• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35A2 Owner

jackrps13

Well my name is Jack Ward and I just purchased my first deuce and a half 6x6 truck. It is a 1971 model with a White multi fuel motor and the whistler C turbo. I have a long list of restorations projects and modification projects that I will be doing and I'll be hopefully writing them all up here. I live in Raleigh near NCSU and I work in Cary and I drive this thing a good bit so you might catch a glimpse of me slowly lumbering around the city sometime. Right now this truck has been mostly used as just that a truck. I have been just hauling fire wood and things like that, Soon I hope to get it off road and see how well these trucks live up to their reputation off road.

M35A2 as I got it.jpgM35A2 at the house 1.jpgMy M35A2 and I.jpg

I have plenty of things to fix on this truck such as the headlights being in upside down. There is a huge hole in the exhaust. Fuel gauge does not work as well as the engine coolant temp gauge. The front end pops on turns so I am going to need new leaf spring bushings for the front. I can't for the life of me figure out how I am going to lift the frame of this truck off that suspension but where there's a will there is a way right? I swear all ten tires are a different size I think so I plan on getting 6 used 47" military tires and that will improve the ride quality but that gets more into the modding section that is a whole new list on its own lol.

Here is a link to my photobucket where are there are some more pictures.

Last edited by 6x6jack, Sunday at 11:31 AM

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck Jack, sounds like a typical M35A2. Lots of good info and parts available on this site. Have fun
JC

3rdaavbn

Welcome to the site Jack! It sure is a lot of fun. Good luck, and make sure you make it to the Georgia Steel Soldiers rally next year. It is the second week end in October.

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers... nice project you got there. upgrade to 11.00x20 tires... they fit the truck better then 9.00x20's and 395's.... you loose low gears with the 395's and gain over the 9.00x20's... plus you can still run the 10 tire configuration... down side to running 6 tires is you need a hoist to put the spare in the bed because without modifications, you can't mount 395's in the spare tire carrier... also, upgrade to halogen headlights... 24v H4 bulbs are cheaper, brighter and overall more safer on the road then the stock bulbs.....

Enjoy......

Jeepsinker

Yes, welcome. And be very careful offroad without a winch, you will find the soft ground no matter how long ago it may have rained. Also keep your thumbs outside of the steering wheel. Possibly wear gloves to avoid steering wheel burns. No joke.

jackrps13

Little over 9 years after I got my truck I am posting here again, bumping an ancient new user thread as a way to reintroduce myself. I am putting this truck back on the road after I had life get in the way. I look forward to talking with more of you as I get this thing sorted out from its years of sitting. My truck has been moved to the old family farm where I've been slowly building up a shop space for all my junk vehicles but It's time to be rowing through the gears in this big thing again. Moving my truck.jpg

Another Ahab

I look forward to talking with more of you as I get this thing sorted out from its years of sitting. My truck has been moved to the old family farm where I've been slowly building up a shop space for all my junk vehicles but It's time to be rowing through the gears in this big thing again.
You working out of an old barn maybe, jackrps13?

Swope

Little over 9 years after I got my truck I am posting here again, bumping an ancient new user thread as a way to reintroduce myself. I am putting this truck back on the road after I had life get in the way. I look forward to talking with more of you as I get this thing sorted out from its years of sitting. My truck has been moved to the old family farm where I've been slowly building up a shop space for all my junk vehicles but It's time to be rowing through the gears in this big thing again. View attachment 885988
Nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks