• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M38a1 for me

tymbom

I just bought an M38a1 the other day. It's in darn good shape, no bubba mods to speak of. It has an old Koenig PTO winch, and some old Thunderbird seats. I can't figger out how to post pics off my phone though... is there someone I can email or text them to?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that looks nice. it would look really good in a nice OD coat of paint
...and no winch, no rollbar, some NDTs, and some bubba needs to learn where the license plate goes. :)

Nice start to your addiction! Keep us posted as it turns back into a military jeep!

tymbom

Bubba didn't do much to this one... the only rust I have found was in one of the hat channels... the back panel is perfect, except it backed into something and pushed it in alittle. The floors are all in great shape. I removed the license plate and plan on mounting it in a better spot. The black leather T-Bird seats are actually very comfy.I plan on re-greening the old girl soon. I'd like to do a resto mod, bolt ons and stuff to make it more usable.

tymbom

It's alot of fun. I bought a little trailer to pull behind it. It's not a military trailer, but its an old civilian Jeep trailer from the 50's that someone painted OD green.

tymbom

I know you guys are gonna hate me... But my resto-mod went snow ball on me and turned into something more... The F-Head blew up after the brakes failed on me a couple times. I wanted to put a 4-speed in it anyway... Now ive got newer axles, transmission, transfer-case, and engine. Of course bigger tires too. Better brakes are planned as well. I dug into the Jeep and found a lot of strange stuff and bondo so I don't feel too bad. Plus I couldn't find any original serial numbers anywhere. Ive put newer YJ springs under and lengthened the wheelbase a little. Im trying to keep it as low as possible with the big tires to have good ground clearance for snow. Please don't hate too much

uploadfromtaptalk1391493190314.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

wilfreeman

Oh well, another one bites the dust! Have fun with it. Better get those brakes upgraded pretty soon with all the mods though - they were barely adequate for a stock setup.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I dug into the Jeep and found a lot of strange stuff and bondo...
This happens a lot more than you think to our jeeps. We get something that looks good, and we think "it doesn't need much". Then the magnifying glass comes out and you find all sorts of Bubba-mods that were done over the years. This is especially common with CJs.

Looks good as a resto-mod, hope you get some fun use out of it....

tymbom

Later model tub with an early chassis. Later fenders with the early grill. The right fender has a 1/4 inch of bondo. Early battery box cover with random odd sized bolts to hold it down. Even though the loops for the strap are still there. The seat frames had the backs cut off to make way for the T-bird seats. Its still gonna be painted the correct colors and stenciled for the Seabees. My dad drove one of these in Vietnam, so I really want to do that for him. He also tells me a story of loosing a M-715 in a rice paddy...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2