• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M882

RichM882

Still struggling to find some 16" wheels though. A dealer here in the UK has quoted me $200 for each steel rim !!!! I bet they are cheaper than that in the States ....

Flyingvan911

You'll want to carry a spare ignition module and ballast resistor in the truck. The are great trucks but those two components can fail without warning and put you on the side of the road.

dmetalmiki

And with all the hassle you've already gone through, you now need (deserve!) a "clear" run, or two..(or three or..) I am trying to source some used rims for you..Meantime Enjoy trucking to events near and far.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove those a lot in the Marines, way back when. Good trucks, in my opinion, other than the items mentioned above.
We could have done with better tires, though. The stock ones tended to unnecessarily reduce off-road performance. In Norway, we had locally sourced mudgrip tires that greatly increased ability.

Cheers

RichM882

Yes Rory. I am rather pleased with her performance. Is it true that during the first gulf war the Dodge was deemed to have better performance than the Chevy and larger commercially available rims and tires were fitted in the field. I have seen a couple of photos of M880s with gun mounts and M60 machine guns fitted in the load area. Has anyone else seen anything of this in the flesh ?

dmetalmiki

If I (had to) own one of those trucks, first job after hearing of those repeated problems would be, Skip (as in bin) the ballast relay, and coil. And simply replace with a 12volt coil. Why suffer? Job done.
(Rich, Ah-lah Early Vauxhalls etc).

Last edited:
Had her on the motorway (freeway) and she goes pretty well. 85 mph and more left !!!!
You have an unusual M880 then. My experience of the type here was just about 75 mph on the hardstand (pavement) was all you could expect.The constant 4 wheel drive with no provisions to lock out the front hubs was probably part of the reason it was no speed demon. It was and is a good off road truck with the right tires, but it isn't fast and it won't pass many gas stations.

If I (had to) own one of those trucks, first job after hearing of those repeated problems would be, Skip (as in bin) the ballast relay, and coil. And simply replace with a 12volt coil. Why suffer? Job done.
(Rich, Ah-lah Early Vauxhalls etc).
? These are 12v already. Possibly there might be a radio equipped model that has a second battery and runs on 24v like the Chevy CUCVs, but the base model is 12 v and that is what mine is. I have heard too that the Electronic Ignition Module and the Ballast Resistor is a common weak spot on these trucks, but I haven't had any trouble since I bought mine in 2011. I have spares just in case though. Correcting electrical faults and making sure everything is properly grounded goes a long way to ensuring trouble free motoring.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weird how experiences can be different. I have had Mopar vehicles all my life and have never experienced the high rate of problems mentioned here with failed ignition modules or resistors. That is on M series Dodges, my everyday cars and trucks, and racing. I have used the stock ignition boxes on my daily drivers and the orange boxes for racing for years and many races with only one failure. I have had stock ones with some of the sealing polymer melted out of the back side that kept working. Nice that these boxes have rev limiters in them, the stock ones at around 5,000 to 5500, the orange at about 6500, and the gold ones higher but I have not used the gold boxes, never needed the higher RPM. The ignition system was never a concern, never carry spares as a common practice due to reliability issues because we have had no trouble. I think the advice given about being sure all electrical connections are as they should be is very important and may be the reason for the bad experiences. Now Murphy tells me watch this, your next drive will fail one!! :):)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think my USMC experience with them would fit the bill of "high rate failure". It was an occasional problem spread across a fleet of trucks, so it became a well known one rather than a widespread one, so extras were carried close to hand. They tended to be very reliable.

I don't know how fast ours would go, I never took one over 65! (And yes, they did have "Max permissible speed 55mph" stenciled on the dash :whistle:).

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks