• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M931A2 - advice needed

bevanet

Yesterday, I won a GL auction on a M931A2 in Fontana CA. I have 2 other 5 tons (1 dump 1 cargo) but they have NDT tires, standard trans, and the non-turbo engines. I wanted one with super singles, an auto trans and a turbo. This one is a 1991 BMY.

A couple of the tires are low in the GL picture.
Does the CTIS work well on these?
Do I need to bring an air hose with the adaptor that fits on my older 5-tons, or will it even hook up?
Is it likely that I'll have to put on the spare, if so is it still a 1 1/2" socket?

GL says it starts and runs so I'm hoping I can drive it from Fontana CA to Phoenix which is about 350 miles.
I will have insurance, has anyone used a temp tag from Arizona in California?
should I stop at the weigh station when coming back into Arizona?

Do these have a single piston master cylinder like the M809's?

If anyone else is recovering a truck from Fontana in the next few weeks please let me know!
The members of Steel Soldiers have always been helpful - thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to read the TM!

It has 2 brake circuits, both air.

Do you have a CDL?

Runs and drives means it moved in the parking lot, not that it is safe and road ready for a trip.

Have it hauled.

bevanet

I read the TM and answered some questions. I would really like to hear about member's experiences with the CTIS and low tires, and anyone driving into AZ or in CA. I do not have a CDL but plenty of experience driving trucks. If driving for recreational purposes I don't believe a CDL is required.

camoyj7

CTIS is hit or miss. Out of 6 trucks I've recovered maybe two of them had working CTIS. If you're driving them home plan for the worst and prey for the best. It's best to check with your state on cdl requirements. My guess is you will need a cdl due to weight and not being any kind of rv. Tires that have been sitting flat are like time bombs waiting to go. I agree with Doghead on having it hauled. Without a cdl and driving across two states with possible bad tires sound like bad ideal.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whether you need a Class A or B is state specific so you really need to check with your DMV. I'm sure CA requires one.

As to driving an unknown truck that far..."Do you feel lucky, punk? Well do you?" Not aimed at OP just quoting Clint.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, I won a GL auction on a M931A2 in Fontana CA. I have 2 other 5 tons (1 dump 1 cargo) but they have NDT tires, standard trans, and the non-turbo engines. I wanted one with super singles, an auto trans and a turbo. This one is a 1991 BMY.

A couple of the tires are low in the GL picture.
Does the CTIS work well on these?
Do I need to bring an air hose with the adaptor that fits on my older 5-tons, or will it even hook up?
Is it likely that I'll have to put on the spare, if so is it still a 1 1/2" socket?

GL says it starts and runs so I'm hoping I can drive it from Fontana CA to Phoenix which is about 350 miles.
I will have insurance, has anyone used a temp tag from Arizona in California?
should I stop at the weigh station when coming back into Arizona?

Do these have a single piston master cylinder like the M809's?

If anyone else is recovering a truck from Fontana in the next few weeks please let me know!
The members of Steel Soldiers have always been helpful - thank you!

I would take a air hose.

Yes, I would change the front tire for sure.

The Truck has air brake. no master cylinder.

trooper632

It would be almost impossible to explain to a DOT Trooper on the side of the road that you are using a Tractor as a recreational vehicle with temp tags, get someone with a CDL to drive it home.

5tonman1971

Honestly you should NOT risk driving it home. You will always end up ahead if you have it shipped. Having it shipped you don't have to miss work, you don't have to worry about breaking down and paying 1000$ for a big wrecker to tow you home. A 350 mile haul should be a grand or less and you get a piece of mind that it will show up with no added issues.

bevanet

I have a couple problems with getting it hauled.

1) last couple times I had something picked up, GL sent units that were missing a lot of parts and not working. They did not match the pictures. Their contract says that once you pick it up, its yours even if it is a totally different item then the one you bid on and it does not match the pictures on their site. It is hard to expect a hauler to do a good inspection and compare with the pictures.

2) the best bid I have so far is $1900 to haul it. If anyone knows someone that would inspect it and haul it for under $1000, please let me know!

With CTIS, if it is not working right, can you un-connect the hose at the wheel and inflate the tires manually? Is it a normal Schrader valve? Do you have to plug the CTIS line to keep it from loosing air?

Thank you!

74M35A2

I'm on the minority side, as I say drive it. "Bring a CDL driver" is good advice, if you can do it. Tools, fluids, flashlights, zip ties, charged cell phone, Garmin, and a $1000 worth of magnetic buying power (charge card). Get a 12V outlet with alligator clips on the ends and connect it to one of the 4 batteries under the passenger seat. Then you can power your Garmin or phone the entire trip. CTIS can be inflated there are Schrader valves on each tire, best to bring both air chuck styles, 80 degree (or whatever) and straight.

Lots of GL stories out there. Runs and drives could mean the brakes don't work at all.

5tonman1971

You've got bigger things to worry about then the CTIS not working. Your air dryer could be plugged up, a very common issue, and you won't build air pressure. You could also be missing other air system components, your brakes could be bad, the tires might explode from being flat, your lights could be out, the batteries are gunna be dead, the fuel shut of solenoid could be busted, it could have dry rotted fuel lines, the diffs, trans, transfer case, could be low. The ctis should be the least of your worries it's a quarter turn and a tug to disable the ctis.

Seriously your our best option is to have it towed. I would look on uship for quotes 1900$ for 350 is way to steep, but I still could be cheaper then risking a drive home if your not very knowledgeable of these trucks. I won a truck out of Indy and that's only a 150 mile drive for me. Was about to roll the dice on driving it home but changed my mind. Long story short when I got it home the batteries were dead and all the fluids were fine it started up and ran fine so I took it around the block and 3 miles later boom it shuts down cuase the fuel filters clogged up and I was stuck on the road. Luckily the wife was home and brought the 816 to recover the 923.

So again your best route is to have it hauled you will always wind up ahead.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to help a friend recover his at Ft Hood. The plan was to drive it as it looked good but when we got there the alternator was missing so he had to have it shipped. Once home with a new alternator on it the thing fired right up but the tranny would not shift. That's been over a month ago and he still hasn't been able to drive it.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple problems with getting it hauled.

1) last couple times I had something picked up, GL sent units that were missing a lot of parts and not working. They did not match the pictures. Their contract says that once you pick it up, its yours even if it is a totally different item then the one you bid on and it does not match the pictures on their site. It is hard to expect a hauler to do a good inspection and compare with the pictures.

2) the best bid I have so far is $1900 to haul it. If anyone knows someone that would inspect it and haul it for under $1000, please let me know!

With CTIS, if it is not working right, can you un-connect the hose at the wheel and inflate the tires manually? Is it a normal Schrader valve? Do you have to plug the CTIS line to keep it from loosing air?

Thank you!
No need to disconnect anything to air up the tires, There is a normal inflation stem at the rear of the tire and a stem at the wheel valve. If it won't air up from the wheel valve stem, there is a Shrader valve where the wheel turret is, you'll have to remove the shrader valve with a shrader valve removal tool(Green slime bottle top works the best) by disconnecting the flexible line from the wheel valve where it screws into the wheel turret or air it up from the rear side of the tire easier. I still haven't figured out why soldiers put shrader valves in the wheel turrets! All the tires I have removed them from hold air. Go figure. Maybe they replaced an A2 rim/tire from an A1 truck?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks