• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M916A3

highway

Hi all,
Have not posted for a while but we have very happy with the truck so far. So much so that we just bought two more 2010 models from Wisconsin and should be getting delivery sometime next week. We had an unfortunate accident with one of the 10 wheel osh Kosh trucks and it was totaled, so we intend to up fit another one of these M916A3 with another dump body and plow set up.

Happy new year all,

Ed

NEIOWA

Unable to find an electrical diagram. To my understanding M916A3 has dual voltage alternator with main output as 12v and secondary low amp 24v to charge the batteries. Is the only 24v to the starter and mil spec trailer lighting connection with everything else 12V?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unable to find an electrical diagram. To my understanding M916A3 has dual voltage alternator with main output as 12v and secondary low amp 24v to charge the batteries. Is the only 24v to the starter and mil spec trailer lighting connection with everything else 12V?
The -10 TM says this about the electrical system -

TM 9-2320-302-10 said:
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Four 12-volt batteries connected in series-parallel supply the 12-volt electrical system (Figure 5) and provide 24 volts for the starter motor, blackout lights, accessories, and trailer connectors. The system is charged by a 140- or 200-amp alternator. A voltage regulator, mounted on the firewall (M915A3 SN J21548 and below) or on the alternator (M915A3 SN J21548 and above, M916A3, M917A2), regulates the system voltage.
The M916A3 uses a pad mount 24v 140 or 200 amp alternator. The starter is 24v.

24v 140 Amp - Leece Neville BLP3312
24v 200 Amp - Leece Neville A0014964PA

The -20 TM that (probably) explains the particulars of the electrical system as far as what items use what voltage power is still not for public distribution. (You can own the truck, but can't know how to work on it :)) I strongly suspect that the M916A3 is set up similar to other similar trucks - The starter, alternator, and military trailer lighting are 24v, with everything else being 12v. There might be some weird stuff in there like the CTIS or winch is 24v, I can't say for sure.

The 12v for the truck is provided through an Eaton/Cooper/Surepower 52210RB 100 amp 24/12v battery equalizer. This unit has been recalled and replaced with P/N 21100E00 due to fire issues.

Basic electrical Diagram below -

M916A3 Electrical System.jpg

I have altered my M916 charging/electrical system to largely mimic the M916A3 setup, and it can be viewed here - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81412-Photos-of-My-M916&p=1800132&viewfull=1#post1800132

DrillerSurplus

The wealth of knowledge and the willingness of members to take the time to share that knowledge is what makes this site great!

A big thanks to Castle Bravo for this post and to all the others who take the time to share the knowledge and experience they have accumulated. Although I'm a relative newbie, it motivates me to contribute what I can.

highway

The power rectifier reduces the 24 volt system from the charging/starting circuit to 12 volts for the cab 12 volt system. The unit is located under the battery box. We tied into it directly top supply voltage to our two way radio.

Ed

TEAM LEAD

The Army bought close to 4 thousand M916A3 trucks before they were replaced by the M983A4 LET. The procurement spanned from 2000 to 2011. In that time frame several engineering changes were made during production. Wiring schematics are dependent upon vehicle SN. Please let me know if you still require schematics or have any questions about your truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks