• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M923A2 Owner

todds112

New M923A2 Owner, Purchase Ordeal

428613_6005_0_0004.jpg428613_6003_0_0004.jpg428613_5983_289_0001.jpg428613_6003_0_0009.jpgKind of an oops and won a truck from GP in Utah.

Can you experts look at what I won and give me your opinions on what it might need? What I should take to recover it, etc. Anything that needs extra attention before I drive it back home (175 miles). I know the basics, fluids, belts, brake lines, etc. etc. I'll take all my tools and 3/4 air wrench.

There is a pic of the top separated from the windshield frame. It's hard to tell in the pics, do you think it's torn or just pulled out of the channel. Anyone know of really good strong tape that won't leave nasty sticky residue, just in case I need to tape it up for the ride home.

Should I assume she spent some time in Europe because of the reflectors?

What did I get myself into?:shock:

Anyway here she is:

pic1.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The roof channel looks to be separated from the top.

The drivers side front tire definitely looks to have sat flat. I would not drive it without replacing that tire first.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always just take the roof off and dress accordingly. You think you get looks in a truck, wait til you have a bomber jacket, a flying scarf and goggles on in the weather with no roof!

dawico

Very nice. Congrats.

I am a noob but I brought my truck (923a2) home in the rain with the soft top seperating. It sucked. The stitching was rotted out tying the top to the plastic hook. I don't know of a tape that will hold it together for very long.

A compressor with a glad hand hookup and air chuck would probably be handy. A 1 1/2" inch socket for tire removal as well as a few heavy duty ratchet straps or a come along to move the tires around. Most bottle jacks aren't tall enough to replace a flat so I carry jack stands now to hold it up while I reset the jack.

Ear muffs or plugs. It is going to be a loud ride.

Again, congrats and enjoy. I love mine.

mcmullag

My first one had that roof problem on the way home 860 mile drive. We taped it temporarily ( maybe try gorilla tape). The fix I did when I got home worked well. Gorilla glue, clamp a 4 foot 2x4 across the top to hold it down till the glue dries. As you may know or see on the directions, dampen the area first with water that you are gluing. Best of luck, looks good.

FloridaAKM

Very nice truck for your first one. There are some upholstery shop for boats that can resew the canvas top if you want to go that route. Your girlfriend will get used to it when she sees how much fun it can be, it just takes time (some more than others). Welcome to the obsession! Be safe!

Alexsha

The soft top tearing is a common issue. The stitching that holds the canvas to the plastic piece breaks. You can tape it down but it won't hold for long. I just recently repaired mine using a double stick 3M tape and pop rivets. Since you live in Teton Valley, I live close to your route home. If you want, let me know the day you're heading back north with you truck and you can stop by and we can fix the top real quick. Takes maybe an hour.

20140918_125735_1.jpg20140918_125805_1.jpg20140918_125823.jpg

Oh, and if you don't want your troop seats, bows, and cargo cover, let me know. I need a set for my truck. :)

Last edited:

charger53

RV dealers sell a tape that is for repairing awnings. It works well, but is a permanent non removable fix. It may be worth while to have some with you just in case.

todds112

The soft top tearing is a common issue. The stitching that holds the canvas to the plastic piece breaks. You can tape it down but it won't hold for long. I just recently repaired mine using a double stick 3M tape and pop rivets. Since you live in Teton Valley, I live close to your route home. If you want, let me know the day you're heading back north with you truck and you can stop by and we can fix the top real quick. Takes maybe an hour.

View attachment 530591View attachment 530592View attachment 530593

Oh, and if you don't want your troop seats, bows, and cargo cover, let me know. I need a set for my truck. :)
What a nice offer. I may take you up on it once I figure out all the details.

ChesterCounty

Looks like a great truck and coming from the east coast the price is great considering what some stuff here has been going for recently.
As others have said you can probably forget about taping the soft top down. It will never hold at speed and you could risk finishing the job or loosing it and the supports completely. Honestly I'd check eBay where you can usually find a vendor selling NOS soft tops for around $300. Bring it with you and swap onsite. Very simple fix.
Even looks like the CTIS works on it. (Solid light) or well timed picture.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck.

Use some 3M double sided foam tape (the gray with the red backing) between the plastic channel and the inside of the canvas. Then use some Gorilla tape and cover the seam. Both can be picked up at Walmart. Put the bottom edge even with the bottom of the channel and fold it up. Just make sure all the tape is warm before applying it. The Gorilla tape is just to keep the wind from pulling at the canvas edge. It can be temporary or permanent. If permanent I used clear silicone and went over the edges of the Gorilla tape to keep it from peeling up. Mine has been going strong for about 4 months now. There's some better ways to do it that were posted here but I'm just trying to keep mine together till I can find a hard top. It's held up way better than I expected though.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not post links to pictures on auction sites. The links go dead after awhile and makes the picture useless. The Forum rules even say not to do it.

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:

• Do not post links to auction photos.
• Do not post links to GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA(or other sites)that have links that quit working after a short period of time. Save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.

todds112

No SF97 without manufacture year?

Already a hitch with my GP M923A2 purchase. I called about how to pay for the SF-97. The website says it will appear as an option when you're checking out, but it didn't on mine.

I called the rep and he told me I couldn't get a SF-97 because there was no year of manufacture on the truck. The tag has the SN, but it's blank on delivery date.

Anyone else have this issue? If I can't get a title, I can't get a registration and therefore wont be driving it. I told the guy if I can't title it, there's no sense in me buying it. I would think that should have been explicitly explained in the listing for the truck.

Hopefully CARNAC can get me a year of manufacture, but not sure that's going to give me any help.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put gorilla tape on one and it held for months in Tulsa and lasted for the 1000 mile drive from Tulsa to Tucson. I considered it a semi permanent fix until I got it in this climate. Here it turns to goo...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Already a hitch with my GP M923A2 purchase. I called about how to pay for the SF-97. The website says it will appear as an option when you're checking out, but it didn't on mine.

I called the rep and he told me I couldn't get a SF-97 because there was no year of manufacture on the truck. The tag has the SN, but it's blank on delivery date.

Anyone else have this issue? If I can't get a title, I can't get a registration and therefore wont be driving it. I told the guy if I can't title it, there's no sense in me buying it. I would think that should have been explicitly explained in the listing for the truck.

Hopefully CARNAC can get me a year of manufacture, but not sure that's going to give me any help.

I had that come up once with GL. I figured since it was an A2 that most likely it was a 1990 and gave it my best guess and they gave me a title...

Alexsha

Here in Utah, in the sun the glue on gorilla tape doesn't just goo-ify... It starts to run. And in the cold, it just let's go. The heavy duty 3m won't melt or go brittle and provides a good seal. The rivets hold everything in place.

And GP really should notify you on stuff like that. Would the year be stamped on the frame by where the serial is stamped?

Maybe one of the guys in the salt lake area can go and give the truck a once over for you to see if they can find it.

Last edited:

todds112

Heck, if they let me go preview it, I guarantee it would have a 1990 stamped right there on the data plate.:roll:

I'm sure by the serial number, someone, somewhere could verify what it is. I called my local title office and they were iffy on it. They referred me to the state. The state was equally iffy and said I would have to contact my local motor vehicle inspector. Then it "might" qualify for a "limited" title or a title with no manufacturer on it like a custom built project car or something. I'm sure any of those would do wonders for the re-sale value if I decided to part with it.

I thought all of the A2's were either '90 or '91. I don't see the big deal. Maybe the inspector wouldn't either. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle.