• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M816 in MO need help and advice.

mcshooter79

I just won an auction for a running and working M816 that looks fairly complete from a well known auction site. I got it for $5100, I have always wanted one but it was kind of an impulse purchase that I didn't actually expect to win. I have questions and need advice:

1. This my first 800 series 5-ton (I have an M35A2C-WW and 4 M939 series trucks), what should I look for before I get on the road with it? I will have to get it at least back to southern AL from Sparta MO, about 600 miles.

2. I'm sure that this truck is missing allot of it's BII equipment. I know it has the outriggers but what else should I look for when I get to the truck?

3. If the seller insists that I remove the truck within 7 days and I am not able to do it is there anyone in the Sparta MO area that might be able to help me out until I can get up that way (probably 4 to 5 weeks)?

4. For planning purposes what should I expect on the highway as far as speed and fuel burn? It is still on the NDT 11.00x20s.

Thanks in advance. M816-R.jpgM816-L.jpg

area52

Its pretty much the same as a M35A2 as far as inspection goes. No intank fuel pump just the IP on the engine so if the rubber fuel lines have a pinhole, it lets the fuel drain back to the tank and it takes forever to start. Get a can of ether to help start it if that happens.

Mine got 3-4 miles per gallon but I am just guessing. The BII is listed in the operators manual but you probably wont need all of it.

Does it all work, i.e. crane, winch etc.? I noticed its missing the top part on the front winch (level winder).

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake lines, see any leakage? Are they firm?, tire side rot, the basics for any MV. I don't have any older than 86 so I can't help much. Just be prepared for the worst. I see you have a few already so you know the drill except for the older vehicles. Good luck Sir. Actually I see that M35A2C, so you're probably more in tune with what to look for than I am.

Last edited:

BigDawg41

I'm new to the 800 series trucks also and can't answer most of your questions. I can tell you that max highway speed I pushed on mine was 55 mph at max rpm of 2300. It seemed to like cruising at 51-52 mph though at 2100 rpm. Good Luck and keep us updated about your trip home with it.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M813 likes to cruise @52 mph. The M816 weight will keep that a little slower. Biggest concern is the brakes, keep an eye on the m/c and look it over for any leaking wheel cylinders. Check for a mushy/spongy brake pedal. M809 brakes in good order will stop the truck on a dime. Drain the water separator and fill the tank full of fresh diesel, w/ a healthy shot of Diesel Klean. Use the Diesel Klean at all fill ups. The tires look OK in the photos, check real good for side wall damage.
Looks like a nice ol' M816, give it a good home and post up more detailed pic when available. Oh yeah, take your credit cards because Mr Murphy may be looking for a lift south.
JC

mcshooter79

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah between my experiences already and the info I've found here I feel pretty prepared but I just wasn't sure if maybe there were some 800 series specific things I should look for. I have my standard kit of tools and I'll have my pickup with me as well so hopefully I'll be prepared for Murphy. Everything is supposed to work and I noticed that the level wind was missing from the winch as well but I feel like I got a pretty good deal on the truck so I don't mind buying some stuff with the money I saved if I have too, I would like a hard top and I don't think it has the wiffle tree or any snatch blocks so I will have to track that stuff down as well. I guess it's going to be a slow drive. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Having been a member of the M816 Wrecker club (otherwise known as my biggest green iron money pit) I can tell you that these trucks have challenges. Operation of the crane or rear winch involves a lot of switching valves and engaging PTO's. They have a couple of mechanical gearboxes that can fail and cost some money to repair or replace.
The best piece of advice I can give you is to have the beast shipped. Breaking down on the side of the road in a 36,000 pound vehicle with a 24 volt electric system is not something you want to happen. A short tow would cost you a ton of money. If you want the number of one of our members that is a dispatcher for a major flatbed company PM me.
That being said these wreckers are great vehicles to have around, especially if you have other large MV's. They are not the greatest tow truck in the world. Most of the military units I was in used them for the rotating boom more than they did for towing. Flat towing was the preferred method rather than using the wiffle tree and lifting the front end of the towed vehicle.
The rear winch will drag ****'s half acre if you can hook to it and use enough snatch blocks.
The 250 Cummins is a pig and with the weight of the wrecker and with a heavy tow on the back you will not make much speed on the highway. If you hit a hill you better be well versed in split shifting the transmission/transfer case since the gears tend to make it fall flat on it's face between third and fourth gear. For some reason the 800 series 5 tons were a lot harder to split shift than the deuces.
Good luck with your new prize.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks