• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M916A3

highway

We were fortunate to receive a 2009 M916A3. I have been looking for one for about a year now to come through the surplus yard. We scored this one from FT. Drum NY last week.

852 original miles. I mean this thing is brand new. Series 60 gen IV Detroit Diesel 400+ Hp, Allison 4070 tranny, Michelin off road radials, vehicle collision warning, power mirrors, heated mirrors, this thing is awesome, factory AC. We are going to remove the 5th wheel and install a dump body and plow hitch for next winter.

Attachments

trooper632

I'm all for US getting theses nice vehicles but it blows my mind to think how the Government can justify selling off equipment like this with so little miles and use, as a tax payer it pisses me off.

When you say "we" are you referring to a municipality or county government , state agency, Indian reservation or something along those lines? If so that could be the reason for getting such a nice truck.
the Indian reservation here gets alot of nice trucks!

highway

I am the public works director for our Town and have been purchasing Federal Surplus property for almost 20 yr. Everything from dozers, loaders and trucks. Our small town of 1,000 people has not purchased a new truck since 1997. We have been buying military 5 tons, Osh -Kosh Mixer Chassis and CUCV's to upgrade our fleet. We build the truck in house as plow trucks or dump trucks and have bought equipment from Japan, Korea, England, Germany and Italy.

I have never seen anything this late model available to us before. I was blown away when it rolled into our yard on the low boy. I scratch my head and wonder what the reasoning is to have a truck like this sent off to DRMO.

I may not be on the right web forum as I am not a private collector. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Ed

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your not offending anyone, we welcome everyone here. We just get cranky when the government wastes our tax money and asks for more! We do love to see these trucks get a new lease on life though. Please post up some pics of the conversion. I think it will be interesting to see.

Well that's a fine looking truck and if it was mine ( being a "purist" type) I'd leave it exactly the way it sits.
However you aquired it to fill your needs of your town, so it will be modified to your needed requirements. You don't have to be a private collector to be here , theres a wealth of info, parts , and support here! I know of more than one member that are here in your same situation. I'm not offended, and glad you have a use for the truck! You certainly sound excited about it. Thanks for posting the photos!

highway

I have to admit, I am a little intimidated by the electronics on it, All of our other builds have been on older chassis and straight forward. The sensor on the front for the collision system has to go or at least be relocated to make room for the plow hitch.

One thing I need to know, can I run the existing pto off the tranny and drive the truck too? I need live hydraulics to power the plow equipment and sander. I think I read somewhere that there was a way to bypass the switch on the A1 and A2, but they ran a different model Allison tranny.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you're doing with the truck is great, exactly what DRMO is for.

davo727

I would also like to know the answer to his question whether pto can be operated while a truck with Allison trans is driving? Please. Im going to put a dump hoist on the bed of my 923a2

One thing I need to know, can I run the existing pto off the tranny and drive the truck too? I need live hydraulics to power the plow equipment and sander. I think I read somewhere that there was a way to bypass the switch on the A1 and A2, but they ran a different model Allison tranny.

saddamsnightmare

March 6th, 2014.

Gents:

Better the gentleman's town got the truck from the government then it sits in a yard and deteriorates. Uncle sells lots of interesting items to city,county, state governments and non-profits. The City I lived in once turned down and operable General electric 44 ton diesel electric switcher for $600.00 plus shipping, said locomotive would have been useful on the city's two mile railways as a museum locomotive.
Sometimes it does seem that Uncle can be profligate on his purchases, but in this case the machine seems to be fairly well designed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks