• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M211 Member

SturmTyger380

Hi guys, I am not new to the MV world but never had anything as big as a Duce & ½.

Well this one was on the way to the scrap yard but a friend that is in my club lives near where this truck was. He has asked the owner about it before but he was not willing to sell it. When he saw this guy scrapping a bunch of stuff out of his yard he stopped by again. So he contacted my club and I went to see the truck. It is complete and was running about 8 years ago. So I have my work cut out for me but everything is there.

Now the learning process starts and I will have lots of questions. Alan

Attachments

Tplane37

Some of the reading I have done over the past week shows that Reverse in High Range (to the left) will tear out that Hydro-Matic. The one I just picked up today actually has a bolt in the channel for the selector to prevent it from being put into reverse in high range. Might not be a bad idea to do the same on yours, or at least make sure that you put it in low range (to the right) to back up.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!

It is nice to see some new trucks. Couple of new batteries, maybe drain some fuel and add new, top off the brake fluid and see if she fires!

I see it was a fire truck once. What modifications did they make? Those guys always know someone with an eager torch and a stick welder.

I kinda like the paint on the door, obviously a lot of pride! :)

SturmTyger380

The Fire Company guys did not really do too many bad things to the truck. There are a few odd pieces of metal welded to the top of the bed sides but no harm done there. There is a 4 inch round hole cut in the floor of the bed about ¾ of the way back. That can be plugged and welded. It came with an interesting Motorola radio that the Fire Department must have used. And I will have to take that red light off before it will fit in my building bay.

A few things I will be looking for that got taken over the years. The pintle, mirrors and arms as well as all of the exhaust down to the muffler are gone. They put some crazy pipe on the muffler to get the exhaust out from under the cab.

I plan on taking the air pump apart as GunFreak suggested and make sure that is good before I try to start the engine. Then I plan on following the suggestions on this link:

http://www.kaiserbill.com/Web-PDF/Start-Up.pdf

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Fire Company guys did not really do too many bad things to the truck. There are a few odd pieces of metal welded to the top of the bed sides but no harm done there. There is a 4 inch round hole cut in the floor of the bed about ¾ of the way back. That can be plugged and welded. It came with an interesting Motorola radio that the Fire Department must have used. And I will have to take that red light off before it will fit in my building bay.

A few things I will be looking for that got taken over the years. The pintle, mirrors and arms as well as all of the exhaust down to the muffler are gone. They put some crazy pipe on the muffler to get the exhaust out from under the cab.

I plan on taking the air pump apart as GunFreak suggested and make sure that is good before I try to start the engine. Then I plan on following the suggestions on this link:

http://www.kaiserbill.com/Web-PDF/Start-Up.pdf
Now that's a start up plan!

If you're reading the thread and have not nailed the above link that the Original Poster (OP) kindly pasted in...it's worth the mouse and finger movement, good info on pre-startin' old gear.

Great looking truck. Imagine the stories she could tell, fightin' fires, savin' lives and hauling Soldiers,

Subscribed', great story!

hippiedude

Nice looking truck.......... I saw a pintle on ebay today ......... Looks like she will go with a little TLC ..... Good luck .......... [thumbzup]... Tim

nattieleather

Welcome. Nice looking truck! It looks fairly complete and it has the winch. My old M211 had a winch but the winch had been taken. So that's a good find. Glad you saved the old girl from the scrappers. It should be a fun project. Keep us posted on your work and the keep picktures coming. Many of the common parts are the same as on the M35 so a pintle hitch should be easy to find. Good luck with your new toy. Joe

SturmTyger380

I had to work at getting the bolt out of the brake master cylinder top. I had to use a torch to heat it and let it cool a number of times. Then got busy going to find parts. Of course the master cylinder was dry when I got it open. Just for fun I poured some brake fluid in and pumped some and added more until it remained full. Not much pedal but I will have to try bleeding the lines some. But I figure all wheel cylinders and master need to be replaced.

I will post some photos of my Jeep and the show we went to.

7th Annual Triple Tree Fly-In September 4th-8th, 2013 : Triple Tree Aerodrome

Check out what I have been working on for the last year. I have been helping my friend by doing the paint and body work on his truck:

Attachments

Gunfreak25

I see you live in SC. After replacing the brake system and rebuilding everything, you might wish to spend a few more bucks and go with silicone brake fluid. Regular glycol based is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture from the air, which can rust the internals of a brake system over time since these are vented master cylinders. The Dot5 fluid is also safe if it touches paint unlike regular brake fluid which eats it up in short order.

Welcome to the M211 club, judging from your past work you guys will do a terrific job on it! If it's been sitting anymore than 10 years you can count on the wheel cylinders being replaced. I played it safe and am replacing all steel hard lines too since I cannot see the internal condition of them.

The brake hard lines on the axle housings are made of super thick tubing to resist off road abuse like dents and bending, I didn't know this until I had thrown my old ones away assuming they were just regular tubing. You can't hardly find the super thick tubing and it's very difficult to work with, so if yours are in good shape I would just flush em out and bolt em back on. The rest of the vehicles hard lines are all standard thickness tubing.

Make sure you use the hardware store RUBBER coated line clamps since the rubber will be rotten on all the old line clamps. Prevents line chaffing and vibrations. Small detail and often overlooked on brake jobs.

Subscribed. :)

SturmTyger380

Well no time to measure the muffler but I did drain my transmission.

Anyone have a local source or a NAPA number for the Copper Crush Washers?

I found this rebuild tag that says the transmisson is from 1966 and was rebuilt by Combined Support Maintenance Shops (CSMS). Any guess what the date of 1207 would be?

If 07 is the year that suggests that it was rebuilt in 2007???!!!

I don't see how that could be, if that is true it was rebuilt right before it was parked!!! :shock:

Attachments

Gunfreak25

I have the Military Ordnance numbers but they are only of help when it comes to new old stock parts houses like Memphis. Plus, these numbers are Canadian which do not always have the same part number as US parts for some strange reason.

Outer washer is 5298653
Inner washer is 120214

There are two sizes, I am sending both of mine to Brake Systems Inc tomorrow for ID and replacement part number along with required quantities.

Banjo fittings are still widely used in braking systems so this is nothing new. Someone has them somewhere and I'll post my findings in a few day's.

pad_cdr

I found this rebuild tag that says the transmisson is from 1966 and was rebuilt by Combined Support Maintenance Shops (CSMS). Any guess what the date of 1207 would be?

I don't see how that could be, if that is true it was rebuilt right before it was parked!!! :shock:
I wonder if the date might be a julian date -- the 207th day of 1971, for example, would be written as 1207, of course so would the same date for 1981, 1991, etc.

Chief_919

Naah, no way it was 07. Most likely it is 120th day of 67 or 77.

I am about to get a huge load of parts with the 211 I am getting from AM General, so if you need any let me know.

SturmTyger380

Well I agree the rebuild tag might be from 1971. By that time it would have been almost 20 years old and surplussed out of the Army to the Fire Department.

I went to one of the old NAPA stores to see if they could supply the 1 inch copper crush washers for the transmission. That guy only wanted to sell me a assortment pack for $8 that had only one 25mm washer in it.

So today I went to another one where they guy knew how to use their book. The correct washer are on the way!!

So I got home and started working on the truck to get the carburetor off to rebuild it. I was working with the flexible cross over hose and dang it, it split!!! aua

Anyone know a source that would replace it? Maybe a part number from another vehicle?

Otherwise I am wrapping it with Duct tape for now.

:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks