• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M931A2 to add to the Steel Soldiers Fleet

Tornadogt

I just won this on GL Auction. It is my first MV and am looking forward to the recovery and joining you guys/gals in this great hobby/obsession.

M931A2pic1.jpgM931A2pic5.jpgM931A2pic8.jpg
This is the GL. Details: 1990 BMY-Division of Harsco M931A2 Truck, Tractor, 5-ton, 6x6. Powered by a Cummins 6CTA8.3 6-cylinder turbosupercharged Diesel engine driving through an Allison automatic transmission and two-speed transfer case. Vehicle equipped with Central Tire Inflation System. Vehicle equipped with power steering. Manufacturer's serial number: 31/00XXX, odometer reads 09312 miles and 0509 recorded hours. Vehicle starts and runs with a jump. Buyer load out required no GL assistance provided.

Low miles/hours looked good to me and on 395/85R20 XZ1 (someone correct me if I am wrong on the tires). Do these tires ride better on the hwy than the older ones???

The only thing I didn't get with this truck was a Hard Top. After the recovery I will defiantly be in the market for one. Plans are to shorten and add a dropside bed 2 1/2 or 5 ton whatever I can get, or maybe a cargo box of some kind to make a camper out of.

350TacoZilla

The tires should be 14.00 r 20 xzl's , also you are not going to need to shorten frame on a tractor they are already pretty short. I would say either a deuce bed or drop side would be fine, either one will need cut down for length.

just to give idea here is a quick "bob" using a 931 tractor and leaving mid axle in stock location compared to a 923 bobbed same way.

both trucks are from members on site.

IMG_20120208_164342 - Copy.jpg20121214_145612 - Copy.jpg

Tornadogt

The tires should be 14.00 r 20 xzl's , also you are not going to need to shorten frame on a tractor they are already pretty short. I would say either a deuce bed or drop side would be fine, either one will need cut down for length.

just to give idea here is a quick "bob" using a 931 tractor and leaving mid axle in stock location compared to a 923 bobbed same way.

both trucks are from members on site.

View attachment 400979View attachment 400980
What I had intended to say was shorten the bed on a 2 1/2 or 5 ton to fit the current frame length. The bobs do look good I always thought the 105 trailer beds just looked to small on a 5 ton..

Last edited:

350TacoZilla

yeah the trailer beds are little small on a deuce or a 800 series 5 ton, the 939 series just make the bed look even smaller. I have only seen 2 of the 939's with a trailer bed on them, one wasnt so bad because they lifted bed and had cover but the other one is just sitting on frame rails and looks tiny. I think you have a great truck to start a bobber with, one great part of the 931's is the increased towing rating they have (37,000lbs VS 15,000 I think) if you plan to actually use truck for work.
bobbed 925.jpg923 bobber 005.jpg

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 8.3 Cummins has an electric fuel solonoid that de-energizes and if it does the truck will not start. Said invention of the devil is on top of the injector pump and has a silver teat sticking out of it. To reset it rotate the lever until it pushes the teat back up into the housing. You will have to have "Soldier B" hold it until the truck starts and re-energizes it or you will have to zip tie it until you crank it. Cut the zip tie off immediatly since the truck will not shut off until you do.

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that it matters, But I was the Support Operations officer in the 501 BSB when the reorganization of 1st Armored Division went to the Forward Support Battalion/Main Support Battalion configuration in 1986. 501 Supply and Transportation Battalion converted to 2nd Support Battalion, then to 501 BSB stationed in Erlangen Germany, supporting 2nd (Iron) Brigade, First Armored Division, "Old Ironsides." One of our 900 series trucks that replaced the 800 series in those years.

jw4x4

I don't think OP intends on shortening the truck, just the bed. My Tructor (932A1 w/shortened 5 ton dropside bed) is just right for me. Its shorter wheelbase than a deuce. Congrats on the purchase. You are gonna love it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend keeping the soft top considering you are in TX. You at least have the option of removing it. You are going to cook either way, but I think you are better off with the soft top. Now, if the hard top is your preference, that is another story. If you are going to install AC, go with a hard top since it will provide better insulation...even though my M925A2 with a spft top and AC does perfectly even on 100+ degree days with a soft top. I actually had to turn it down it got so cold in the cab...no joke. It cost me serious bucks (In the $6K range just for the AC set up), but it is the correct mil-spec unit.

350TacoZilla

I don't think OP intends on shortening the truck, just the bed. My Tructor (932A1 w/shortened 5 ton dropside bed) is just right for me. Its shorter wheelbase than a deuce. Congrats on the purchase. You are gonna love it.

yeah I see what he meant now, had to re-read it. I love your tructor's over all look even keeping the tandems. I have to admit after I posted that bobbed 931 and thought it looked strange it started to grow on me, thinking as long as bed was still usable size (8' or more) it would be a interesting creation to drive.

Tornadogt

Great advice from everyone, I am going for the look like jw4X4's sig photo keeping the truck frame and axles as they are and adding a shortened bed, would prefer a drop-side if I can find one. I figured if I wanted to haul a large trailer with a fifth wheel I could just use a Dolly. I also do want a hard top (I like the look better and should be able to insulate the whole cab). I do want to add AC. I was thinking of adding a 12v system and using something like a vintage air or hot rod air under dash system like we put in our classic cars and hotrods. Yes on the C.O.L.A air brake test I intend to spend as much time as it takes looking over the complete truck before leaving the GL lot. anything I don't like I will have it towed locally for repairs :) then drive it home. ... can't wait until I get my hands on this truck.

Last edited:

Tornadogt

I was thinking of trying to move the tool box and tire rack into to the bed and moving the bed all the way to the back of the cab. jw4x4 from what you did with yours, do you think that would work out?? I will have to measure everything when I get it here. How long is your current bed (it is a 5-ton drop-side?) They start at 14' or 14.5' I believe?? If I put the bed at the back of the cab and use a 2 1/2 ton drop-side I may not have to cut it at all? They are only 12' I think. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

millfire517

This is starting to be my issue now, Do I go with a truck from someone on here who can give me some maintenance history of the truck or get one off of GL for a really great price and put some money into to get it where I want. Decisions, decisions.

jw4x4

My bed is a 5 ton dropside with 55" removed. I contemplated moving the tool box and tire rack into the bed, but left it like it is. Alot less work and it leaves the bed cleaner. I wanted a short truck, so the rear overhang is at a minimum. I plan on making a mount on the front of the bed to store my tow bar (credit rrrr for this one) between the cab and bed. I am certain that you could keep the bed at a longer length and move everything into it. My ultimate addition would be a knuckle boom. That's about the only reason I would move the spare tire and tool box into the bed.

350TacoZilla

I was thinking of trying to move the tool box and tire rack into to the bed and moving the bed all the way to the back of the cab. jw4x4 from what you did with yours, do you think that would work out?? I will have to measure everything when I get it here. How long is your current bed (it is a 5-ton drop-side?) They start at 14' or 14.5' I believe?? If I put the bed at the back of the cab and use a 2 1/2 ton drop-side I may not have to cut it at all? They are only 12' I think. Let me know what you think.
yes 923 beds are 14 deuce is 12 i believe, cant remember but I think rrr had to cut 3' out of his 12' bed to make it fit, if you move bed 1' forward (moving tire and exhaust) you would still need to cut 2' out to get same look rrr has.

jw4x4

This is starting to be my issue now, Do I go with a truck from someone on here who can give me some maintenance history of the truck or get one off of GL for a really great price and put some money into to get it where I want. Decisions, decisions.
A truck from GL is a crapshoot. As far as maintenance, that should be no worries. What to watch out for is missing parts, damage from sitting in the weather with components removed/missing, etc. There also could be mechanical issues. My advice would be to preview it in person, or have someone knowlegdable of the vehicle preview it for you. Also consider the hoops one must jump thru in order to get a GL truck, not to mention the aggravating waiting game for EUC and sf97. Location is also a major factor. I was fortunate enough to get my 932 from Wright Patterson- only a few miles from me. Do your research, be patient. This site is likely your best resource for locating the truck for you.

Tornadogt

Ok i'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to Fort Bliss and picking up the truck Wednesday morning, this is my check list of tools and supplies any thing I missed??????

I would like to get a good part number for the windshield wiper blades I have seen it posted as both ANCO 51-18 and 51-14 if I cant get a straight answer I will just buy both and return the wrong one later
Recovery check list
M939 Series A2

Paper work:​
Insurance​
Paid GL Invoice
To drive on base:
Current Insurance card​
Current Registration paperwork​
Current ID/Drivers License​
Recovery Tools:​
1) TM Print outs and Copies on Laptop
1) Fire Extinguisher (most truck seem have these removed)​
1) Large Hammer​
2)12V Diesel Batteries/Cross connection link (to make 24v)
1) Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
2) Multi-Meter/10 ft. wire and assorted connectors​
1)20 Ton Bottle Jack​
?) Wood Cribbing for jack ect.​
1) Large Socket Set ( Include 1 ½ Socket for Lug nuts)​
1)4 ft. Breaker Bar and adaptors/extensions​
1) Travel Tool Box​
1) Allen Wrench Set​
1) Screw Driver Set​
1) Pack of Tie Downs (at least 4 tie downs)​
2) Heavy Tow Chains​
1) Chain Binder
1) ½ in. Impact
2) Air lines with Glad Hand fitting (glad hand fitting from NAPA)
1) Air chuck w/Gauge
2) Crescent Wrenchs
2) Rolls of Duct Tape
1) Work Gloves
1) Needle Nose Pliers
1) Large Channel Lock Pliers
Recovery Filters/Belt /Fluids:​
Filters:​
Trans Filter 51268 wix , 1268 NAPA $9.29​
Oil Filter 51649 wix, 1649 NAPA $33.99
Fuel Filter 3472 NAPA $19.49
Serpentine Belt K080675 Gates/25080675 NAPA $54.15​
Fluids:​
5)Gallons of 30w Oil​
5)Gallons of Water
2)Fuel Jugs

rrrr

Don't forget some $$$ as well. Good luck on the recovery, the adventure begins.

I have an extensive thread on the build of my m932a1 tructor in the 5 ton section. I used a drop side deuce bed with 3feet cut out. I reinstalled the troop seats as well. It all looks factory. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

Tornadogt

Made it back at 1:30 this morning In one piece 565 miles back and 11 hours on the meter only stopping for food and Fuel. Wasn't a perfict Recovery but what in life is.. Getting up this morning to go hunting and let my back and A$$ heal for a few days. On Monday I will update with details and lots of photos...
THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help..... I still can't get the smile of my face.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks