauges show about 95PSI I cleaned off the valve with some brake cleaner, and it seems to not blow by every second.
I took out all the fuses and relays and cleaned the contacts and re installed with some dielectric grease. I noticed one 25amp and a 10amp fuse is missing in pod 4 as well as the lid... Does anyone have one for sale?
I took off the CTIS ground and cleaned it up and cleaned the connector. Still the same result.

319cssb

Your CTIS - when does the 5-flashing start? On mine, I'd hit the master switch on, and even without pressure or the truck running, my CTIS ECU would flash HWY 1-2 times, then all 5 would start flashing. I had a bad PCU transducer. Otherwise, 5-flashing could be a bunch of stuff. The pressure switch on the wet tank, could be disconnected or damaged wiring, could be the solenoids on the PCU. Check air pressure on the wet tank, then test the pressure switch coming off the wet tank. I tested mine from the canon plug in the cab after disconnecting it from the ECU. The Dana/Spicer manuals give wiring, find the pins that go to the switch and test from the cab in addition to directly at the switch.
Also, check out this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?162326-LMTV-CTIS-Question
There's other threads that cover CTIS, including non-LMTVs (813a1?)
I noticed the exact same thing today. I would push the master Power switch and after a few flashes on highway all 5 lights would flash. If I unplug the unit and plug back in. It would again flash highway for a second or 2 and then go into the 5 button routine.

coachgeo

the two gauges show about 95PSI ...
If your referring to the dash break pressure gauges that is just barely there at 95lb but even so that may still not indicate over-pressure is not occurring. It may show that any over-pressure release valve(s) are working. But they may be working too soon since 95 sounds a little low. Check it where Will/Suprman suggested to get a better idea of things.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks