• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new M656 owner second impressions

Stalwart

The first and second photos are of the amphib. First pic. shows the bed sides down and the second they are removed. They must be up and the seals pressurized to float. They are all built by Ford with the same basic chassis and powertrain.

duncan

Thanks, I get it this time around! That one hell of a cool machine.

Why'd you sell yours then Stalwart? I mean I can see why you'd sell the stalwarts, Ive tried sitting in one and even thinking about that still hurts ;) But I'd think you would want to hang on to a rare piece of history like this?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't speak for Stuart, but he bought a HEMTT. Judging by all his m656 posts, I think he has second thoughts. :)
I love my 757 (as you now know, a close relative to the 656). Believe it or not, I sometimes take my shoes off when working inside the all aluminum cab...
Duncan, look again at the junk yards near you, that's where most of them ended up, perhaps you can snag one, then again, I think we discussed this once before.

Attachments

duncan

Can't speak for Stuart, but he bought a HEMTT. Judging by all his m656 posts, I think he has second thoughts. :)
Usually people get to the point where they convince themselves they need to sell it, and then regret it ever after. Seen it with car and bike owners too. Usually its their first ride they regret selling the most.

I love my 757 (as you now know, a close relative to the 656). Believe it or not, I sometimes take my shoes off when working inside the all aluminum cab...
Duncan, look again at the junk yards near you, that's where most of them ended up, perhaps you can snag one, then again, I think we discussed this once before.
Yeah, I drove by that one scrapyard here based on a picture. I think that was one you showed me. As I said back then too, not entirely sure if they didnt know about it for real, or just didnt want to tell me anything. Either way I can't afford another project, and have no room for it either. Such is city-boy life in a crowded little country.

So, how about some more 'second impressions' from sangamon? With that nice mog somewhere in view as well, please ;)

Stalwart

Bjorn is mostly correct, I'd have LOVED to have kept the 656 but I couldn't keep it inside any more. The HEMTT takes up too much room and all my other armor needs to live inside. I also have other toys than green things. :wink: Once we decided on the HEMTT, we decided we were going to totally change our collection away from amphibians and to just stay with the HEMTT, 4 generations of British Recon. vehicles and the V100. 6 MV's are enough for the two of us. I'm hoping my wife Jane will adopt the HEMTT and we'll each own 3, she owns a Ferret & a Fox.

Stalwart

This truck sold today at auction for $8000. We don't know what happened to Sangamon but we hope he's at least OK. His two Unimogs were in the same auction :-(

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stuart, thanks for the update. I did not even know about the auction and never would have linked it to SANGAMON.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually people get to the point where they convince themselves they need to sell it, and then regret it ever after. Seen it with car and bike owners too. Usually its their first ride they regret selling the most.

Yeah, I drove by that one scrapyard here based on a picture.
Been there, done that. Sometimes you other needs are bigger. You know you are going to regret it even before you shake hands, but sometimes there are no alternatives left.

Whatever, Duncan, which Dutch scrapeyard that was?

Stalwart

Bruce and Bjorn,

Something BAD has happened to Brad, that much is certain but I hope they guy is at least alive and in good health. Jane and I only met him 3 times but he seemed like a REALLY nice guy. He was retiring to Blane from Seattle and he wasnt really very old, middle, perhaps late 50's. I've done some searches on his real name and "Sangamon", which he uses in some Unimog forums and the last thing I've found is a year old.

Oh well . . .

Tactical_Wookie

Brad (Sangamemnon) Status?

The guy that I kept honest at the auction- Seth, heard that the previous owner of the 656 and 'Mogs had moved to an apartment, and no longer had a place to park big toys.

I hope the guy is allright.

@ Stewart: Nice chatting with you about the truck, and looking forward to more.

@ Duncan: Nice Tatra! Also a very kick-ass truck :)

@ All: Maybe I can find the Expansible Van version someday... That fits better with my evil scheme of building the go-anywhere RV from **** :) Either that or a HEMTT with an S-280 (or larger) and genset in the bed....

--Ira

Stalwart

The guy that I kept honest at the auction- Seth, heard that the previous owner of the 656 and 'Mogs had moved to an apartment, and no longer had a place to park big toys.

I hope the guy is allright.

@ Stewart: Nice chatting with you about the truck, and looking forward to more.

@ Duncan: Nice Tatra! Also a very kick-ass truck :)

@ All: Maybe I can find the Expansible Van version someday... That fits better with my evil scheme of building the go-anywhere RV from **** :) Either that or a HEMTT with an S-280 (or larger) and genset in the bed....

--Ira
Doesn't make any sense unless he just had a heart attack or stroke. He just finished his new building on his Blane property some months AFTER purchasing the 656. And he was in the process of moving up to Blane as he was retiring from his job in Seattle.

If you do the HEMTT + S-280, don't plan to mount anything on the roof of the shelter, the combined height is just inches shy of 13' 6" aua

My HEMTT had an S-280 just prior to me purchasing it, looked kinda strange to me but it was functional!

There was a XM-791 (Ford 8x8 + expandable van) on eBay about 4 years back . . . $4500 took it and it looked pretty good! I was tempted for spare parts and the ex-van body but it was back east.