• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new M54 owner need help!!!

pantherjames653

HELP!!! i am a new owner of a M54A1C 5 ton 6x6 diesel and need help with anything and everything! i have never owned a military vehicle before and i dont know anyone who does or who can help. right now im looking for fuel filter numbers, oil filter numbers, cab covers and bed covers. anything else would be helpful! thanks!!

poppop

Welcome to the site. GMA company builds both for the Government and sells to the public. SS member and moderator clinto's Girlfriend has tan cab covers for sale and SS member decodeme2 may still have complete camo cargo cover kits which include all uprights and bows for a good price to SS members. He just notified me today he shipped the one I bought from him. E-bay is also a good source. Check the classified here as I thisnk several members have the advertized.

AMGeneral

Ok,I'm guessing by the M number,this is a 5 ton dropside cargo powered by a Mack ENDT 673 diesel,in which case here are your filter #s

All are Baldwin filter numbers

Full flow oil-P20HD
Bypass oil- P52
Primary fuel(drivers side frame,inside the front fender)PF 828
Final fuel(on engine)PF 819

The cab canvas is the same as a deuce,and the cargo canvas,I don't think anyone reproduces it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the MV world. Please at the earliest, obtain the operators manual -10, the direct support maintenance manual -20 and part manual -20P, and the general support/depot support manuals -34 and parts manual -34P. These will get you through most of what you need to know. They make great bed time and toilet reading.

adv789

Welcome to the MV world, i too am really new to this whole hobby. i now own a 1968 kaiser-jeep m54a2. so far i have just changed all the oil and filter, fuel and oil both. and put the exhaust up where it should be. i got all my filters from eriksmiltarysurplus, how ever there is a guy on here (SS) that sells them too, i wish i had of asked if there was before i just went and bought them, cuz i would have bought them from him, next time though. but so far i love my m54, the more i drive it, the more i love it.

anyways welcome.
im Ryan

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from AZ. Please post some pictures of your prize, we're a very visual gang. Also please tell us about it's condition and where you found it.

The Technical Manuals (TM's) mentioned above are required reading. You can find them in Resources section of this site.

My M54A1C is below. By the way, you have a rare truck on your hands.

Attachments

pantherjames653

Thanks guys for your help! I got it from a local junkyard. it had no top so everything was exposed to the weather but in pretty good condition. its in a decent condition but has some rust under the doors, the window on the drivers side door is cracked and the passenger side door has more problems. it gives me something to do:p i started taking it apart, cleaning and painting and i am getting it back together again. i started to paint it black to start with but i might change it later. ill post more current pics as soon as i can. this is what it looked like when i got it home:-D

i was wondering why is it a rare truck?

Attachments

pantherjames653

Hey thanks so far for your help! i got all my filters and most fluids changed and almost done painting and repairing. i put my vin info in to carnac so i can find out some more of its history. i havent got an updated pic yet but i will soon.

wdbtchr

I gotta find some new junk yards to hang out in, I never find anything good(or what I need for that matter). It's hard to find good junk yards anymore, I remember when I was a kid they seemed to be every where.

pantherjames653

this is my vin info from Carnac!

Organization:
1ST BATTALION, 101ST FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT
MASSACHUSETTS
Nomenclature:

TRUCK CARGO D/S 5-TON Model:
M54A1C NSN:
2320008804614 Serial Number:
M72511151 Registration Number:
5D13069 Year of Mfg:

Cam Morehead

I believe I saw somewhere it made 250 hp. I would assume it makes less torque than the 250 Cummins. I was just wondering if the Mack had more power than the Cummins but it appears not. I love knowledge. Thanks, Cam

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks