• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M880 owner, what spare electrical parts should I keep in the glove box?

w200/m880

Its a stock 360 out of a ram van with stock 4 barrel manifold fitted with a nos thermoquad carb.topped with a dual snorkle filter that i got from a jensen interceptor supplier as cheaper than getting from the states as everyone wants one for their chargers.

Attachments

dtracy22

That Alternator looks like a factory 120 amp but with the wrong brackets. Wiring definitely needs upgraded. The voltage regulator is fine as it doesn't carry the amperage.

All non performance Chrysler engines from late 60's to 82 were Chrysler blue. Performance engines to about 72ish were Chrysler Orange, not Chevy orange(there is a difference). Everything after 83 was black.

tilac999

Thanks for the info. Been working on a couple of things. Back up/reverse lights don't work. New bulbs, sockets look fine. Neutral safety switch works: only will start in P or N. How to test?

Also, horn works but has been by-passed via button on dash. I pulled the cover off the steering wheel and the switch looks OK. Is the steering column supposed to have a ground coming off it? How can I get the horn to work properly?

Thanks.

dtracy22

The horn needs really good contacts in the steering wheel. Make sure the brass strips are clean. It carries the full amperage through the steering wheel horn button. Might be a good idea to add a relay.

busbart

Neutral safety switch works: only will start in P or N. How to test?

Also, horn works but has been by-passed via button on dash. I pulled the cover off the steering wheel and the switch looks OK. Is the steering column supposed to have a ground coming off it? How can I get the horn to work properly?

Thanks.
Put it in another gear then P or N, and try to start???;)
and if i'm correct, there is somewhere on the steering column a tab welded to push a slide connector onto, so you can run a wire directly to: The chassis, or the minus(-) of the battery?

BTW what a beauty!!! I wish mine was like that! Are the rims still 16,5"?
in that case you might think (when these tires are gone) to change to 16" or something, cause the 16.5" tires are going to be very rare and expensive.

Do you still have some 16 Volts at the battery?
try to give the wiring a good measure, I found that somewhere under the hood there is a factory cable weld where more wires are spliced in, also the wire from the voltage regulator(which measures the voltage at that point), and since these trucks are from 1976/77 you have a good chance the wiring (the copper strands) is green/black at several points (that means big resistance), and so if the regulator measures too low a Voltage it will boost up the dynamo so the battery will receive 13.2 V to be charged (at least that's what the regulator thinks, it doesn't know that 16 V get to the batt. in reality)

good luck!

Last edited:

tilac999

Thanks. Yes, I fixed the 16V overcharging issue. It was dropping volts from the harness behind the firewall. I couldn't find the problem so I added a relay so the voltage regulator sees 12.4 volts and now it's charging around 14V. I've read it could be losing volts because of resistance through the ignition switch. I'll try and sort that.

Yes, my rims are 16.5 but the tires are new so I'll be OK for a long time.

Horn and back-up lights are on the same fuse which seems disconnected. PO bypassed the horn. I will try and sort that out and get my reverse lights working today.

tilac999

Got the reverse lights working but not the horn. No evidence of a horn relay in M880 wiring diagrams but parts store lists one for a 77 W200.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks