• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M923A2 Owner questions

kicker9898

Ok guys I've searched for this stuff, and I'm sure I missed it. However since I haven't been able to find it in a search I hope I can get a couple of questions answered, I appreciate the help.

First question, on the 800 mile trip back, about half way back we noticed that we were losing fluid from the rear diffs. It appeared to be leaking from under the top plate, or the shaft assembly on top. I've checked the fluid and the level is fine. Is this a common problem, are the seals probably bad, vent need to be cleaned, maybe overfilled?

Second question, I notice a clunk coming from the rear when I make a slow speed turn. Is this a normal issue or do I have problems. Sorry for all the questions but this is my first experience with these trucks. Still trying to figure out what is normal and what is abnormal.

Jason

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont know about the diff you will get a lot of replys telling you to look in the tm's though and they are available at the top of the site here. Mine does not clunk at all. I would advise you to get under there and start looking around and pulling on stuff see what moves and what is not supposed to move. maybe a bolt is missing somewhere or the tailgate or racks are shifting. If your ctis is working it does make some weird noises sometimes.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The clunk could be comming from the springs shifting in the spring pockets on the axles

kicker9898

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I actually did check the -10, but didn't see the answers yet. I'm working my way through the other ones though....just to show I'm not as lazy as I look :) Maybe my search-fu is just weak.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check u joints at all the drive shafts. They can clunk when worn and sloppy.

Also check transmission fluid to make sure the clunk is not a down shift or erratic due to fluid issues.

Check the front and rear facing pinion seals and make sure it is not the source of the oil that is accumulating on the top making it look like the gasket is leaking on the plate. My rear axle had the front pinion seal leaking making a nice wet mess as gear oil is thick and dirt loves to stick to it and gear oil likes to cling to surfaces. I have a write up on that if you need to change the pinion seals as the Tm is WRONG on both the front and rear replacement. That gasket should not leak unless the chunk was removed and not properly resealed on reassembly.

dreameweaver

The gear oil is more than likely the diff seals( top of rear end where the thru shaft is) Last 4 of the NSN is 0269 truck takes 8 I believe the transfer takes 1 or 2. As for the clunking is probably the trunion bearings if they are bad or getting that way the rear axles will shift from left to right while turning and cause the clunking

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My springs are bolted in pretty tight I have bounced down a bumpy road the only thing that shakes a little are the side racks
Nothing to do with bolts, the spring pockets are wider then the springs, on a sharp turn the axles will shift side to side

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks