• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new m818 owner apparent ly!

bull

I have been in the market for a new mv since i sold my duece in may. I rhinj=k I have found the truck I want. Its almost 700 miles away, but my duece recovery was almost 400 miles.

a could a questions for you guys. i have searched the recovery posts.

common sizes of wrenches/sockeys to bring along?

sources for 16.00r20 tires/wheels?

amything elkse i should know?

and lots of prayer:-D

I have talked to m1075, who has been a great help, thank you.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
hmmm...700 miles...is it in Savannah GA...Ft Stewart?

I am orginally from KY, Hardinsburg...left there in 1971 though...don't recall where Carlisle is?

Are ya gonna try to drive it home? I'm gonna pick one (818) up in Ft Stewart this or next week...gotta call them tomorrow...let me know...might be able to get you 200 miles closer.

bull

no, actually the truck i'm looking at is from a private seller in iowa. my duece came from redstone though.

yeah, i'm going to try to drive it back.

coming from harrodsburg carlisle is about 45 miles east on 68.

good luck with your recovery and thanks for the offer to help

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
No problem Sir...and good luck to you as well.
BTW...I'm hauling mine on a trailer...dont want any surprises enroute! We'll check that puppy out...after we get her home.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think from here on out i will recover with a trailer. I had a perfectly good 5 ton stop running due to losing prime on the last recovery. Yesterday I knew someone recovering a tractor and the tow bar came out and snapped due to the pin not being properly secured. In short , a break down will cause plenty with emergency towing and an accident will cost you your home. Good luck on the drive. You have a much higher success rate on your recovery if buying from a private member than GL. And that percentage goes up even high if you are buying it from one of our credible and trusted members on this site. My 2 cents...(How do I do the little 2 cent icon???)

Nonotagain

A 10 ton trailer works fine but you need a good truck hooked to it. A 3/4 ton might work OK but I prefer a 1 ton. You need to know the brakes work good and still pay attenion to whats going on around you. Panic stops do not work well.
So just how much tonge weight did you have on that Chevy 1 ton truck? I would think that if you had centered the duece over the trailer axles the Chevy would have been much happier.

poppop

No, you want it heavy on the truck. When that idiot pulls out on front of you, you want those truck tires glued to the pavement. If they are'nt then that Duece is going to do its best to pass you and thats no fun. As for the load on the trailer, I used to farm tobacco and it was baled in 800 pound bales. I certainly don't recommend this, but one trip to the market I had 24,500 pounds of tobacco on the trailer and the truck and trailer handled it just fine, I was very aware of everythimng going on around me so as not to get any surprizes.

rat4spd

Nevermind. I saw the above post. You have to be well over 30-40% tongue weight. You've got prolly 85% of the weight of that truck in front of your trailer axles, with 8000# of the truck 5 feet from your hitch, but I'm no expert by any means.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

I tow a 37' travel trailer that weighs almost 16,000 lbs using a F350 duallie.
The tonge weight on the 5th wheel is close to 2500 lbs which is a little heavier than recommended by the trailer manufacturer (Sandpiper).

I just turn up the brake controller to 3.5 which makes both the truck and trailer happy even with controlled panic stops.

Towing with a lot of weight on the pintle just takes weight off the steer axle reducing the braking of the towing vehicle.

Your results may vary.

eldgenb

A 10 ton trailer works fine but you need a good truck hooked to it. A 3/4 ton might work OK but I prefer a 1 ton. You need to know the brakes work good and still pay attenion to whats going on around you. Panic stops do not work well.
Holly S*#t tongue weight!! How much did the truck squat with that load that far forward!!

bull

Update! bought a M818, not the one in iowa, but found one closer to home. I'll try to post picks of it one day this week.

anyone looking for a m818 near iowa, that one seemed like a good deal and the guy was nice to deal with, I'll pm his phone number to anyone interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks