• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m35a2 owner.

azM35a2

i didn't drain the oil yet. it turns over fine for the first little bit then slows down. i have no intentions of changing 5? gallons of oil from a nonrunning vehicle.

you...have to hook them in 24v series...theres no other way to do it.

No, that is the correct way. 2 batteries could be connected in series or parrallel. Since none of us are there we may need some information from you, it may seem like stupid questions but it is necessary. Do you have flame heat or ether start?

azM35a2

No, that is the correct way. 2 batteries could be connected in series or parrallel. Since none of us are there we may need some information from you, it may seem like stupid questions but it is necessary. Do you have flame heat or ether start?
it's wired, 24v.

what do you mean "flame hear or ether start"?

Many of these trucks have a cold start option, flame heat or ether start, if you have a switch on the lower left dash panel you probably have one. The flame heater type can leak thru into the cylinders and cause hydraulic obstruction or lock. You can disconnect the fuel supply to the flame heat, it is located on top of the engine near the front.
Hydraulic lock can be caused by coolant leaking into the cylinders also.
You should always make sure the engine spins over freely before turning on the fuel. You may need to pull the injectors and clear the cylinders.
As I said this is just armchair advice from afar.

azM35a2

it's not experiencing hydrolock. i do know that.

there is a little stainless panel on the lower left with a toggle switch, when you move it to it's on position (spring loaded to go back off automatically), not sure what it does but when you move it over you hear something happening (perhaps similar sound of a windshield washer system. )

i still need to pull the fuel shut off rod assembly apart and clean/check it, wasn't up for working on the duece today. going to try to get some new battery's tomorrow.

Jinx

What did you do about the turbo? You said it was bad. I remember reading that the timing on these engines is different for turbos vs. non turbos. Did you replace the turbo or are you trying to start it without the turbo? It may not be starting because the truck is trying to run with a turbo, but there isn't installed.

scooter01922

there is a little stainless panel on the lower left with a toggle switch, when you move it to it's on position (spring loaded to go back off automatically), not sure what it does but when you move it over you hear something happening (perhaps similar sound of a windshield washer system. )
Ok, that would be the cold start system. Basically there is a fuel pump that turns on when you hit that switch that forces high press fuel through a nozzle in your intake and ignites it with a spark plug of sorts. Basically you have the inner workings of an oil furnace in the intake. I would not go playing with that without the truck cranking over. Otherwise you are just spraying your intake full of diesel fuel as you wouldn't be getting the airflow needed to keep it burning. Not really worth messing with at this point as it isn't exactly the arctic in AZ and thats for cold weather starting. Since it starts with ether i would definately free up the stop lever and then go from there. Please don't take and of the replies here the wrong way. From our perspective you are like any other newbie. We really don't know your level of mechanical ability at all at this point so while some of the suggestions may seem rudementary its all meant in the best intentons.

azM35a2

and don't take my replies wrong. the wife has been pissing me off since i got the duece... so if i seem short in any of my replies, i appologize. women + 115 degree's in the sun = a bad day.

i went and got some 800cca battery's today, man that thing spins over 100% different than it did with Anything else i put in it! i almost grabbed semi battery's lol, but i knew they wouldn't fit in the battery bay. thought about modding it to fit 2 4D semi battery's....

so now it turns over plenty fast but still doesn't run. i'll clean that shutoff rod assembly today when the sun is down enough to give me some shade, and then bleed the injectors and seem where it stands.

my background:
i've been a mechanic since '99, but 95% in the gasoline field. i own 4 diesel's...and can get around them pretty well however this is the first BIG diesel (and military grade) vehicle i've owned so, some stuff is a bit new to me...and i just enjoy the input of other's who have actually sat around working on these already.

i'll let you know later tonight, the outcome of the above.

scooter01922

115 degrees, deuce won't start and the wife is pissed at you. Wow, surprised you haven't been replying and telling people to go screw :lol:. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the shutoff confirmed as moving freely. FWIW you can have that cover off, monkey with things a bit and have it back on in less than 5 min. Its just those 2 little screws holding it there.

azM35a2

well the fuel shutoff rod was fine, and everything moves fluidly in there. however i cracked the nuts on each injector...and got no fuel.

it's issue is fuel related, i know that 100%. but at this point i'm losing my patience.

azM35a2

well i cracked the nut at that runs into the injection pump from the filters...has fuel, cracked it at the injection pump to an injector...nothing. looks like the injection pump is bad.

azM35a2

sorry but i'm done with this thing. i don't have the time, patience or money to put into replacing the injector pump. it would have been fun.

bryan70546

well i cracked the nut at that runs into the injection pump from the filters...has fuel, cracked it at the injection pump to an injector...nothing. looks like the injection pump is bad.
Yea just hang in there , maybe look into getting a new pump are get that one rebuilt , I think I saw a few on ebay if that helps you any hope you get your truck running soon just dont give up on the ole girl.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks